Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 1:30 PM by KidSaver

Do I have to pay taxes when I buy online?

rolonap Wayfarer
      Help...

I recently started purchasing (online) for raw materials for my bussines, some vendors charge taxes some don't. How do I know if I am supposed to pay taxes or not?
      Some vendors ask me if I am tax exempt, if so to fax my exempt certificate. How do I get one?

Any comment, help welcome
        • Re: Do I have to pay taxes when I buy online?
          amspcs Ranger
          Contact your state and/or local tax collector.
            coleman63 Wayfarer

Hello,

If you want to apply for a tax number you will have to go to the IRS web site (www.irs.gov) and fill out the form *+SS-4. +*This will only take a few minutes to fill out and save you headaches later down the road. You will get whats call an Employer Indentification Number or (EIN) in the mail with in a week to 10 days. This number will identify you, your business, your businesses accounts, tax returns even if you do not have employees.

You can also call the IRS direct at 1-800-829-4933 or 1-800-829-3676

Hope this answered some of your questions.

Good Luck.
              KidSaver Newbie
              It really depends on the laws in your state regarding the materials you are purchasing. Rule of thumb is that if you are purchasing from a company within your state, then yes, you are responsible to pay the taxes. Whether you use your tax id number or not will determine when you have to pay them. Out of state rule of thumb is that you don't pay taxes. There are exceptions though, such as automobiles, and they vary state to state.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful