Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 2:07 PM by Ryback

Need to start accepting credit and debit cards

SMERepair Newbie
      I have been in business for a year now and its getting to where im loosing money not accepting credit and debit cards. I'm run a mobile repair service so i'm needing a merchant account and a gateway that I can use with my laptop. I have wireless internet on the laptop so i can get onto the internet and look up schematics and technical refferances while on the road. I dont have a website so i'm guessing the gateway is what i need to actually type the numbers into. Any suggestions on the best priced and secure accounts with what im doing would be appreciated.
        • Re: Need to start accepting credit and debit cards
          sbrookens Newbie

I noticed that you are interested in accepting credit cards. I am in the credit card processing business and am willing to help you out if you are still interested. There are a few different options that you have. First, you could get setup with an online gateway, like you suggested, but you really need a website to do that most efficiently... Secondly, you could go with something like paypal or a credit card application for your blackberry or iPhone, but those options are by far the most expensive. I would recommend you go with something like a wireless/mobile terminal that allows you to physically swipe the credit cards- that will definitely be the most efficient and cheapest option. I will give you a quick run down of how this business works (its confusing stuff so make sure you do some research on your own as well). Here is the basic principal that you want to remember: if the card is present (swiped) you save money. If you manually enter the card number into a machine or the number is entered in an online gateway you will pay the highest rates. Now, it is totally up to you what you do, but just remember that fact. If its all about convience for you, then maybe setting up a paypal account or going with a blackberry/iPhone application is your best bet. But, if you really want to save money, then a mobile terminal is probably what you want. It allows you to swipe cards which saves you money. If you are interested in getting more information I am totally willing to help you out further (because there is a lot more you need to understand if you want to get the best possible rates). Feel free to call me/e-mail me if you are interested.

Thanks for your time and good luck!

Scott Brookens

LUCKIEST Guide
            Need to start accepting credit and debit cards, Welcome

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and you can contact them online.

Also Barry from amspcs is a good man to talk to.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
              intechspecial Ranger
              If I may simplify this for you for starters:

Make it easy on yourself!

Good luck!
                skydalimit Wayfarer
                You said you have been in business for year right so if you are incorporated and have an EIN # you can obtain a merchant service from your bank that you have a business account with, and if you are not incorporated i can help you incorporate/build business credit to be able to finance your business without personal credit, and build your website all for just one price of $1000 or if you want webiste with merchant services that accept credit cards, etc.. its only $400 one time fee. if you have any questions please email me at:

Ricardo "Sky Dalimit" Pierre
                  OnlineGuru Newbie
                  I do consulting on e-commerce and merchant services solutions. My best experience so far has been with Infinity Business Group, based in South Carolina. Low processing rates, and they have a virtual terminal solution you can use if you don not have a Web site yet. If you need help with potential solutions, please let me know in your post or e-mail me at
                    dac2828 Wayfarer
                    SMErepair, use Bank of America merchant services and Don't let anyone sell or lease you some expensive terminal. As long as you have a good credit score and are not asking to charge too much per month BofA will do it. I don't use them anymore but when I did they were fine. The fees to me were like pennies however it might matter to you, but there are some very shady merchant companies out there, BEWARE. If the company goes under you can have problems, or they can hold all your transactions and not give you the money. I'd recommend BofA merchant services. These small company merchant processors are just not worth it, who cares if you save a few bucks a month, go reliable with low risk.
                        amspcs Ranger
                        Dear Dac,

Thank you for your post. Loyalty is a commendable trait, and you are obviously very satsified withf B of A merchant services, much to their credit. However, I think you are off target on some of your statements, including some misinformation you are passing off as fact.

First of all, B of A Merchant Services is indeed a quality processing organization. We, in fact, have recommended them and sold their services many times over the years when we deemed their packages appropriate for the specific needs of specific merchants. However, as with all acquirer banks, they have their own niches and are NOT appropriate for all merchant. There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all processing solution, and to give this blanket endorsement of BAMS (or any other provider for that matter) to a merchant without knowing everything you need to know about that merchant is very poor (and often costly to the merchant) advise.

You also need to correctly identify the 'players' in the merchant services business, as it seems you are confusing the actual processing institutions (Acquirers) with their sales arms (ISO's). There are untold thousands of Independent Sales Offices (ISO's) out there, all selling basically the same products offered by the relatively few Acquirers in the market (albeit often packaged very differently). Acquireres such as Chase, Wells Fargo, HSBC, First Data, Paymentech, Cynergy and the like can hardly be considered unreliable "small company merchant processors", and even if the ISO sales arm goes under, the merchant relationship with the Acquirer is unaffected.

I am in agreement with your suggestion not to be sold or leased unnecessary expensive equipment.
                        And, as with any other business relationship, one needs to do a little homework and make sure one is
                        dealing with a reputable sales agent who understands the business to the point where they are able to
                        recommend a specific solutiion to your specific needs.

austinstrick Wayfarer
                        It's kinda informative for me. I had the same question. Thanks
                          saw7277 Newbie

I know just what you are looking for. There is a software that is called CreditLine, it is a gatway software that works with many processors. There is a one time licensing fee, they do not charge any gateway fees of any kind no monthly fees. If you have access to the internet than you can process a credit card payment. I can also help with setting up a merchant account. If you would like to see a demo of the software I would be more than happy to show you anytime. My name is Sheila Wilson and you can reach me at 813-600-3225. There is no obligation of any kind I would be happy to answer any question that you may have.

Sheila Wilson
                            EHYoung Wayfarer
                            American express also offers an online portal that will allow you to accept amex, visa, mastercard and discover. There is a monthly charge, but i think ti's about $7.95 or something. worth looking into. they have great merchant services.
                              Ryback Newbie
                              Take a look at Leaders Merchant Services Company.

If you have an iphone you can use it as your terminal. They have a package that is no monthly fee. They just charge you on a per transaction basis.