Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 10:26 AM by GratefulNbles

What is the best way to scout a great location for your business?

GratefulNbles Newbie
      Location, location, location! I know how important it is to find the right area. I have the idea, now I just need to know where to plant it. I would like to avoid paying a realtor, is that realistic? I think anything is possible. So if there is anyone out there that knows anything, let me know. Thanks(smile).
        • Re: What is the best way to scout a great location for your business?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          a great location

YES it is LOCATION. Tell us more

In Journalism they ask WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY AND HOW.

GratefulNbles Newbie
              I will to open up a laundromat in Charlotte, NC. I am a young business woman planning ahead with this venture. That is why I have been seeking advice. I need to own my own business because working a job is not supporting my family and I like I once assume it would. Maintaining a laundromat is just my first step in ownership, I don't think I can just stop there. Once I initially know how to pull myself off the ground. I could probably repeat the initial process. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
              phanio Pioneer
              A lot of your location depends on your business. If you are a destination business - you want to be in a high traffic area within 3 to 5 miles of your target market. If you are not, then you want a location that can help you with logistics, etc. Depends on your business.

I would suggest this. Find a Small Business Development Center (SBDC) - free service. They can help you research locations. They have tools that can measure population at 1, 3, 5 miles around areas you want to be in as well as traffic counts. They have resources that can tell you who these people are thus you are more able to target certain population - e.g. if you sell to age groups 30 to 55 with better than average income - they can tell you where these people are in your area as you would want your business as close to them as possible.

To actually purchase or lease space - you may have to work with a realtor as sellers or landlords usually have agreements with brokers. But, don't be afraid to approach the seller or landload personally - maybe you can work the deal yourself.

Business Money Today
              www.BusinessMoneyToday.com