Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2009 8:23 AM by lizabels

rewards credit cards

gdday4 Newbie
      anyone have experience with rewards credit cards? I would like one for my business but can't seem to figure out the miles programs. I really just want a card for miles for vacations but most have a maximum dollar value on the tickets--is that a problem or should you just get a card tied to a specific airline????
        • Re: rewards credit cards
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Everybody has rewards credit cards. the fun is when you try to redeem your miles.
          Best case go with the airline you use the most. Sometimes they will give you an
          extra 20,000 miles for signing up for a credit card and extra miles for another card
          in the name of your business.
          Choose wisely. LUCKIEST
              gdday4 Newbie
              any suggestions? I am looking for someone who has good exeriences with a card
                  Mozart Wayfarer
                  Luckiest made a good point, select the rewards program based on the airline and/or destination you travel to most. Rather than selecting the credit card company first - select the airline first and then see what company or bank they partner with. I can speak from two experiences. I have a British Airways card and can use it to fly via BA; Cathay Pacific; Quantas; and other One Global alliance partners. The only con is that I've noticed that BA has many blackout dates and they charge over $100 to redeem your awards travel (one way or round trip)! I also collect miles via US Airways and pleasantly I was able to book my preferred travel at the last minute and it only cost me about $30 to redeem my miles. However, they don't have as many "world" partners that meet my destination needs, so I mostly like to collect miles with my BA card.

Every year, I have enough miles to take a trip anywhere in the world. So, yes - very smart to get miles or cash back on your credit card!
                    DomainDiva Ranger
                    I have the American Airlines AAdvantage Master Card for my business and the Visa for my household expenses. Everything I do gets put either on a business card or the personal (house) card. All balances paid off each month.

These cards are issued by Citibank. I have found that Citi is good to deal with and will step up if you have a problem with a vendor. The miles I use for business travel in my start up. So for me...thats the card to use. I would stay away from any card that is not associated with an airline. Delta has the Skymiles American Express.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

My preference: American Express card with their Membership Rewards program.

The Card/Company: For me, it's the best service, "live" people ready to talk when there's a problem, excellent dispute resolution, great management tools, and no hidden charges or fees. Downside is that there is an annual fee and you pay in full each month.

The Program: The points accumulate quickly, there are many "extra points" offers tied to places that I use the card frequently, the points never expire, and they can be redeemed for almost anything. Plus, a couple of times a year, they have a promotion where you have a chance to buy big ticket items with points for just pennies on the dollar - like a Porsche for 3,000 - it's fun!

I also use the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa and the amazon.com Rewards Visa -- just because we fly Southwest a lot and buy a lot of books, and using those cards for those purchases gives "extra points" and translates to flights or merchandise we'd buy anyway. The bank for both is Chase. No annual fee, but the service is marginal when there's a problem, and they do some "sneaky" billing (i.e., pay on-line the day the bill is due and it won't be posted until midnight -- 1/100th of a second after they add a $79 late fee and finance fees based on the pre-payment balance). You can call and eventually get to someone who can take charges like that off, but it takes time and you shouldn't have to bother.

Good idea for a discussion - thanks for posting it.
                    gdday4 Newbie
                    Thanks for the imput. I had pretty much narrowed it down to either the Citi Bank cards or Amex but couldn't decide which, mostly because the amex can't be used everywhere, and also, whether to get one tied to a airline or not. It seems from the posts here that the majority prefer the airline cards--good to know from people who know. thanks again
                      gdday4 Newbie
                      Thanks alot. I had pretty much narrowed it down to either Citi or Amex but couldn't decide. Also needed to know whether to get a card tied to a airline or not. It seems that the majority here prefer a airline card over a points card--good to know from people who do know. I was really looking at the capitalone miles card but just didn't get a good feeling. thanks for the info
                          DomainDiva Ranger
                          I actually just signed up with AMEX as well. The Platinum Business Card has a feature that awards you one companion ticket for each first class or business class ticeket purchased. Whats nice is that AMEX also has travel planning as well and can be available to help you out at the last minute if there are problems.
                          Rey63nolds Newbie
                          Rewards credit cards are great if used correctly. Get one that covers everything and you will rack up the rewards that you are looking for faster. Check out your bank's website on reward cards and find one that will cover what you are looking for. If you need a bit more direction, let me know.
                            jdizon Newbie
                            Rewards credit cards are great if used correctly. Get one that covers everything and you will rack up the rewards that you are looking for faster. Check out your bank's website on reward cards and find one that will cover what you are looking for.

MerchantAccountsLLC[.]com
                                lizabels Wayfarer
                                Please realize that the merchant taking your rewards card pays a higher interchange fee for that card so in essence they supply your rewards. But then we adjust our prices to compensate. In the end you pay for your own rewards and the bank is the only winner. How sad is that!