Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 9:23 AM by LUCKIEST

Do you have mold issues in your workplace?

aggiedan Newbie
      If occupants have voiced concerns about "mold" in your workplace, what do you do? Is the complaint/concern valid or exagerrated? Who do you call to check it out and will they create more problems for you or actually help you address the real issues? If you are leasing, can you trust your landlord to get someone qualified (and State licensed) to check it out?

What drives mold issues? Moisture does!! If you have had moisture penetration issues in your workplace, then there is the "potential" for resulting mold! What if you had the moisture removed? The big question is if ALL the moisture was removed! Many times the obvious visible moisture is removed, but the hidden moisture is not. Where could this hidden moisture be? Behind baseboards and in wall cavities! If air circulation cannot get behind baseboards and through wall cavities, they remain wet for longer periods of time -- this "can" allow mold growth!! Many times the water extraction companies simply set up dehumidifiers and dry up what the consumer can visually see. What should be done is the removal of the baseboards that have had water penetration and the drilling of "air" holes behind the removed baseboards so that dehumidified air can get INTO the wall cavities. The water extraction companies have a manifold system in which they place plastic hoses in the holes drilled behind the baseboards and dehumidified air is FORCED into the wall cavities to effectively dry it out.

How does one know where the wet areas are and if those areas have been dried out? Two tools are used: a moisture meter (equipment cost a couple hundred dollars) requiring direct physical contact with a building material and a infrared camera (equipment cost $15,000+) that scans walls and ceilings with a temperature profile shown in color on a screen. Obviously the infrared camera allows quick scanning of many areas to detect hidden moisture that cannot be visually seen. A snapshot of wet areas (showing up in a blue color) can be documented and printed out for insurance claims or proof for a landlord that more drying is needed. Do you really want the water extraction company (very few of which have infrared cameras) measuring to see if they have done their job?

In 18 years of mold and moisture investigations, I have seen many times that inadequate removal of moisture from buildings has allowed mold to grow behind baseboards or cove base and in wall cavities (back side of sheetrock and base plates and studs). The mold growth may have initially occurred years ago (sometimes from previous tennants and/or owners) and a recent water occurance brings the mold issue to light.

I invite you to use my services as a mold and moisture consultant. I am a Texas Registered Professional Engineer, State of Texas licensed "Mold Assessment Consultant", Certified Indoor Environmentalist, Certified Thermographer, and Certified Safety Professional. I have successfully passed a Dolbert/Robinson challenge as a "mold expert witness" in a Travis County courtroom. Please see my website at www.texasmoldconsultants.com for further experience and credentials.

If you have a suspect mold issue, have it checked out by a qualified and State licensed Mold Assessment Consultant - it just makes good business sense to find out where you stand and what your options are. Please feel free to call me on my cell in Austin at 563-2253 to discuss your mold issues. Molds affect different individuals differently! Because you personally can't "feel" the effects of mold in your workplace doesn't mean that there is no mold issue present. Also, is the impact on the worker due to "cedar fever" or other allergies or outdoor molds or molds at their home? The mold issue can get really complicated fast. Your mold consultant should not incite further unrest in your workforce as a mold investigation progresses.