Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 5:36 PM by SamNam

Is Our Website Conveying The Right Message?

SamNam Wayfarer

I wanted to get some feedback and any
      advice from everyone.

I am an Account Executive for a
      software company called InfoStreet, Inc. ( We
      currently have a product called StreetSmart 7. StreetSmart is an online
      office collaboration software. Recently we changed our website design
      to convey a more problem solving message. Before, we were more about
      the technology and less marketing driven. I feel that since we have
      done the switch, we are having a hard time keeping visitors stick to
      the site. Tthey bounce after 10-13 seconds and I know if we don't get
      the message across in 15 secs we are doing something wrong.

I'd like for you to take a look and tell me what aspect of marketing
      are we missing. What message are we sending with the current website
      and how can we clarify our message so we get better leads.

• Re: Is Our Website Conveying The Right Message?
          Iwrite Pioneer
          The short answer is "no." But I think you know that. The message doesn't show that you know who you are talking to. Ask yourselves these questions:

Who is your target audience?

What are their concerns?

Do you convey that you understand them and their situation?

How is your business different or better?

Price or cost is the easy answer. It is sort of like going out on a first date with a person and they ask you, "what is it that you like about me?" Most people respond with the obvious, but if you are really interested in this person your answer is unique and insightful. Instead of saying it is the person's personality, you say "I love the way you seem to be comfortable around anyone, like you are at peace with yourself." How do you image a person might respond to that? The same is true with business people - they want solutions that show you understand.

Take a look at these headlines and see if they convey what your target wants to hear:

1. If you're spending all your time on IT issues, who is spending time running your business?

2. IT should help you run your business better, not run you ragged.

I know these are not my best lines but I am doing this on the fly but hopefully you can see what I am trying to say. Dig deeper with your message. Saving money is important but I would rather save my sanity.

Hope this helps. I suggest you start looking at some of your favorite websites and pay attention to how they speak to you. They don't have to be competitors' sites, simply sites you like to go to. There is no law that says you cannot incorporate some of what they are doing into your site. And please consider losing the template look. It makes your site feel like I have seen it before.

Good luck.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            The site states that "StreetSmart is Small Business productivity software" and poses two questions up front:
            Is your small business looking for ways to reduce costs without sacrificing quality?
            Are you spending too much on IT servers and software and people to run the systems?

Who would answer "yes" to those questions and dig deeper? Probably a small business owner or senior manager, but perhaps not the potential users of the software who might have the functional problems it addresses.

When a regular small business (i.e., not one that's in business to provide IT-related products or services) has high IT costs, it's often for one of two reasons:
            (1) The business already has enterprise management solutions in place that are too large or complex to manage in-house. Trouble is, those solutions usually have a lot of interfaces or integrated modules (for instance, hooks to time and attendance, product inventory, maintenance scheduling, etc.) so your product can't simply replaced them. Consequently, the decision maker might not be buying your main marketing point -- that this will remove technology burdens and dramatically lower IT costs.
            (2) The business is using individual, isolated, and standalone IT solutions and applications to accomplish badly what your product does well. In this case, your product would seem to provide both functional benefits and lower costs -- but the decision maker probably has no idea what his/her real IT costs are (for instance, if he didn't authorize the purchase of any new computers last quarter, he may think they're zero) and he may not be aware that there's a better way to do business.

So if you're marketing this directly to the decision maker, you might have to gear the up-front message a little more toward (a) solving a functional problem that he already knows he has, (b) educating him a little about the cost/expense problem he may be overlooking, and (c) showing how your solution solves both.

You might also ask if targeting the owner/manager is the best approach. Even though it's a technology product and a business management solution, driving the sale and implementation of a software solution from either of those perspectives can be a challenge. With some software, it's easier to "get in the door" by targeting and selling the most infuential users and/or those who will see/demonstrate the fastest return-on-investment rather than owners/managers. A solution that's driven from inside-out, rather than top-down, is often more successful in terms of retaining license fees month after month, upgrading clients to new products or add-ons, and even referrals (sell a good salesperson on a tool that increases sale productivity and the results she gets will sell it to the rest of her company -- and to the next three companies she works for). Again, this may or may not be the case for your product -- it's just a question I'd ask. Who is going to land on this website and why, and what do we need to tell them immediately that makes them say, "Wow, I think I might need this!"?

Hope that helps. Best wishes.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              SamNam Wayfarer
              WOW, I really appreciate the great and insightful feedback from the both of you. It's interesting that internally we thought about conveying the message of finding the right solution for a problem, however, the current economic situation geared us towards the cost savings pitch. I guess in essence we are not even saying what they are saving their money on?
              One problem that we face is having a message that encompasses our whole product as a solution. The software has so many features such as email, calendar, task, CRM, etc. which makes getting one simple and effective message out difficult. Do we break the message up or package it? I am going to take your feedback into our meeting room and discuss in our meeting and will definitely update the post.
                SamNam Wayfarer
                Have great feedback, but the question is more complex.