Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 10:29 PM by axcelx

Best way to set up a small business network via the web

bizstart Wayfarer
      I've been working as an independent consultant for a couple years and have finally turned the corner on growing business enough to hire some additional folks (hoping for another 2-3 within the next several months.) Eventually I suppose we'll need an office :) but in the mean time, I already have one worker hired who will be working remotely. Wondering what online solutions are available to create the equivalent of a secure in-house intranet but via the web. I'd like documents to be super-safe/secure (and to live in one place!) but allow employees to access/update/save documents from any location. Grateful for any input...thanks!
        • Re: Best way to set up a small business network via the web
          sevenforty Newbie
          Give some of the 37 Signals (www.37signals.com) products a shot or try Knowledge Tree if you are looking for something more open source.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Best way to set up a small business

Who are you?? Go to Members page and share some info.

Do you have a Business Name?? Guessing that you have applied for a Federal I D Number (YES you will need the FID number if you hired an employee).

LUCKIEST
              instantv Adventurer
              Do yourself a favor and save money at the same time. Just go and look
              at all that google offers for free. Start by signing up for a free
              gmail account and reading all the services and features provided
              starting with google documents which allow you to share, edit and send
              documents, forms, presentations charts and much more. All your work is
              very secure and password protected and google seems to add new features
              almost every few weeks. You should also look at another service they
              have called gtalk again this is another free service and their are many
              others that will fit exactly what you are looking for.
                getvos.com Wayfarer

VOSTM specializes in hosting small businesses- providing just what you described. http://www.getvos.com/ or 877.2TRY.VOS

VOSTM is inexpensive and simple to use. No messing around with knock-off freeware- VOSTM provides Microsoft® Office and Microsoft® Exchange email, QuickBooks® and many more full products, securely over the Internet. Add some credibility to your business by having your own domain (me@mybusiness.com); gmail, aol, yahoo- all good for personal email but not for business use.

VOSTM maintains your programs and data in world-class data centers. CCTV, biometrix, passwords, dead zones, key cards, etc- ultra secure and ultra reliable. Banks, Investment Firms, State & Fed Government agencies and many other organizations store their data in data centers because it offers the highest degree of security. That's why VOSTM is there too!

Shared calendar, wireless sync to iPhone, SmartPhone & Blackberry- all supported by VOSTM. Remote access is inherent in the solution. Work from anywhere you have Internet access. No VPN, No GoToMyPC, No LogMeIn, No expensive server hardware or complex networking!

You may call me directly, Aron Derstine (614) 425-0135 or email aderstine@vospro.net. VOSTM is just what you need!
                  bizstart Wayfarer
                  Wow - thanks for all the great information folks! Muchly appreciated. Lots for me to investigate...

Re: website....I'm still working on it(!) but will update my profile asap w/more info. Thx. :)

Re: Fed ID (and LLC) - yes, have been thru that circus....and actually answered someone else's related question about 'how to' here:

where does one get a LLC and how

Cheers :)
                    axcelx Newbie
                    Just a suggestion but a VPS (Virtual Private Server). Would be great it can be a Windows box secured in a data center. You can install some open source VPN software and once connected to the VPN they can browse mapped network drives with your documents.

If you need access to the server you can remotly connect via Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) and view the server like it was next to you.

If you move offices this server will not change so there would be no downtime. Also some VPS hosts might give you free email/web hosting and help you setup the package. I would estimte 25$/mo total.

James
                    http://www.axcelx.com/
                    Business Services That Excel
                      getvos.com Wayfarer
                      VOS goes farther than any other solution to simplify business computer resources. Forget the tech talk. VOS maintains the software and Microsoft Office upgrades are free. You run your business programs securely from any computer with Internet access. It's inexpensive and simple. Visit www.GETVOS.com or call (877).2TRY.VOS
                      to learn more!