Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2007 11:55 PM by faithsem

Best businesses for women

BDS INC Adventurer
      Community,

My sister is looking for a new business opportunity and I recommended she look into something in the beauty, childcare, or women's fitness fields since these are industries where women tend to dominate and have a great opportunity for success. Looking at a franchise like Curves or Avon proves my point. My question is although I know a woman can be successful in any business she chooses, would it be smart for a woman who doesn't yet have a particular business she loves, to go into a business where women tend to dominate, given the likelyhood of success?
        • Re: Best businesses for women
          DomainDiva Ranger
          Women that have a passion for beauty and health do well in that area...

Women who have a passion for children do well in that area...

Women who have a passion for fitness/nutrition do well in that area.....

Your sister needs to define her passion and go that way...anything else is a waste of time and money. Just because women dominate in a certain area does not mean that your sister should do something.

Avon is multi level marketing....fitness centers are very expensive...does your area really need another one? Childcare facilities can be overwhelming if you are inexperienced.....

You say she is looking for another opportunity....what is she doing now?
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              BDS INC Adventurer
              Thanks DomainDiva - she currently is working for a Fortune 500 company, but she has a passion simply for being independent. I think no matter what field she goes in she'll be successful, I guess I was looking for business opportunties where she'd have a great opportunity to succeed.
                  DomainDiva Ranger
                  Piece of cake. She should take what she does at the F 500 company and make a consulting business out of it.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      BDS INC Adventurer
                      She works processing mortgages for a large bank - with the mortgage industry in a bit of trouble she is thinking about finally striking out on her own and has been seriously considering leaving her job to start a business. Again I was thinking fitness, because 1 she works out often and two I don't believe there is a gym catering just to women in her immediate area
                          DomainDiva Ranger
                          There are two fitness franchises that cater to women, one is Curves, the other is Butterfly. However working out often doe not mean a person is cut out to own a fitness center....

(Is your sister going to do what you tell her to do? I am asking this because when I went into business my family members were set on getting me into that THEY wanted me to do, not what I wanted to or could do. It caused a lot of trouble and actually became the catalyst for a familial breach that has never healed.)

I know you are trying to help her....but the decision is ultimately hers.....
                    WEBillions Adventurer
                    Surely, she has some hobbies outside of just being independent. She should do what she loves, whether that's consulting for Fortune 500 companies or gardening. There are a lot of opportunities out there, particularly on the internet. She shouldn't feel limited on only companies where women typically do well. I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but as a woman, I would feel rather insulted if someone told me I should stick to what women have done well at in the past. I can do whatever the hell I put my mind to. And I believe most people can if they are willing to put some work in. So, it's all really about finding what you are willing to work for. What you won't give up on. What makes you feel good about yourself. By the way, I am a physics graduate student. This is not a very common thing for women to do. I think the national average is 12%. I'm doing quite well, despite the fact that I am a woman.
                      score81 Adventurer

Some clients of mine has no clue what they want to do? So we do some brain storming on some current popular businesses. We then select three out of them. They go nd do research and end up selecting one. Most of them love it and do it well.
                        SuccessSister Newbie
                        I agree with DomainDiva. If you're not passionate about a particular business, don't bother starting one. Women can succeed at any business. It's a matter of passion, skills,and building the right teams of advisors, consultants, and employees. Since your sister processes mortgages, she probably knows a lot about real estate. How about investing in real estate, now that the market is soft? There are lots of books and seminars on the topic. She could take a look and see if she's interested.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          A women going into business should visit SCORE. SCORE has a Virtual Learning Center
                          on line at "www.score.org. It is FREE. There are 26 online courses, including STARTING YOUR
                          BUSINESS, MANAGING YOUR FINANCES, WRITING A BUSINESS PLAN AND MARKETING.
                          Working with SCORE can help any woman be successful in business.
                          Good luck, LUCKIEST
                            BullsEye Newbie
                            Hi BDS,

You've recieved some very good advice here. Never make the mistake of assuming that a woman belongs in a "woman's business." I've known women who were succeeding in the moving business, big truck sales, junk yard and used car parts supply, jumbo jet piloting, and trekking guide - all businesses with a "manly" image.

So don't automatically rule out anything just because it seems too testosterone-heavy for a woman to handle. I don't care what kind of business it is; women can do it (and probably already are).

Just follow the advice already given to help your sister find her real interests and passions, then let her natural drive take over from there.

Cheers from sunny Japan,
                            Charles

BDS INC Adventurer
                                Thanks all for the posts - I should have written it more carefully. I by no means think a woman has to be in an industry specifically for women. In fact the user who in my opinion has given the best advice on the community happens to be DomainDiva. There are women business owner I know who own insurance companys, Internet companys, a high school classmate of mines owns a string of Jiffy Lube franchises in Virginia, so I am well aware women are fully capable of doing anything a man can do, in fact our next president my be a woman.

My post was merely to look at the types of businesses that have the highest rates of sucess for women business owners to give my sister a starting point. Way not look at the low hanging fruit to see if there is anything shes interested in? We talked about her going into my line of business (property management) but she just wants to do something totally different after working in banking and real estate for over 18 years.

Great posts, good community!
                                Master Newbie

In addition to having passion, vision and energy for her own business, your sister should also look into her available networks. When you are on your own, you do not have the same support and security as when you are working for a Fortune 500 company. Before she leaves, she should have a good idea where to get similar level of support to get things done - e.g. good accountant, secretary, technology support, etc...

And I totally agree with the opinions expressed here that she should not limit herself to beauty, fitness and/or childcare... Encourage her to think out of the box and explore 'impossible' ideas... Good luck!

Can you please let us know what happened and what was your sister's decision at the end? Thank you!
                                    faithsem Newbie
                                    Is there something she does in her liesure time that gets her cresative juices flowing??? Something that as she does it, she says to herself or to her friends/family...hmmm I'd like to try doing this and make some money from it??? I say those things because that is how I got started in my candle busiess...it started as a hobby...then ppl told me the smelled better than some 'name brands'...why don't I sell them??? So I took what finances I had, and the expertise and got online...found a few websites for more support and expert advise on how to stuff...its very time time consuming...money consuming...but its very satisfying to know its YOURS...to find websites like this...you are not alone!!!
                                    BDS INC Adventurer
                                    Someone asked me to follow up and tell the community what my sister's plans are. Well she and I have looked into a franchise called Vino100. It is a wine store with 100 varieties of wine all under $30. It is a franchise so she'll get the support she think she needs, and where she lives there is little to no competition for a store which caters specifically to wine. Now all we have to do is go to the franchisee seminar and hopefully find financing.

BDS