Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 12:53 PM by amspcs

Accepting International Credit Cards

franmarinc Newbie
      I am a very frustrated small business owner, here is my story:

I sell aircraft parts and 98% of my clients are overseas, I mainly sell to small airlines in the Caribbean. Since business is growing we decided to open a Quickbooks Merchant Account to receive credit card payments. For a while we did not use the system but them I got 3 new clients that only pay with credit cards. These clients are in Turk and Caicos, St. Barth and Curacao. I was contacted by the risk department from Quickbooks and they shut down my account saying that is too risky and they are holding for 272 days (???) a payment I received for $831.88 while they do some investigations...

In the mean time I decide to open a new merchant account with Merchant One, everything was working perfectly until 2 weeks ago I was contacted by the risk department and ask me for sales documentation and I sent them Invoices, Airway bills, client contacts, etc. Today I tried to receive a payment from my client in St Barth and the gateway gave me this message: "Merchant Account Invalid", I called customer service and they told me that my account was closed and that I needed to contact the risk department. I am afraid that they are goilg to held "hostage" 10K dollars I have pending.

At this point I don't know what to do, we have projected sales of 1.5 million this year and we have been in business since 2003, we are a serious company trying to survive this crisis but stupid things like this keep holding us up. I really need to offer my clients the possibility of paying by credit card.

Anyone going through a similar problem or know of a SERIOUS credit card processing company that can help us?. I receive around 20K / month in credit card payments.

• Re: Accepting International Credit Cards
          fundme Wayfarer

Been doing some checking around and found not many processing companies will be able to help you out.

HEARTLAND, RETRIEVER could be your answer!!!

Brian Faulkner

LUCKIEST Guide
            Accepting International Credit Cards, Welcome

Contact Barry at AMSPCS. He should be able to help you out.

Tell him you heard from LUCKIEST
              amspcs Ranger
              Fortunately there is a rather easy solution to your problem: You need to open an 'overseas' merchant account, not a domestic one. I said easy, not necessarily inexpensive unfortunately, that that IS your only solution.

Forget about doing predominately foreign charges with any domestic processor, including Retriever, Heartland or any other. They just aren't willing to accept the risk.

The entire story is a very long one, but to make a long story short the issue is risk. When a transaction occurs from an overseas source, there is for all intents and purposes absolutely nothing the processors can do when one goes sour--chasing a debtor down and instituting legal collection tactics are
              obviously not feasable when the debtor lives many thousand miles away in a foreign land..

So what your current processors are doing is holding the funds until they are 100% positive that the sale is good and collected, and you won't see your money until that happens no matter how long it takes. Extreme as that is, it IS a legitimate right the processors have. The processors fear that if the deal goes sour and they are out the money, you might not be able to absorb the hit when they look to you for reimbursement if they have already paid you, which is why they don't pay you and avoid putting themselves in that position..

Again, the answer to your problem is an overseas merchant account. I know of a couple of sources out there who might be of interest to you. Email me your contact info and we'll discuss