Post a new topic
    23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 11:21 PM by BusinessToday

What Do I need and How Can I do It?

Danycount9 Wayfarer
      Hello Everyone,
      I am a new member, I am anxious to get informed about small business. I would like to know what do I need to start a small business. That would mean how much money do I need? Do I need any legal papers? Also, what kind of small businesses are there? I am only 23, I am currently pursuing my bachelor in Accounting, I imagine how promising this could be. I am entreating you guys to inform me please and I tremendously admire the fact that you take your time to not only read my message, but also to reply. Thank you!
        • Re: What Do I need and How Can I do It?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          It is always nice to hear from new members and YES hopefully you will get good input from the members.
          How soon do you plan on starting this new business?? NOW while you are in college??
          After graduation?? Will the business be in the Accounting field??
          The more you share with us thebetter our answers.
          Once you have narrowed the field down to what you want to do, DEVELOP A BUSINESS PLAN.
          Come up with a name for the business and register the business.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
            erinoir Newbie
            Are you thinking of starting an accounting business? Some of the more established members of the forum should be able to give you some ideas on legal issues. However, when you first start, you could work out of your home. Make sure you have a dedicated space for work that will not encroach on play areas, especially if you have kiddos, as a potential employer might want to see where you work. Have professional business cards and letterhead made up - those little touches go a long way. (Vista Print often has great deals, just be aware of the add-on sales during the checkout process.)

When you are set up, advertise your services on your local Craigslist page (free) and your local newspaper. I suggest purchasing ads that run for several weeks from the newspaper.

Good luck!
              WEBillions Adventurer
              Sounds like you still have a lot to think about, but it is great that you've started to think about it. As someone who is currently in school and starting a business, I would warn against starting a business at least until you are within 6-8 months of graduating. My business has really taken a lot of focus away from my schoolwork. However, it's great to go ahead and do the brainstorming while in school. One of the great things about school is that there are some many people around that you can ask questions to who will give answers for free (like this site but in person).

The amount of money you would need greatly depends on what kind of business you are thinking of going into. If you choose an internet business, those costs will be substantially smaller.

You will need to fill out some legal papers, such as your ficticious busines name and stuff for your business license once you start.

Coming up with business ideas is not too difficult. I have a post about this at You might consider some problem you've found in accounting that could be taught in a simpler way to the average person. Good luck.
                rowzlandson Newbie
                It's difficult to answer your question without knowing exactly what your business will be doing...try searching on google or yahoo for some resources that can give you a really simple primer on legal basics and whatnot (although even this won't be comprehensive). I agree with the other posters, you should develop some kind of a business plan first -- what "question" will your business "answer"? There are so many issues here it's difficult to address just one of them...there are some good Nolo press books out there that might get you rollin', too.
                  CEO Space Scout
                  To begin with you need a vision of what type of vision you have for your business, what will you do?

Then you will need a business plan and a team and the funds to execute the plan.

I know those are very broad and general answers due to the generality of the questions.

I would suggest you get the free resources from the SBA as a start. There is another forum online called They have covered a lot of information and are your age group.

I have written several articles at under Kathy Hadley that are helpful overviews.

After you've gone over some of that, come back and check in and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck
                    RickFelten Adventurer
                    Hi Danycount9.

You seem to have a solid trait that is necessary to be successful in business: You want to DO IT!! I can't tell you how many people I've met (lawyers, plumbers, electricians, printers, executives, etc) that just don't want to DO IT. This trait will serve you well.

Another trait that you will need is a harnessed passion. What do you really love to do? What will make you get up a 4:00 AM and drive through the worst weather to get to the office? You've got to love it if you want to be successful.

When you find that passion, and harness it, you will be well on the way to starting a business.

The other things are important, so don't ignore them. I just think it is important to discover that you LOVE working on cars and being a mechanic (for example) before you are 6-months into the worlds best business plan to open a flower shop.

