Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 1:15 PM by coleman63

Best Method of Getting Money That is Owed

coleman63 Wayfarer
      I am a very small business and found out very quickly that taking a friends GOOD word is not always the best policy. I sub-contracted a job back at the beginning of December. The agreement ,on a hand shake was $2,000.00 was to be paid to me the first week of January and the remaining $1,250.00 was to be paid the first week of Febuary.

Well, as you guessed No Money. I have confirmed the contractor has been paid on the job which was sub-contracted.

I would like to know if anyone has a professional advise on getting me paid for the work I completed. I now owe my suppliers for the equipment and supplies!

Help!
        • Re: Best Method of Getting Money That is Owed
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Best Method of Getting Money

To start with, A hand shake is a legal agreement.

Who and What is the relationship of this person?? Tell this person that you are going to let other businesses know that He is NOT a man who keeps his word.

Are you ready to contact a Lawyer??

Good luck. LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              coleman63 Wayfarer
              Thank you for the reply. The friend worked for me several years ago and has always been true to his word. I think the problem is coming from his business partner which handles AP. I have tried to contact them by phone and all of a sudden I can't get an answer. I emailed them on Friday and stated that I need the Money in by Monday or I will be forced to take a lien out on his business and take him to small claims court.

No response as of today. Is there anything else I might be able to do without dragging this out.
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  Money That is Owed

Go pay them a visit.

Go to their office, their home, annoy them, annoy their wife's, stop in at dinner time etc

Become a pest
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      Unfortunately, you are going to have to become a pest of sorts.

Luckiest is right, pay them a visit with an invoice for services rendered. Try to talk to your friend first. Make sure you have all of the terms and conditions that you had agreed to spelled out in writing, document when and how long you did the work, what was provided, everything. Leave a copy with them. Let them now that you are not going away nor will you be quiet about this - if you were performing this service for a client of theirs, contact that client's AP person about your outstanding invoice.

Sometimes you have to make some noise. Never work from a handshake again.