Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 6:26 AM by vistasad

Due diligence fees?

Doubleday Wayfarer
      I have been contacted by a potential investor who is requesting a "due diligence fee" $2500.00. Is this common practice when investing in a start-up business. Also is it common practice to not provide referrals to potential customers, or is that considered confidential information? Any thoughts here?
        • Re: Due diligence fees?
          jim531 Newbie
          Due diligence fees are common. References is another story, most of the time Non Disclosure agreements prohibit discussing the business transacction and the parties involved for a specific period of time.
            Iwrite Pioneer
            Be careful!! Please do search on this forum for "Freeman" I believe it is. Some members have lost money paying a fee like this and your example sounds just like theirs.

I suggest you contact SCORE and your local bank before you pay this, both will provide you with some valuable information. Do some homework and protect yourself. There are too many scammers out here praying on those who need help the most.

They should be able to provide references. They don't have to give the details of the deal but they should be able to tell you who they worked with.
              phanio Pioneer
              I have said many, many times - never pay anything up front without a guarantee of a return of your money if you don't get funded. True investors understand that part of the process is their diligence expenses and should incorporate that into their expected returns.

Business Money Today
                vistasad Adventurer
                Due diligence is carried out after preliminary investigations are over and the investor is serious about
                putting in money. It is a way for the investor to check if what you say is actually so and discover the true state of affairs.
                From the amount demanded $2500 it is obvious that your's is not a large business and your investor is
                a mickey mouse operator.

The best way out of the situation is
                1. Don't pay her/him immediately check if they are more interested in doing the due diligence or the $2500.
                2. Invite other investors into the arena aggresively.

If yours is a business which can be scaled up substantialy even venture capital funds may want to put in money.

http://www.vistasad.com