Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 4:31 PM by LUCKIEST

Does anybody volunteer??

LUCKIEST Guide
      Does anybody (besides me) volunteer their time or services??
      There is a trend where volunteers are now being paid for the work they perform.
      It may sound like an oxymoron, but an ever growing number of retirees are being paid.
      Comments, LUCKIEST
        • Re: Does anybody volunteer??
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          I do. It's mostly pure physical labor kinds of things (not at all related to my profession) with no compensation (but plenty of rewards!). Although I don't do it often, I have facilitated planning and team building sessions, conducted training classes, and given speeches for non-profits -- but these are always an "in-kind donation" arrangement (they don't actually pay me anything, but the fair value of whatever I did shows up as a donation to them).
            BDS INC Adventurer
            Sure I volunteer because it is the right thing to do but a benefit for many small business owners is the networking opportunity. I volunteer at Second Harvest in Charlotte, NC and on a project I met a ReMax agent who I constantly do business with. She finds me tons of listings before they hit the market, she provides me listings of properties before they hit foreclosure, it is a great relationship. That is a great by product of volunteering, you have the opportunity to meet with and network with people in a comfortable environment. Once you get these people talking you never know what business opportunities might arise.
              WEBillions Adventurer
              Sure, I love to volunteer for something I care about. Living in Berkeley, there are all sorts of environmental things I can do, beach cleanups and tree planting. I also really enjoy mentoring. That's why I tend to answer so many questions, because I love to give my opinion--whether or not anyone listens to me. :)

Anyway, it sounds like you may be trying to figure out how to get people to volunteer. So, people volunteer for things they care about. Thus, you need to explain why whatever it is you want them to volunteer for it important to them. How does it help the environment or further their career goals? Career goals are a big motivator.Make it clear how helping you helps them. Then, to them, it won't really seem like they are doing it for free. They will be doing it to make more money in the future.
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  Does anybody volunteer??

YES, I volunteer to give back to the community that in the past has given so much to me, my wife and family.

As I get older and retired from day to day business, I started with SCORE. I am a Score counselor both in person and online.

SCORE (as everybody is FREE) helps people in Business.

I am also involved in our local Farmers Market, Treasurer of the Friends of our local Library. (Yes Libraries have Friends of)

And Treasurer of Not for Profit. <br /<br />*As WEBillions wrote **people volunteer for things they care about*<br /<br />LUCKIEST