Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 4:23 PM by ApparelGiant

What kind of the restaurant Ad bring you to that restaurant?

smilehero Newbie
      What kind of advertising is best for restaurant business?

I've been tried to place my ad in local papers, discount coupon book, yellow pages, and online, but the result is still very low ROI. I'm thinking about a regional magazine or talk radio.

Any suggestions please feel free to share.
        • Re: What kind of the restaurant Ad bring you to that restaurant?
          score81 Adventurer
          The success of Restaurant business ad depend upon its location and type of food it serve. Most successful approach so far in restaurant has been Flyer with coupon delivered in surrounding neighborhood on Monday, Thursday, Friday & Sunday night. But if it is in business area then coupon in front of the car Tuesday & thursday.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

Honestly, I never look at any of that stuff (ads, websites, yellow pages, etc.) except when I'm working in a city that I've never been to before. You have a nice website, and if/when I have a client to visit in Rhode Island, I'll stop by for lunch. I gather, however, that your focus is not out-of-town visitors.

At home, if I walk or drive by a new restaurant that looks clean and inviting, I'll try it. So anything that would catch my attention and create a positive impression when I passed by would pay off. (Of course, for every person like me, there is probably someone who eats at the same chain restaurant at the same time on the same day every week of his life.)

For places that are off my normal beaten path, it's generally word of mouth that gets me in the door - someone I know saying, "You just have to try this place!" You could think in terms of what might "trigger" people to talk and spread the word. For example, some associates of mine were in a car talking about the meeting we'd just attended when a city bus passed by with an ad on the side for a Chinese buffet. Someone asked if we had eaten there, and we were suddenly in a discussion about the best Chinese food in town. Maybe other contributors to this forum can suggest some good ways for you to get people talking.

Best wishes!
              LUCKIEST Guide
              With a restaurant it is LOCATION, SERVICE and GOOD FOOD.
              Advertising helps but it is expensive. Be smart and use the money wisely.
              Sponsor something local, like a walk or a sports team.
              Many of the people who participate in the walk or play on the sports team will then try your restaurant.
              Another thought, invite a local reporter to your restaurant with the hope that he or she
              will write a story about you, the restaurant or what you are sponsoring.
              By creative, a tie in with Halloween maybe.
              Good luck, LUCKIEST
                RADRedF150 Newbie
                I just developed a new coupon that I distribute to people I meet instead of a business card. I have received a great positive response. I am also including this in my print ads. It is a replica of a $2 bill with my restaurant info in the middle and I call it "Dilba Dollars" after the name of the restaurant. I also distribute a $1 replica to current customers for there return visit... Works great...

Visit http://www.dilbasmargatecafe.com or http://www.margatecafe.com I have posted the coupon on the openning page.
                  wealthpro Wayfarer

I had a friend that owned a restaurant. Coupons seemed to bring in new customers.

The trick is retaining the customers and getting referrals. I appreciate great customer service and always tell people about good restaurant experiences. If your customers have a good experience they might tell others; if they have a bad experience, they will probably tell a lot of other people.

If you can personally approach tables to ask how people are doing, they will appreciate that, especially if you occasionally do something to make them feel special, like buy them desert.

If you could create a mailing list of your customers, you could send out holiday cards throughout the year. The idea would be to show that you appreciate their business, not to try to sell them anything.

Hope this helped.

David

RStudios Newbie
                    For me personally I know a great coupon will always bring me into a restaurant. I’ve noticed that some restaurants will offer coupons like x% off a bill of $60 or more - I never spend that much in restaurants. I would do a buy one entree get an app free, 20% off total bill of any amount, etc.

I would also ask a few friends to write reviews for you on local review websites (yelp.com or your local weekly will often have online reviews).
                      coffee times Newbie
                      all these are good ideas i especially like the dollar bill idea and will try that thanks. what people need to promote is eat local since our own economy depends on locally owned shops not these commercial chains these are ruining our economy worse because they dont support local monies staying right in town the big people make the money and take it elsewhere and only leave what little tip money waitstaff gets and now adays that aint much. i only eat at local eateries mostly little mom and pop places the food is always good they stay busy and usually reconize you when you come in and theres not a two hour wait for precooked food items from who knows where. ive tried newspapaers, radio etc it does not work its expensive and only works for the time you run them unless your mcds
                        designer Tracker
                        When I am browsing for a place to dine, a photo of a romantic, quiet booth usually pulls me in. I like a fine place that is clean and organized. A lot of screaming kids and folks running around will definitely have me running the other way.
                          DomainDiva Ranger

If I have a coupon I will pay a first visit, if its yummy I will be back. My second criteria is how many cars are in the parking lot if I see a new place and want something different.
                              designer Tracker
                              DomainDiva....you are so right about "cars in the parking lot"! We tend to go by that rule, especially on vacation & out of town. You may know your own city neighborhood or suburb pretty well...but when you venture out, it can be a little scary. It may be wrong to judge a book by its cover...(sorry restaurant owners)...but if you constantly even walk by a place after work every day and it is vacant over and over again....something must be wrong. I always still sometimes the benefit of the doubt, even so and tried a take-out from this one place and the soup ended up being greasy and food not good. At least I found out what everyone already knew. Ha!
                              ApparelGiant Newbie
                              The circular ad are a good deal, but "word of mouth" is more more efficient and effective. I think you should concentrate on the customers you have now. A combination of good food, good/personal service, and location will bring in more customers than any ad placed in any paper. Somebody always wants to be the person that recommended a good restaurant, goes to credibility. There are restaurants that I patronize that I will more than likely always patronize, that is what a good experience gets you...loyalty.
                                ApparelGiant Newbie
                                The circular ad are a good deal, but "word of mouth" is more more efficient and effective. I think you should concentrate on the customers you have now. A combination of good food, good/personal service, and location will bring in more customers than any ad placed in any paper. Somebody always wants to be the person that recommended a good restaurant, goes to credibility. There are restaurants that I patronize that I will more than likely always patronize, that is what a good experience gets you...loyalty.