Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 3:13 PM by 4Founders

The Struggles Of Working At Home!

sundown16 Newbie

I don't regret my decision to work at home, but it is definately WORK!
      Nothing comes easy, no such thing as instant riches like all the so-called gurus
      tell you. I think one of the biggest distractions is the contant bombardment of
      opportunities thrown your way, and that is extremely difficult to stick to one
      game-plan. Most people fail because they start going in all directions at once
      and never master one promotional skill at a time. They panic when the money doesn't
      roll in right away and start trying multipal programs which usually spells disaster.
      One thing I've learned is keep to your business plan, and learn every area of your
      marketing well before trying something new.

Never stop learning and NEVER GIVE UP!
        • Re: The Struggles Of Working At Home!
          LUCKIEST Guide
          The Struggles Of Working At Home, Welcome

I agree with you completely. It would be nice to know your first name.

That is why it is called "WORK" It is great that you do have a business plan. The plan serves as an assessment tool to you. As you grow, your bus plan will help keep you on track.

Go to Members page and share some info. LUCKIEST
            Webnet Wayfarer
            I've been there! Stay focused and keep a calendar. Progress comes slow, but with a game plan (your business plan) and calendar, it all comes to fruition. The struggle can only make you stronger.

Webnet
              bmt2008 Adventurer
              I also think you should have passion for what you are doing. If it is just (JUST) to make money and you don't believe in what you sell/create - it will seem like work. If you have a passion for what you do - it will not seem like work at all. I am not saying that money is not important - but find something you love doing and then find a way to make money doing it.

Business Money Today
              -www.businessmoneytoday.com-
                demejoe Wayfarer
                You are absolutely right about that. I would suggest sticking with one set of services, if those work well then add more. Some people dont understand that you must start with one or two services instead of being scattered all over the place. You have the right idea in mind and working from home is hard work and it takes discipline but you will make it. Those get rich gurus are lame anyway. I dont believe in get rich quick schemes. I think if you believe in your product, your passion for the product can sell itself and over time, you will make a nice amount of money. Rome wasnt built in a day.
                  momto5in06 Newbie
                  Yes, working at home is definitely WORK. I agree with the above poster, if you do not love what you do from home it will definitely feel more like work. I have home business and personally LOVE what I do and it at times doesn't een feel like work. There are also bigger challenges if you are a parent and work at home. Beleive me, I have 5 kids so that makes it much more of a challenge. But it can be done, and with some planning and motivation you can do it!

Jennifer
                  http://www.sweetbabybowtique.com
                    LisaMorgen Newbie
                    Working at home is certainly work. Any business takes a while to get off the ground, so keep moving forward. I know it's easy to get distracted, so set weekly, monthy and yearly goals. Then pat yourself on the back for acheiving them. One of the things I like to do is keep a log of even the littlest of acheivements. You often get a lot more accomplished than you think, and it's really nice to see actual progress. This should help keep you focussed and when you see that some of your goals are actually becoming a reality, it will be easier to STAY focused (and more fun).
                      Whakate Newbie
                      Yes. You gotta have a long term perspective and stick to it. Yet at the same time, managing short term comittments lets you get things done and adjust your long term plan. Don´t loose focus as you are on your own.

Whakate
                      http://www.whakate.com
                        Wayfarer
                        I have been watching these forums closely, it seems that everyone runs into problems with financing sooner or later. I put a paragraph togher, maybe useful....

A true business credit card is a line of credit that is taken in the name of the business, under the business' credit. Activity, whether good or bad, is reflected on your business' credit report through D&B and other financial institutions, and the liability for any debts incurred and bills owed is with the business.However, some companies out there offer "business" credit cards which they require a person guarantee for. These institutions will often ask for a personal guarantee, and will almost always ask for a social security number from the person applying for the card. If this is the case, the credit card is not a business credit card, but is simply a personal credit card which is used for the business. The business is not liable for bills and debts - you are.When applying for a credit card for your business, watch out for areas asking for your SSN (and not your TaxID or EIN) and be wary of any credit card that asks for a personal guarantee. By ensuring that your credit card is in the name of your business, you can help to build your business' credit, while avoiding creating problems with your own.

Many companies offer a list of credit cards that are issued under the business name only. Those lists typically run $300-$900, depending on the quality of the information inquiring. I would suggest starting your search online via google or yahoo. Search for "strong business credit" (just like that in quotes) to find services that sell the information.

Good luck,

Ilya Bodner

Small Business Owner

Initial Underwriting Group
                          4Founders Newbie
                          I'd also argue that while you're working alone, its extremely important to prioritize your work. Any entrepreneur will find himself faced with far more work than he has the time for. The 80/20 rule absolutely applies here, so its important to focus your efforts on the tasks that will achieve the highest impact.

I think having a partner can do wonders as well, if that's an option. Consider how many successful startups have been built by two founders. Google had Larry Paige and Sergey Brin. Microsoft had Bill Gates and Paul Allen. Apple had Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. There's simply so much work involved in getting a business off the ground that having a second set of hands can lead to an exponential increase in capability. Also, having someone else with a complementary skill set will free you to specialize in the portions of the business that you excel at. Finally, from a morale perspective, having someone else there to help weather the rough times is extremely beneficial.

I'm not suggesting that its impossible to run a small business solo - simply that its far easier and usually more effective with a partner.