Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 8:49 PM by Analysight

direct advertising

tqllawns Newbie
      hi does anyone know how to go about advertising direct to homeowner asociations for lawn services i live in phx
        • Re: direct advertising
          vistasad Adventurer
          You are trying to break the hold of existing suppliers of lawn services.
          Make sure you list out how you are different or better than your competitors.

I am pretty sure that homeowner associations would be networked so one would be able to give you details of many others.

Bridge Navigator
            Are you looking to maintain "common areas" for the entire neighborhood or get the indivudual home owner accounts?
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tqllawns Newbie
              i provide lawn service to homeownersasociations by maintaining ther comon areas landscaping i have always got word of mouth acounts but in my area there is alot of compatition and cutthraot biding is there a certain way to send direct advertising to my target customer base like the president or board of hoa mngt companies?
                  puzzleman Tracker
                  One thing that I think you should emphasize is your added value. If everyone is fighting over price, get out of that battle. It's a death spiral that will have you working for less and less.

I emphasize value and quality over price. I proudly tell my customers that they will pay me more for my main product than anyone else will charge. Then I back it up with quality, service and speed of delivery. Price yourself higher than others and back it up with your service, attention to details, response time to problems, timeliness and anything that adds perceived value. Hammer that home to the associations when you talk to them. Emphasize that they can go with cheap but you don't get all the extras that you provide. Stick to your guns. I had a company with over 100 stores want to carry my products, however they wanted a discount. I told them no and explained why I was worth the extra money. Backed it up wtih testimonials from other customers. They eventually became my customer after the lower priced company screwed up regularly. And now I use them as one of my references as they love what I do for them.

If they continue to only pick by price, you will never keep the account as there is ALWAYS someone willing to do it for a little less

abc4centralTX Newbie
                  Most homeowmer assoc. have a newsletter for everyone in the neighborhood. If you have any customers there in that area talk to them and see who you need to know to get a listing in the newsletter......who ever writes the thing, it might be worth a generous disount for a basic service. Once you get that info, it should help you get more business.....check us out at
                    timandren Newbie
                    Great advice here. The only thing I can add is to recommend to work with municipal directories.
                    • Direct advertising
                      vistasad Adventurer
                      One thing to consider is fliers, they go out to a whole lot of people who already have mowing services, but also go out to some people who are dissatisfied or are new to the area and want services.
                      If you do send out fliers try and get sponsorhip from a lawn mover distributor, floriculture service or even plumbing service providers.
                        Analysight Newbie

Many homeowner associations are registered as non-profit organizations and should have filings with the Secretary of State's office. I should know - I'm the treasurer of my homeowner association. Do a search on the AZ Secretary of State for such associations in the Phoenix area. Keep in mind, that some associations have a management company oversee their day to day operations, including vendors. So do some research on management companies as well.

Find out who the decision makers are and target them directly. You received some good advice from everyone who has replied to your post. Two points are worth reiterating - point out what distinguishes you from the others and why these associations will benefit by switching to you. Remember, you're trying to convince these associations to end a relationship and break out of a comfort zone. Secondly, don't compete on price, but instead on value. Competing on price cheapens your company's image.