Hope this helps.
                      fccgold12 Wayfarer

Goldinterlink is designed to maximize your online earnings while minimizing your efforts. Legitimate work at home business anyone can do.
                      Visit the link below to see if you can promote any of the affiliate programs.

SageTrout Wayfarer
                        Check out Startup Nation - They have free and very comprehensive information about starting a business plus forums to ask questions.

LUCKIEST Guide
                          Maybe this will help, LUCKIEST

h3. 6 Steps to Small Business Success

1. Start Smart
                          2. Plan Ahead
                          3. Set up Systems
                          4. Seek out Sales
                          5. Aim for Growth
                          6. Leverage Opportunities

1. Start Smart.
                          Identify a niche. Don't compete to be the lowest cost provider. Look
                          for what makes your product or service unique and adds a special value
                          for the client and charge for that value. Every business has many
                          facets. Start with what you know and like; start a business that has
                          meaning to you. Keep in mind that we don't know what the future holds,
                          many of the jobs and businesses of tomorrow don't exist today. You can
                          create your own success.

Now is the time to dream. To start smart, you should like the idea of
                          the business. The way to earn a good income and build wealth is by
                          serving clients well, making their life better in some way-it's more
                          than filling a need in the marketplace. To succeed you want to test the
                          idea to make sure your potential clients like the idea too. Test your

2. Plan Ahead.
                          People often ask me why bother with a business plan? Look at the
                          lottery as an example. You may get lucky and get the winning ticket,
                          but the odds are against you when you rely on random chance. I'm a risk
                          taker...but not that much, minimize the risk of going into business and
                          maximize your potential for success. Take the time to write a plan of
                          how you get from point A to point B. A plan gives you a clear future
                          focus and increases your chances of success.

The first rule of a start-up is put some of your own money in the
                          business. As the owner you must be willing to capitalize the business.
                          The second rule is put as little of your own money as possible in the
                          business. Prepare your plan and look for funding for your business from
                          multiple sources, which can include a business loan or business line of

Don't go it alone. Plan ahead now to build your team. Your team may
                          include a CPA and an attorney that you work with as needed. Add a
                          mentor from your industry and get a SCORE mentor to help you plan for
                          success. No one has all the answers. You get more ideas and information
                          by building a success, support team that can help you plan ahead.

3. Set up Systems.
                          The most basic system every business should have is a good financial
                          system. Ask yourself how am I going to generate enough income to
                          support myself and my family. Begin here. Put together a personal
                          budget, so you know what it costs you to live. Now, you can move on to
                          the business budget and sales planning, so you can see how many sales
                          you need to break even and make a profit. The start-up expense plan,
                          operating budget and your accounting software are vital to your

4. Seek out Sales.
                          The daunting question is how do you go about seeking out your first
                          sale. Recognize that since you don't have a big ad budget to be seen by
                          everyone, you need to target a niche and get connected in your market
                          community, be it local, regional or national. You need other people
                          selling for you-not employees-goodwill referrals. Get out and talk to
                          as many people as you can. Join organizations that would have clients
                          for your product or service. Become a visible part of your market, and
                          then ask for the sale. You begin the sales process with people that you
                          know. Yes, it's okay to start with friends and family as your first
                          customers, and then broaden from there.

5. Aim for Growth.
                          The basic tenant of creating a company is that you own the company. You
                          are not just creating a job for yourself. It's less risk and less
                          investment to get a job. Building a business is creating a company that
                          is more than the job itself. Think about the future. How large do you
                          want the company to be in terms of sales, net profit and employees?
                          Your answer to each of these questions will influence how you grow.
                          There are varying costs and profits associated with growth. It's
                          important to make a deliberate choice early about how you want to grow
                          your company.

