Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 4:20 AM by Dima1736

A Good Resume or A Good Blog?

iyazam Adventurer
      Every so often I need to hire someone for outsourcing work. When I post on different sites I get two types of people responsing.

1) The resume job seeker

2) The blogger job seeker

The resume job seeker is someone who spends lots of time polishing up his resume. He hopes to get a job based on a good looking resume and of course past experience.

The blogger job seeker is someone who will share his or her knowledge in order to pre-sell themeleves to a potential employer.

Who would you take in a case like this?
        • Re: A Good Resume or A Good Blog?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          I'd be willing to interview either -- someone with a good resume and relevant experience, or someone who was actively demonstrating the knowledge/skills I needed. But I'd make the decision to hire (or contract work to) the individual on the basis of an interview (because what I see on paper or in a blog simply tells me that the person knows what he or she is supposed to be able to do -- I need the interview to find out if he/she is really going to do it on the job).
              Iwrite Pioneer
              I have seen great resumes that communicate a willingness to share knowledge and I have read blogs that were more about making a person look good and less about providing knowledge.

The interview is key. I am a huge fan of a longer interview process than a sit down talk. Most advertising agencies I have worked for have a longer process that sometimes involves multiple interviewers and even a meal. You can learn a lot over a meal. I know this cannot work for every business but it is important to spend some real time with a human being.
              DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer

In this day and age more and more people are seeking work online. Job sites are receiving thousands upon thousands of resumes daily. I think having a blog as well as a resume can help you stand out from the crowd. I don't think an employer should choose between interviewing a candidate that has one or the other, but I certainly would be more inclined to interview a candidate that had both!

They say when you submit a resume' to a job posting online the odds of a person actually reviewing it are slim to none. This is simply due to the sheer volume they receive. Anything you can do to stand out in a positive manner should be encouraged!

wordperfect Scout

Hi, I tend to go with the "depends on the interview" camp.

I learnt a long time ago that a resume is often not worth the paper it is written on, I guess the same could be said for a Blog.

That is especially true here as I have received many resumes from people from "other lands" ie, NOT Chinese who somehow tend to have memory lapses or are confused about their work experience or education back in their home country.

Possibly they are gambling on the interviewer not checking?

As someone else said, I am more interested in what someone CAN DO, rather than what they say they HAVE DONE.
                  ClockingTime Newbie
                  But if you are considering who to interview in the first place, you've got to make a decision on the blog or the resume. I'd say it totally depends on the content. If you see a great resume, it's worth getting him in for an interview. On the other hand, if you see a well designed blog with great content, you can glean a lot from all the information and presentation there.