Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2007 7:21 PM by puzzleman

Managing the "90-day Wonder"

MSH.TRAINING Newbie

This question is directed to those of you who hire and or manage employees: "How can we get beyond the 'interview mask' presented by the potential new hire; and then deal with the shock of discovery after that employee passes the 90-day waiver period?" I call this the 90-day Wonder Employee --- "I wonder why I hired him/her." Added to this question is a tool that I have developed. I'll explain quickly:

I have an interview instrument that takes less than 2-minutes for a person to complete. If you are familiar with the Luscher Color Test, I have converted this test from a stress test to a behavior awareness profile. It provides awareness information related to self esteem and confidence, how a person manages change, how he/she automatically reacts/responds, and how stress is managed at the moderate, high, and very high levels. The awareness information is presented and can be used very effectively in an interview situation.

My question relates to marketing this product. Would you as a business owner/manager use such a product? Experimentally, it measures "face validity" which is suspect at best in most academic settings. But as an awareness tool, it works. Your experience / feedback will be greatly appreciated.

MSH Training
        • Re: Managing the "90-day Wonder"
          WEBillions Adventurer
          I think people would definitely use it IF it was marketed well and IF potential employees allowed it. I consider myself a very honest person and I'm not sure I would want that used on me. I would have a lot of concerns about how accurate it was. But, I would say it's worth trying to market.
            Marzipan Wayfarer

A 2 minute interview may have potential if it can be marketed as a "supplement" to their existing interview process. Does the interviewer have access to interpretting the results, or do they have to get the results by submitting to you/online, etc? Is this something you can trademark? How can you prevent others from copying this interview instrument and passing it along to their friends? Does it also come along with an instructional book? I would also be very interested in learning more about the author's credentials, etc.
                MSH.TRAINING Newbie
                Marzipan,

This is a supplemental profile to be used by an interviewer as an aid or guide in the interview process. Results are only awareness information, and are not to be seen or used as "diagnostic" data. At the present time, submission on-line is the only way I'm transmitting the data. I have copyrighted the profile, have a training program for interpreting and using the results, and have considered selling limited disc containing a specific number of profiles. My background includes 20+ years as a practicing psychologist, where I did use the profile with my clients -- it helped tremendously in moving clients along in the counseling process (I was a cognitive based therapist). Managed Care pushed "brief" therapy generally approving 4-6 sessions -- a therapist's nightmare. Managed Care was my motivation for leaving private practice.

Using the profile generated many successful outcomes -- and led me to develop a process I called Self Coaching. Since leaving private practice, I now do training and have retired my psychology license. Let me know if additional information is desired.
                MSH Training
                LUCKIEST Guide
                I have heard of two minute dating. The two minute interview for whom??
                All people in all situations?? Doctors??, Dentists??, Engineers??, Sales??
                Does everybody get the same interview?? What about COSTS??
                Costs need to be know to MARKET?? Are there volume discounts??
                What proof do you have that it works?? This sounds like a tough sell.
                LUCKIEST
                    MSH.TRAINING Newbie
                    Luckiest,

The "two minutes" refers to the amount of time needed for a participant to complete the profile sheet -- usually less than two minutes. The profile results then are used by an interviewer as awareness information. The results might guide an interviewer to ask questions to help generate more indepth information from the interviewee. If you have a chance, read the response from Lighthouse24 and my reply to him. He does an excellet job of raising research and legal implications that need to be considered.

I appreciate your response.

MSH Training
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

Probably not.

I have used a behavior description interviewing methodology for nearly 20 years to get through the "masks" with GREAT success. I could not endorse it more strongly. A good BD interview takes more than 2 minutes (45-60 minutes), but I consider it time well invested -- as you noted, the back end consequences of a bad hire are way more expensive.

I might consider using the tool you propose as a supplemental aid -- but I would have to see the research studies that proved the tool had been truly validated with statistical samples confirming that it was not biased (i.e., it did not inadvertently discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, religion, sexual preference, etc.). Otherwise, the tool that was supposed to save us time could end up being used against us in court. You'd have to provide that research as part of your "pitch" to me -- and if you gave me (or most other knowledgeable HR managers or company execs) any "junk science" in the process, it would probably ruin your firm's reputation. On the other hand, if the instrument is the real thing, you might make a fortune!

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
                        MSH.TRAINING Newbie
                        Lighthouse24,

Thank you for the feedback. You appear to have a great deal of experience and I value your input. I agree a good BD interview takes more than 2-minutes; the awareness profile I am proposing is nothing more than an aid, and perhaps a guide to asking more directed or indepth questions. The research question is one that I will have to deal with, and I have been trying to secure the assistance of graduate students to run validating studies. My experties is not in research, but I do realize the value and need. As an HR manager, do you view "Face Validity" as having any relevance, or would it be viewed as "junk science?" Also, would an instrument promoted as producing "Awareness" and not to be used or seen as "Diagnostic" be subject to legal ramifications if it is properly applied as a supplement to the interview?

Lastly, do you consult professionally with individuals like me? I would welcome an opportunity to enter is discussion and dialogue with you on this subject.
                            Lighthouse24 Ranger

I think my HR managers would view Face Validity as "NO science." It would scare them away. Their fear would be that the test would inadvertently disqualify a disproportionately high number of applicants in a protected class. Consider this example: You can't legally ask people in an interview if they have ever been arrested -- only if they have ever been convicted of a crime. One reason is because black males have a higher arrest rate than other applicants, and the question might lead to them being unfairly disqualified from employment. Yet some might argue that black males are the perpetrators in a disproportionately high percentage of crimes, therefore the question has "face validity." I'm sure you can see the issue.

That said, businesses with fewer than 15 employees don't generally have to worry about that if they don't want to - most federal employment laws relating to discrimination don't apply to them. So if you had a product that served the very small business owner, face validity would be enough.

I am a huge proponent of assessment instruments for awareness and learning. We also use them as diagnostic tools for an array of management and teambuilding problems. Yet even the most respected, widely-used, and continually validated "personality tests" have not proven to be accurate predictors of job performance.

There ARE some pre-employment screening tests for honesty and other desirable employee behaviors that have scientific validity, and some have been around long enough to withstand court challenges. My employment attorney endorses their use, but in general, they have to be used the way drug tests are - the candidate has to be selected already and the offer made, with employment contingent on passing the test. The test can't be used to pre-screen candidates before selection, only to pre-screen employees before putting them on the payroll.

The answer to your final question is "yes," and I'll assume that you're giving me permission to contact you about it through the website listed in your profile. Thank you.
                                MSH.TRAINING Newbie

Lighthouse24,

Great response. Information and detail so appreciated. Yes, please contact me through the website.

MSH Training
                                    puzzleman Tracker
                                    Concerning the 90 day wonder that you speak of, I have found that within the first few days I have gut feeling as to whether the person is going to work out. Everybody develops this over time and just have to trust their feelings. You do not have to have an excuse to let a probationary employee other than they were not able to the amount of work they needed to do at that time in their time at the job.

I feel that the only reason that people get to the 90 day mark is due to management hoping that the employee works out because we need to fill that hole in the schedule. This is just hiring warm bodies, not hiring employees. Even if it hurts in the short term, get rid of the bad. In the long term it will be worth it.
                              DomainDiva Ranger
                              I would gladly use this product. Hiring in the technology world is a nightmare!