Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2009 12:04 PM by LUCKIEST

Starting a Business in Los Angeles

suntannerinla Newbie
      Help! I've read another woman's distressed post about trying to start a business and going around and around on the Web. I am having the same problem. I have done more reading on how to start a business with no direct information. Here is some information and then questions:

I live in Los Angeles County and want to start a Sole Proprietorship. I am starting a recruiting/staffing business. Working from home, self-owned, no employees.

1. Do I need paperwork to declare Sole Proprietorship?
      2. Do I need a business license to work in Los Angeles?
      3. I filled out the Fictitious Business Name form and ready to mail it in with my payment. It says that I need to post in the newspaper for 4 weeks in a row to see if anyone else stakes claim to the name. There is a list of local newspapers to choose from. I am assuming I choose the one closest to my area and then email the person provided?
      4. Regarding posting in the local paper. It says it must be done within 30 days. 30 days of what? Clearing the name? Doing business? Its not clear.
      5. When you download the FBN form there are two identical copies. One says Copy on it. I am assuming I fill out both and send them in and they mail one back? Do I need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope (some agenices require that but nothing was posted here).
      6. Do I need to do anything with the State of California?

I just want to make sure I am doing everything legally. If I am missing any other forms that I need to fill out, please advise. I have called the Small Business Administration in LA but no response as of yet.

Thank you in advance.
        • Re: Starting a Business in Los Angeles
          25trekker1 Adventurer
          Just a tiiip. If you use your surname anywhere in your business name, you do not have to file a Fictitious Name Statement.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            zanshin1ad Wayfarer
            Well my friend as you are finding out there are a lot of things to be considered when starting your own business. I would like to begin by asking you a question. You seem decisive about the fact thaty you want to establish a sole proprietorship. Why? And no there ususally is no paperwork to file for an S.P. mainly because it is not a business structure. The purpose of llc's, c-corps and s-corps is to give the business owners a level of protection both legally and at times from taxes. There is really no advantage to an S.P.

Question #2 yes you should acquire a business lisence from your local jurisdiction
            Question #3 yes
            Question #4 without reading the proclamation I can't be sure. You will want to do it ASAP anyway so the point is moot
            Question #5 If you keepa copy for your recordsno need for SASE
            Question #6 pay and file taxes

There are really many other things to consider when it comes to starting a business. If you had an opportunity to take an online course from a 30 year venture capitalist and successful entrepreneur who is currently worth 10's of millions of dollars, who owns over 40 corporations who would teach you exactly what you need to now to own and operate a successful business what would that do for your chances of success?

If anything I have said is of interest to you let me know

Alex D
            zanshin1ad@airwired.net
                suntannerinla Newbie
                Thank you for your response. Just starting out, sole proprietorship will be fine as I do not have a lot of assets (such as a home) that could be at risk. I don't want to put a lot of money into this business until I am confident it will work out. I will start a Corp later if it works well.

At this time, I am not interested in courses. Much appreciated though.
                LUCKIEST Guide
                Starting a Business in Los Angeles, Welcome

I would be happy to help you start your new business.

WHO are you?? How can I reach you?? Phone?? Email??

Talk to me, LUCKIEST