Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2007 6:26 PM by DomainDiva

Information on How to start an Engineering Services Consultancy

doc1400 Newbie
      I am considering an engineering services Consultancy Business start-up and would appreciate any advice from Forum Readers.

Thank you.
      Doc1400
        • Re: Information on How to start an Engineering Services Consultancy
          WEBillions Adventurer
          You definitely need a website. Check out mickysbusiness.blogspot.com for some advice about how to get started. This will have some details about how to pick your name, advice about picking partners, and lot of other good info that I think you will find very useful.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

I found your website and visited it to try to learn more about your company. While there, I had about 20 pop-up ads pushed on me. That may be okay for some "fun" sites, but do you really expect a plant manager who is serious about Lean Manufacturing to endure ads for things like ringtones, Netflix, Monster, DogBlog, Hub-o-Love, and the ever-thrilling +Alisa and the Stuff Alisa Does+? I guess my first suggestion would be to make the website reflect a more professional image.

One of my firms shares your target market. Whatever methodologies we offer, our marketing efforts happen in three stages: First, we have to convince the client that they have a problem. Second, we have to convince them that they can (and should) do something about it. Third, we have to convince them that we can help. Each stage involves a separate set of strategies, and the first revenue we make from a client may be two or three years after we conclude that we can help them and decide to go after their business. So I guess my next suggestion would be to plan for that. Our early business plans overestimated how fast business would come in. We already had favorable press in trade journals, and I was being asked to speak at industrial conferences around the world. We thought all that attention would literally stampede business our way. The attention WAS beneficial, because it gave us credibility when were finally face-to-face with decision-makers -- but it didn't bring potential clients in the door one bit faster.

I noticed that a few of the professional organizations you listed are primarily UK-based. Are you from the UK, and/or it that a primary market for you?

Hope this helps. Best wishes!
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              JavaJoe Wayfarer
              I'm not an engineer but have lots of friends that are. The biggest thing issue that they had when starting out was - billing by the hour vs. charging a flat rate. If you are in the engineering business and have a great reputation, there is no reason why you wouldn't succeed by branching out to consulting. Also, many people assume that winning the contract with a private company is better vs. public. However, I wouldn't overlook the value of possibly reaching out to your local or regional government and submitting a bid if they have any work that requires engineering consulting. If you can get them as a client, their likelihood of renewal maybe higher vs. a private company, as they often don't have the bandwidth to re-evaluate firms, etc. Getting in maybe the tough part. Good luck. Remember one customer leads to another customer, and soon you'll have a lot of clients if your services rendered are of high quality and value.
                LUCKIEST Guide
                You can get GREAT info on starting an Engineering Service by visiting SCORE on line or in person.
                SCORE helps people who are starting up a business.
                How soon will you be starting?? Tell us more. The more you share, the better we can help you succeed.
                Good luck, LUCKIEST
                  DomainDiva Ranger
                  What kind of marketing plan(s) have you developed?

When I started marketing my skills in the heavy aircraft records area I got lists of DAR's, Aircraft Leasing Companies as well as personal contacts from friends. I then sent out an information packet. It took about 90 days to get my first job, but business has been good ever since.