6. Leverage Opportunities.
                          Good luck. Good fortune. Good timing. All play a part in business. As a
                          business owner, be very clear about your core focus for the business
                          and how it serves clients. Your core business is what pays the bills.
                          Then, as an entrepreneur you are about opportunity. When you see a
                          potential opportunity or stroke of luck measure it against your core
                          business focus. Good fortune is great, when it matches your vision for
                          the business. Always consider if a good opportunity is the right fit
                          for your business. If something looks great, but it's not in sync with
                          your long-term plan and budget, think carefully before committing your
                          company's resources.
                            Bizwiz Wayfarer

If you're looking to start a business with a proven track record of generating income you can actually live off of we have what you are looking for.

If you're looking to work this business from your home office, we have what you are looking for.

If you want a web based business that is already well promoted and enjoying top page ranking in the Google search engines we have what you are looking for.

If you're looking for a business that has postive reviews, awarded five stars, voted most popular and featured on the New York Times we have what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a business with very little overhead costs we have what you are looking for.

If you're looking for a well established network of inter-related businesses primarily based online since 2003.

Our businesses, products and resources have been voted best business resource by and most popular downloaded software by CDnet in 2007.

Our readers have awarded our content five stars.

This is an unique opportunity for you to enter a proven successful income generating business that's experiencing great growth and showing even greater growth potential.

For more information email me at
                              MoneyGuy Adventurer
                              *Many economists are predicting that in 2 years, over 50% of all
                              businesses will be home based because of how much our newer technology
                              makes it possible. Direct Distribution is becoming the method of choice
                              for many manufacturers to get products out to the public as
                              inexpensively as possible!*

*With Gas Prices going through the roof, It only makes sense to find a
                              way to telecommute from home instead of commuting to another location
                              to make other people rich. Businesses are saving money and resources by
                              not leasing Retail or Commercial space to set up a lot of cubicles for
                              people to sit and use the same technology that all of us can have at

*Also, the average Business startup as of this year is $88,000. 95%
                              of all new businesses fail within the first year of operation. Any of
                              the surviving businesses usually only see any profit at all in 3 or
                              more years.*
                              How would you like to be making money and get your investment of $65.00 to $199.00 back in less than a week?
                              *The main reason for failure is because the new business owners are
                              unable to be creative or unique enough to capture the consumers in the
                              marketplace. They put a huge amount of capital into advertising and
                              usually get too small of a return on their investment. The usual return
                              on the normal method of advertising is 1 to 2 percent. They can usually
                              only afford to conduct business on a local basis until profits will
                              allow them to expand Regionally, Nationally, or even Internationally.
                              There is always increasing overhead like building rent, Product
                              inventory to be on shelves, warehousing, happy and unhappy employees,
                              payroll deductions, benefits, utilities, business licensing. The list
                              goes on.*

What is the solution? How can the ordinary person get extraordinary results from starting up their own Home Based Business?

1) They want to seek out a company with a long track record of continued success.
                              2) They want to work with a company that already has a marketing plan and an affordable advertising campaign in place.
                              3) The product or service they offer should be something that EVERYONE Everywhere needs.
                              4) What the business offers must be very consumable and could allow repeat orders on a monthly or weekly basis.
                              5) The company must be solvent and be able to pay you what you earn on time Every Month.
                              *6) You have the ability to have a pay day every day if you choose
                              and not need to stock up on anything because everything can be drop
                              shipped from online transactions.*
                              *7) There is a mentoring system in place to show you how to build
                              your business from experience instead of teaching theory and has a
                              support group to plug in to when the occasional struggle, challenge, or
                              bad day happens.*

*If I could show you (and help you) invest 3-5 hours a week into
                              YOUR OWN Home Based Business (internet based business) and you can
                              SUPPLEMENT your income $500 - $1500 per Month WITHOUT affecting your
                              Current Job or life style, Would THAT be of value to you?*

I can provide you some FREE information about how to do that.

