Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2009 10:29 AM by phanio

how can i remove my nervousness

supriya.gupta Newbie

*whenever i am giving the interview i feel very nervose & my body start shivering *
        • Re: how can i remove my nervousness
          Ameripla_IBO Newbie
          A stiff drink usually works for me ( LOL).

If even the thought of interviewing makes you nervous, it’s
          important to get that emotion under control. The interview is your
          opportunity to be at your best. If you allow nervousness to control
          your presentation (or lack thereof), your image may be forever shrouded
          in the cloud of nervousness that will block the interviewer’s total
          view of who you are.

Why do we get nervous? Because of the unknown. We are seeking
          approval, but we are unsure of ourselves and how we will be perceived.
          We are afraid we won’t get approval, which makes us nervous. And to
          compound the problem, our increasing nervousness makes it even more
          difficult to gain that approval, thereby compounding the basis for our
          fears. Uncontrolled, nervousness can destroy our ability to effectively
          interview.

But it doesn't’t have to be that way. The following is a simple
          technique you can apply to overcome your nervousness in any
          interviewing situation. It is a technique that I personally use in
          overcoming my own nervousness, and it will work equally well for you. Goog Luck Friend
              Ameripla_IBO Newbie

The Rowboat Technique

In my public speaking, I am often confronted by crowds of hundreds
              and sometimes even thousands. Do I get nervous? You bet. Every time. Is
              anyone aware of my nervousness? Not unless they see me in the few
              minutes before I go on stage, before I have successfully applied the
              Rowboat Technique. This simple technique allows me to overcome my fears
              and successfully speak before thousands of people I have never met
              before. And it will help you in meeting with and speaking to people you
              have never met before in the interviewing situation.

The Rowboat Technique is a simple contraction of the abdomen in
              combination with rhythmic breathing that allows you to fully overcome
              your nervousness in any situation. To understand how to use this
              technique, sit forward in a chair, arms outstretched, as if you are
              grabbing oars in a rowboat. Take a deep breath, then slowly pull back
              your arms and contract the abdominal muscle just below the rib cage. As
              you continue to let out air, roll the contraction of the muscle
              downward, just above your pelvic region, centering on your navel. Keep
              your muscles tight until all of the air has been expelled. Count to
              three (don’t breathe in yet!), then inhale deeply. Repeat this simple
              process two or three times and you will find that your body is
              completely relaxed.

To better understand the Rowboat Technique, stop by the gym and sit
              down at one of the rowing machines. You will gain a firsthand feel for
              the relaxation brought on by the series of muscle contractions and deep
              breathing that comes naturally during this type of workout.

So how does this apply with interviewing? Obviously, you don’t want
              to go through all the visual animations in front of the interviewer,
              but you can still effectively apply this technique. Simply take in a
              deep breath through your nose, then contract your abdominal muscles in
              the “top to bottom roll” discussed above as you slowly exhale through
              slightly parted lips. Hold it at the bottom, take in a deep breath, and
              you are ready to go. If you are still nervous, simply repeat the
              technique one or two more times. Even if you are not nervous at the
              time, it is always a good idea to use this technique as you wait to
              meet with your interviewer. During the interview, you can use it while
              the interviewer is speaking to keep potential nervousness in check.

What if you are overcome by nervousness while answering a question?
              Simply pause, take a deep breath, exhale and contract, then continue.
              Your nervousness will be noticeable to the interviewer (due to the
              pause in your answer), but the five-second drill will also show that
              you are seeking to control your nervousness. If you are able to
              successfully overcome, I will never hold that pause against you. I will
              admire your self-control and the positive, proactive action you took to
              put the interview back on a successful track.

This technique is virtually unnoticeable to anyone nearby. I make it
              a habit to apply this technique several times before going on stage,
              whether I am feeling nervous or not. You could be seated next to me and
              be completely unaware of what I am doing. Yet I will effectively put
              away all my nervousness and prepare myself for a dynamic presentation.
              You can do the same in preparation for your interview.

Why does it work? Very simply, the muscle contractions prevent the
              introduction of chemical imbalances into your system that can cause
              nervousness. The deep breathing helps to dissipate any chemicals that
              have already been released. It forces the body to prepare physically
              for the upcoming task. The body begins to focus on producing the
              positive endorphins needed for the anticipated “rowing” ahead. And this
              exercise will give your mind the opportunity to focus positively on the
              actual task of interviewing.

You can use this technique in a variety of circumstances in which
              you need to focus your mind and body: overcoming anxiety, anger,
              fright, tension, nausea—even a simple case of stomach butterflies. You
              can overcome interviewing nervousness, and much more, just by using
              this simple technique.

A certain level of nervousness is to be expected during
              any interview. But how you react to it will determine the overall
              impact.
              Bluesuit Adventurer

It's natural to be nervous in situations like an interview, speaking engagements, etc. Some people are able to decrease their nervousness by practicing. Try have a friend or collegue practice interviewing you a few times to build up your confidence.
                phanio Pioneer
                Don't even try to reduce or remove your nerves - embrase them and use them to your advantage. Make it your friend and become better for it.

Business Money Today