Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2011 4:30 PM by myDealCompass

health insurance

supplier Newbie

Have been small business owner for 2 1/2 years and am wanting to buy health insurance for myself . I am the only employee of my company .
      Need suggestions on the best route to go and examples of insurance companies who may cater to small business owners. Thanks
        • Re: health insurance
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Depends on your situation, to some degree. If you have no on-going health issues and only need coverage for yourself in the event of hospitalization, an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) that includes an HSA (Health Savings Account) is an excellent choice. (If you are not familiar with these terms, just do a web search -- you'll find plenty of straightforward explanations). You can find these plans on the web through major providers like Blue Cross, or you can contact a local independent agent for additional options.

In my experience, the premiums increase regularly and significantly (even with zero claims), so don't expect to settle on a plan and forget it. Make it point to shop for better and/or more affordable coverage every couple of years.

If you have health issues and need something like a regular prescription plan, rehabilitative therapy, or the like -- or if you need to cover family members as well as yourself -- there are probably better options that someone else can suggest.
            jamis0n Newbie
            what state? if california, i can quote you a few companies. (877) MERGENS x1
              WEBillions Adventurer
              A couple ideas for cheap health care.

Find an insurance company that has an A or A+ rating with the A.M. Best Co. rating service.

Get quotes from several companies with different deductible amounts.
                supplier Newbie
                will someone explain to me how to rate a response and how to mark a question answered ?
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger
                    If you're referring to this question, I THINK you had to click on that little box (indicating that it was a question) when you initially posted it. I don't think there's a way to change that and have access to the rating deal now (but someone please correct me if that's wrong).
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Every small business owner should have an accountant, a lawyer and an insurance agent.
                    Do you have an insurance agent for your car??, house??, business??. Good place to start.
                    Are you a member of a local association of small business owner?? Try networking.
                    Good luck, LUCKIEST
                      smallbiz63 Newbie
                      If you do not currently have insurance and need to visit the E.R, you may want to check out 2 hospitals operated by Tenet Health Systems in North Carolina. Central Carolina Hospital in Sanford and Frye Regional Medical Center in Hickory. They have a Financial Assistance Program that may cover the entire stay with maximum copay of $2000 for inpatient stay. It is mostly income based so if your income is less than twice the Federal Poverty Guidelines you would qualify. If not for this program then you should get uninsured compact rate discount, which is similar to what health insurance companies get. Thanks.
                        myDealCompass Scout

As mentioned above, we went to our State Farm representative who was able to get us a variety of quotes based on our needs.  Because all of our employees are on the younger end of the spectrum, we elected to provide High-Deductible plans and contribute to their Health Savings Accounts with the difference.  This provides them with coverage for catestrophic events and also allows them to sock away some additional tax-free savings for later in life.  This is defintitely an area that you could benefit from sitting down with someone who knows your particular situation and the available options in your state.  All the best!

-Douglas