*The opportunity that can provide all of the items on the list above
                              is called the Financial Success System and it has a Multi-Million
                              Dollar Internet Infrastructure already set up in over 64 countries
                              internationally for Home Based Business Owners to simply plug in to and
                              have an instant Global Presence in the marketplace, in an industry that
                              is predicted to be a TRILLION Dollar industry in the next 18-24 months!
                              It is already a 400 BILLION Dollar industry today. Last year our
                              Independent Distributors did over 3.5 Billion dollars in business, all
                              working from like me. In one year, my team has generated a quarter of a
                              million dollars in revenue.*

*Our online Advertising Campaign is also a Multi-Million Dollar
                              Program that will bring you very interested leads from sources like
                              Television, Radio, Satellite Radio, Internet, Magazine Ads, etc. You
                              can invest as much or as little as you like for your leads and*
                              *co-op with other Home Based Business Owners and keep costs very low.
                              All of this for about $49.00 a month if you choose to participate.*

*There are NO COLD CALLS. These leads come from people asking for
                              more information about how to improve their lives and also be able to
                              start a part time Home Based Business.*

*Instead of investing that $88,000 to set up your own business and
                              gamble that you will be among the 5% that won’t fail in the first year,
                              you can spend a couple hundred dollars and plug in to an International
                              Organization that has been around for 28 years and has enjoyed 18
                              quarters of single AND double digit growth and is still growing. The
                              company is traded on NYSE and is having great numbers.*

*This is recession proof and economy proof. When the rest of the
                              economy is going in the tank, our business is flourishing and the
                              biggest amounts of money to be earned have not even happened yet.*

*Imagine putting gas in your car only once or twice a month instead of
                              maybe a couple times a week. It is getting to where gasoline is more
                              expensive than monthly car payments and auto insurance costs combined
                              for many people.*

*Your next step is VERY Simple! Just simply visit my website and
                              order a FREE training package. I believe so much in my business, that I
                              will cover the cost of your training package and will invest $30.00 in
                              to your future, only as long as you are SERIOUS. You have 14 days to
                              review the DVD and if not interested, it can be returned by regular
                              mail and no strings or obligations.*

*If you live near the Portland Oregon area, you can contact me by
                              email and we can arrange getting a training package to you very
                              quickly. If ordering online, we want to get this information to you
                              immediately so you can begin building your financial future from home
                              NOW! This would require just covering the FedEx shipping fee of $9.95
                              to get the package to you overnight and take advantage of working in
                              the information age.*

*Looking forward to serving and mentoring you in to as bright a
                              future as you are willing to work hard for, and wishing you all the

jrundell Wayfarer
                                What you need Most is Support. Support is the Main ingredient to success ! As with any new venture
                                you can draw on the successes of others and therein avoid some of the pitfalls. Anyone who will help you
                                is an asset worth absorbing. I started from scratch a litlle over two years ago on the Internet and after some failures succeeded with the Mentoring and Coaching of successful entrepeneurs that now come back to me for advice on the latest techniques and Strategies for Internet marketing. Its all about sharing and learning constantly and the market changes and New Opportunities Evolve. Many are now available to begin wth the most successful of those I have an updated portfolio at : or all have which have proved profitable for many. My one partner started from scratch as well and she broke $500,000 the first 18mo. We currently have a team approach and Im available anytime Just call me.
                                  gregoryde Wayfarer

you should take a look at You can offer this
                                  e-commerce platform as a value added service. A free ecommerce service
                                  for fifty products, or a low-cost ecommerce platform for 2,000 products
                                  for $30 a month.
                                  They are about to launch some awesome templates, and it is easy to
                                  use. A professional web store with all the tools to build an online
                                  business. And FREE for the first fifty products.
                                  Make money selling your design talents and internet expertise using FastCommerce.
                                    scribesays Wayfarer
                                    Hi Danycount9,

It can be scary launching into business on your own--but believe it or not, now is the best time to do it. I'd say keep networking, let people know about your plans. Email. Send letters. Tell your friends, you classmates, your parents, your grandma--everyone..Because the best way to get business is by word of mouth.

