Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 10:52 AM by bounceman

New Business, Miniature Golf Problem with ADA Restrooms

bounceman Wayfarer
      I am trying to take over a miniature golf course that has been vacant for several years. The local codes said that I cannot open unless I bring the restrooms up to ADA Standards. I am only taking over for a season or 2 untill they find a developer for the lot. To redo the bathrooms would cost 20 to 30 thousand dollars . Not worth spending this money. I read somewhere in the past that if it cost a lot to bring a small business up to these codes and caused a hardship then perhaps we can get away with just the existing restrooms. Any help would be great. Thanks Lyle
        • Re: New Business, Miniature Golf Problem with ADA Restrooms
          phanio Pioneer
          Not a lawyer - would suggest you find an attorney. Or, try SCORE (score.org) or talk to your local SBDC.

Business Money Today
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            LUCKIEST Guide
            New Business, ADA Restrooms

11 posts. Who are you?? Talk to your local council person
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              What you read in the past probably pertained to those small businesses that had continuously occupied facilities that were constructed prior to 1993. (It was recognized that complying with ADA standards would create a financial hardship for them, and they were given some time and leeway to provide reasonable accommodation.) By now, most jurisdictions expect such reasonable accommodations to have been achieved (and any necessary architectural modifications to have been completed) -- so if they haven't been, the burden falls on the new owner/occupant to take care of it prior to reopening the business (otherwise it would just drag out forever). That sounds like what's happening in your case. So normally, you just have to consider it an investment cost and part of your start-up expenses.

In this case, depending on the political and economic climate of your locale, you might be able to attain some type of temporary/seasonal operational permit, especially if you're going to provide jobs, increase the tax base, improve the property (generally, neighbors prefer an open business to a closed one), etc. So you might contact whatever local office is responsible for ADA compliance, as well as the local elected representative for the district in which the property is located to see if you have any options in that regard. If you have a local disabled rights activist (individual or organization), you might consider approaching them early on, as well -- explaining that given the situation, the only viable options are to do nothing (leave the business closed) or find a satisfactory temporary solution. They might have some insight in this regard, and if they're on your side and supportive of your plan, it will likely improve your chances of being permitted to open.

Hope that helps. Good luck.