Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 19, 2009 6:59 PM by consultingbob

    on F1 , need to start a business

    Varish Newbie

      This is Varish here. I am on F1 visa and just finished my MBA from USA. I really want to establish my IT consulting business here. I wanna know that is it possible to open a business on F1 and if yes then plz guide me on it .
        • Re: on F1 , need to start a business
          consultingbob Wayfarer
          Hi Varish, welcome to the Forum.

          Isn't an F1 visa a Student visa, which allows you to come to the US to go to school?

          If that's the case (which is what it says on Wikipedia) then no, when your schooling is over you would have to either get a new visa of the correct type to stay here as a legal worker, or return to your home country.

          You probably need to talk to someone in your area that specializes in immigration and citizenship, so you can get proper legal advice on this.

          Bob Parker
          Complete Internet Consulting


          Except for on-campus employment of 20 hours a week or less, F-1
          students are generally not permitted to work in the US without prior
          authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). However, the USCIS may grant work authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training
          (OPT). Students are permitted to work for a total of 40 months towards
          practical training (eg. internship), which can be distributed between Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training
          (OPT). An interim order was passed on April 8, 2008 allowing students
          in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to legally
          work under OPT for 29 months.1 During the period of OPT, a F-1 student is not permitted to accrue more than 90 days of unemployment.