Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2009 6:35 PM by vnavguys

Finding a wholesaler

Kingsarms1 Newbie
      Searching the internet for wholesalers is starting to become fustrating. Most wholesale searches end up being a chinese manufacturer for sporting goods Mainly replica jersey's and sports footwear. After researching into these cheap and profitable goods, most are considered to be copyright and could end up being seized by customs. What is a good starting point to finding a wholesaler, as i know that being a small sports retail business, the likes of adidas and nike are going to be too expensive to deal with. Is it possible to get a list of USA wholesale distributors. I need to find a few suppliers to finish my business plan, especially the finacial plan. The price of goods paid for and the overall profit per unit is needed, to give investors and banks a good idea of how and when they will see a return on their investment, and the term it will take to pay back a loan. Any advice would be appreaciated as i feel i have hit a brick wall, and need some extra bull dozers.
        • Re: Finding a wholesaler
          instantv Adventurer

You may want to go over to http://www.alibaba.com it is a great B2B marketplace with sources to fit you needs. You can signup for free and interact directly with wholesalers of all kinds from around the world including the USA.
            vnavguys Tracker
            I know exactly what your talking about. Most so called wholesalers are really middle men. They are tons of scams, so what you really need to find is some businesses that will either sell you products to inventory or drop ship them for you. The key is to find a "real wholesaler" A real one never charges a monthly fee to belong to their club or site. A real one also manufacturers or makes their own items. I went round and round on this when it came time to sourcing my own stuff. I joined world wide brands (no I am not a representive of any kind) They offer a yearly fee and they database real companies that are pre approved to offer products. You just fill in the form and you already have your foot in the door. They carry a lot of different items in all kinds of categories.
            What are you looking for? Maybe I can help. (free) I paid $300 bucks for a lifetime membership, I am not sure if they have that anymore, it used be like $20 per month. You will have to check it out.
            Ken
                Kingsarms1 Newbie
                I am mainly looking for a supplier (I know I am going to need more than one) in the four, (well you could say five) major sports Soccer, Baseball/softball, basketball and football. My ideal inventory would be 4 styles of cleats/running shoes for each sport. This would be my main priority as my target customers would be the local high school and little league athletes. I would also be after the accessories such as replica shirts, bats, balls, shinguards etc... I wouldn't be stocking all the sports at the same time, as this would tie up money in inventory which could be used for the sport(s) that are in season. Like before, the only sites that i have found and got responses from are those from china, offering authentic products at a great price, you can also find the same company selling goods on ebay, but they are much more expensive since they sell them in single units and the shipping price makes up for the rest of their profit, which working the price out in retail for the customer, the consumer is still getting the jersey (example) for a discounted price saving $20-$30, which could still be sold in a store and make the same profit. I'm just not too sure on the goods going through customs and having them being seized, regardless of the success a company states that they have with customs. I don't mind paying a little higher price for goods, as this i expect with starting a new business untill inventory starts to move. Hope this gives you a little better idea of what i'm after. thanks