Post a new topic
    16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 12:54 AM by AzTouristNews

Finding Festivals & Events

edgar9867 Newbie
      I recently purchased a complete 22 foot mobile food kitchen and have been working at getting into festivals and events. Seems like even though the applications dates are still open I find it hard to get inside these festivals. I have subscribed to the "Where The Shows Are" magazine and have been using this as a resource to call contacts for these events. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where I would find more information on festivals and recommendations on what cuisine to sell to get in? I would prefer to stay in the State of Florida but would travel to Georgia & Alabama. Thank you for your help in advance
        • Re: Finding Festivals & Events
          Treasurevault Newbie
          The best sourse for festivals and events for vendors is the Chamber of Commerce in whatever town you plan set up in. These organizations can tell you dates, times, fees, and major themes to make your sales as a vendor more successful.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Mozart Wayfarer

How about contacting the Chamber of Commerce or City Hall of major cities? I used to work for local government, and I know that every city knows well in advance (several years or at least 6 months ahead) the schedule of major events. Festivals and events typically involve special permits due to traffic impacts, etc. so the city is well aware of major events. You might want to try the Parks & Recreation Department, if not you can always contact the City Manager's department and they should be able to direct you to the appropriate department.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              cozmo53 Newbie
              I would thimk a great place to start might be at the Chamber Of Commerce in the large Cities and networking with other people who also have a cart.
              My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a used cart and setting it up for our Franchise Business to do Sales at Football games, practices, and events such as you are talking about in an effort to create Brand awareness in our Territory in Arizona. You might be familiar with our Brand-Tropical Smoothie Cafe'.
              You also could probably do a lot of research online to locate events. Clubs such as The Americam Legion, The Lions Clubs, Kiwanis, ETC organizations such as these might be a great resource to find events. Good Luck!
                Techie Wayfarer
                I know you are inquiring about festivals and events - but have you ever considered taking your mobile kitchen to a university area? When I was in college, I have extremely found memories of "the trucks" -- there was one truck with Chinese food, one with Mexican, and the other with Carribean. Almost every day I had lunch there. Students would be waiting in long but fast lines each day at noon. For just under $5.00 it was great value. I think it was extremely profitable, as one of the truck owners had a restaurant & the restaurant never needed to open on the weekend.
                  edgar9867 Newbie
                  Thank you all for your help and resources. Very much appreciated.
                    talbratton Newbie
                    I subscribe to Florida Magazine for event listings and go to the event web site for registration info.
                      puzzleman Tracker
                      I sell my products at about 25 - 30 art and craft festivals as well as street fairs thoughout the middle USA. I have found that Festivalnet.org is the best website as you control what you want to find. They do have a free section where you can locate shows and check out the power of their database. I have a level 1 membership and find that sufficent for my needs. Chambers of Commerce are good but they don't set up the fairs mostly. A lot of times it is an arm of the C of C or a charitable org. that does it. A lot of times a for profit org. is setting up the festival for the cahmber.
                        LUCKIEST Guide
                        edgar, Two months have passed since you posted your question about getting into festivals and events.
                        How is it going. Are you so busy that do not have time to bring us up to date.
                        Everything O K in warm Florida?? LUCKIEST
                            edgar9867 Newbie

Hey Guys. Been a couple of months but just a few updates on this business. We travelled to Tallahassee Florida for a 10 day fair and got the worst possible spot there was. Even the cell phone accessory vendor received a better spot. They have asked us back next year with some commitments but we are on the sidelines on that one. Have done a few festivals but nothing to brag about yet. Currently I am parking at a spot next to an industrial park and things seem to be slowly picking up. I have streamlined my menu to just a few items (no more than a dozen) and it seems to working out fairly well. I have been there only a week but folks are getting to know that I am out there and are slowly turning up. I have been invited to the Martin Luther King event in downtown Orlando & might even be able to get into the Central Florida Fair. As far as Chamber of Commerce are concern I find that information is poor & you never seem to catch the right person. If anything I have become a rather decent telephone solicitor. My best source so far has been the local television stations websites that list the city events and a magazine called "Where the Shows Are". I will keep you all updated frequently. Hey, What's with all these licenses??? Seems everyone in the government wants to dig into you already empty pot :-)
                            silvercell18 Wayfarer
                            It's been a couple of years since this post....but I have done some research through school before regarding mobile restaurants. Hopefully this will help other people who are in the same dilema.

http://www.craftsitedirectory.com/craftshows/index.html

Craftshows are actually a good place to have mobile food vans etc. Try Googling more links for Craftshow events.
                              AzTouristNews Newbie
                              I publish 150 events covering three months EVERY month. Arizona....we bake, as opposed to sweat....You are welcome to enjoy Arizona...please go to http://www.aztourist.com

Tony Venuti, Publisher