Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2009 2:16 PM by piranimg

gdnoe01 Newbie
      I have been in the Painting Business here in were I live for 30 years. I have always been busy full time and now with the recession I'm finding people are reluctant to hire Painting Contractors and are doing the painting on their own. How can I bring in new customers to my business? I have been sending out letters to all my past customers but am getting no response. I'm also finding that alot of new comers to the Painting Business in our area are popping up. I'm sure I'm getting under bidded left and right. Any response to this post with suggestions will be helpful.
        • Re: Advertising
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Advertising, Welcome Gary

As you said you have been in the painting business for 30 years. That is great. And YES we all will have to make changes with the recession.

In my opinion, sending out letters is a waste of postage, unless you are giving away something FREE.
          Phone calls work better. A Marketing Plan could also help.

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and can help you.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
          • Re: Advertising
            piranimg Newbie
            Hello gdnoe01:

You have something that the news guys can never have, Experience! Though your competition maybe underbidding you, keep in mind, sooner or later they will end up out of business, simply for the fact that they do not understand the true cost of operating a painting business like you do. Those guys are "Fly By Night" painters and don't let yourself for even ONE second believe that they are going to serve your customers better than you!

Having said that; since you do have so much experience under your belt, and most probably a large amount of clients you've done work for in the past - consider calling or physically going to your previous clients and asking them:
            • If they were satisfied with your work?
            • If there were any touch ups you could do for them, obviously at NO COST (this shows them that you care enough to ask!)
            • If they know of anyone that may be looking for services you provide
            • If they would be willing to write a testimonial for you
            Now that you've gotten your old clients trust back (by offering to give free touch ups) make this a part of your business plan. Maybe offer Free Touch Up/warranty for the first year or two. Also, give your clients an incentive to promote your services. On the back of your business card, for example, offer a refferal reward to customer for sending business your way (i.e. "Refer a friend and receive a $50 Gift Card to Home Depot and your Friend Gets a 25% discount too!).

These are just some thoughts right off the top of my head, however, If I can be of additional assistance, please feel free to shoot me an email at:

Good Luck!