Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 3:55 AM by vistasad

Finding Market Research

right9411 Newbie
      I run a small construction business, and find myself working endlessly on a business plan. I need help finding research to formulate my opionions on. Not only do I not know where to look, but I have no idea how much it cost, or if the company can afford it..
        • Re: Finding Market Research
          Analysight Newbie
          Start with the Census Bureau. You're in the construction business. Each industry has a North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code. Find the one for your industry - and the codes for the industries your firm wants to serve. Next, the Census Bureau conducts an Economic Census every five years (the last in 2007). The Economic Census contains information by industry, including the number of establishments, broken down by both receipts and employees. The Census Bureau also publishes similar information at different geographical levels - ZIP code, Metropolitan Area, County, State, and National - through County Business Patterns. All of this information is free at: County Business Patterns can be found at: (http://www.census,gov/epcd/cbp/view/cbpview.html).

Other sources you may want to check include U.S. Trade & Industry Outlook, by the U.S. Department of Commerce (; Infrastructure Industries USA: Industry Analyses, Statistics, And Leading Organizations, by Gale Research; and Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios, by Dun & Bradstreet. These last two sources should be available at any public library with a good Business reference desk; if not, try nearby college and university libraries. They should have these sources.

If you're still stuck, you can contact Analysights. We specialize providing market research to small companies like yours. You can check out our web site at:

I'm happy to answer any additional questions you might have.
          • Re: Finding Market Research
            vistasad Adventurer
            I'd say talk to a couple of bankers first. Each one will provide you some education regarding the whole issue.

<!--Session data-->