And you might want to develop a business plan. There are some simple free templates here:

Accounting is a great business to be in right now as well. Here's something you might get a kick out of:

Maybe you can relate?

Anyway, good luck!
                                      css1985 Wayfarer

A great way to put yourself through college and help others do it as well....without debt..... Talking to us about our Degrees Without Debt program is the first step. Contact us at Community Service Systems Inc. We don't want people to use (risk) their own money to risk getting into business and can direct you to a web site you will be trained to use. The site is one of the top 20 web sites in the US and Canada to help business people. Or: See our profile and contact info at this site ...css1985

Call us at 503 623 2881

Ask for John
                                        work4home Newbie
                                        What would probably benefit most is paying more attention to posts like LUCKIEST, who provides a lot of excellent insights and feedback. Another option you might consider is speaking with other small business owners and learning what they like and dislike about whatever accounting service or program that they use. More important, be honest with them and simply share what you did on this blog. Demonstrate genuine interest in them, listen to their concerns, and ask questions to be certain that you understand not only what they said but learn what they need. For example, my company began as a small real estate investment company (before the situation became as it is) but developed more into an education and information-type company since I found much more satisfaction in sharing tidbits of information, strategies, and techniques that I learned through the banking and mortgage industries that might also be beneficial to them. What I found is that I enjoyed helping others find real estate investment-type "steals and deals" far much more than using what I knew to out-negotiate someone else. It was also more fun.

Apart from that, LUCKIEST probably provided you with the best, reliable, solid, and accurate feedback and insights. A new business is like a baby; it involves a lot of labor, a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of feeding, a lot of screaming "I cannot take it (or any more of "_") any more!", a lot of patience, and a whole lot of that stinking, constant changing. But the rewards far outweigh the challenges and frustrations.
                                          harishmanek Adventurer
                                          I have an excellent opportunity but for a consideration if interested get back to
                                            lowerbill Wayfarer
                                            It depend what kind of business you would like to start.

Here's what I do and it works for me. Feel free to visit my websites and contact me if you have any further questions.

YouCanTravel2 Wayfarer

Travel is $7 TRILLION industry. Wouldn't you want a piece of that pie?

Helping others to make an income while traveling. Not only do we "Make a Living..LIVING", but we also "Make a living...GIVING!!"

We are firm believers in giving back to the community. I'm pleased to announce that in March 2009, we donated a $160,000 to Big Brothers Big Sisters (in a DOWN economy!!!). Additionally, we have humanitarian trips with our Travel Club. On these trips, you can go to a less fortunate area of the world, build houses for four days, then go to the beach and get pampered for the last 4 days. How amazing is that? And, what's better, you can get paid doing it!!

Our Travel Club membership covers your entire household. Single? No problem! You can take a different guest with you on each trip if you'd like (or the same guest if you like them that much!). There are over 200+ trips on the calendar this year and you can take as many as you'd like. And, what's better...if you refer four people to our Travel Club or LTC program, your monthly fee is waived FOREVER!!

But, the best news yet....we've just launched INTERNATIONALLY!! We are the #1 World Leader in Travel. With a "match or beat guarantee" on the best online price, how could you not want to join us and get a piece of the 7 TRILLION dollar industry?

With the baby boomers retiring at a rate of 1 every 8 seconds and all they want to do is TRAVEL, now is the time to jump in!!!

So, what are you waiting for? Go to and click (1, 2).

Then be sure to go to our "DreamTrips" link at the top to check out our Travel Club.

creativeiads Wayfarer
                                                  Luckiest has good points.
                                                  Make sure you like the business what you plan on doing. Dont get into only because you want to make wealth.
                                                  Plan ahead with a business plan. Do market research to know about your products and competetion. Have extra financing in place as you are bound to need more than what you initially plan. You need to have reserves for atleast couple of years to not get paid while you develop your business.

Mike Varavooru,
                                                  harishmanek Adventurer
                                                  I have got some buisnss ideas which you can benefit but for a consideration if interested then get back to