Post a new topic
    16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 2:08 PM by limwebdesign

Please review my website

allcars Adventurer
      Please review my website at http://www.allcarcentral.com/ and provide some feed back. Thanks
        • Re: Please review my website
          igntesolution Wayfarer

I am afraid this site is poorly designed, I would put it maybe 3/10.

1) There is no clear branding/logo scheme to identify yourself with.
          2) The navigation is overshadowed by the much larger and more prominent advertisements.
          3) Upon first arriving to your site, it is unclear what your website it meant to provide.
          4) The main page has WAY to much content and much too small of a text size.

Those are just a few problems that I have seen from a quick look at your site. On the upside it does appear that you do have a good amount of content that many may find valuable, the only challenge now is to find a new way to display that content that is cleaner/easier to understand for your viewers, and also brands your name in their minds.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              allcars Adventurer

igntesolution

Thank you for your valuable time and sharing your views. I will move the advertising banners to a less prominent location and work on your other recommendations.

Item 3 is a challenge. I have considered using an opening page with just a few click-on redirects, but I wonder if this could be just a waste of my viewers time.
                  igntesolution Wayfarer
                  As per item 3, yes creating an opening page is the right direction to be heading. It might seem like a waste of time to you because you understand what the page is about and what information you are providing. But to somebody who just stumbles upon your site with no prior knowledge they will be overwelmed without an opening page to ease them into things.
                      allcars Adventurer

igntesolution

Thanks
                      This is the point where I know too much and yet not enough. Which brings me to this.

If the search engines target the opening or index page to find content within the text on the opening page which supports the data deeper in the site, how can the page be a visual teaser and yet adequately identify the site content to the search engines.

As the scope of my site is quite broad I can see this is going to be a good challenge.
                          igntesolution Wayfarer

So long as your design and navigation are clearly laid out and the search engine bots can understand how to navigate your website, they will not only crawl your main page, but they will navigate through your site and index other pages as well.

It helps to lay out a flow chart on paper or a whiteboard to get your navigation down right.

Your home page should give a brief description of what the site is for, perhaps a 'featured ride' segment or a featured article, top 10 most recently added items, top 10 most viewed items, these are all just suggestions off the top of my head but you get the idea.

Search engine optimization can be a very complicated process so if it is very important to your business getting a professional to take things over would be best.
                    amspcs Ranger
                    My honest impression: Way way too busy. When it first opened on my screen I was just overwhelmed...
                    didn't know where to go first. In a word, I guess it's not very 'inviting'. Maybe instead of trying to put everything on the initial screen, you should give some thought to organizing your content, then dedicating the home page
                    to 'teasers' with links to the various sub-categories. Kind of like the philosophy of billboard advertising--get your main message across in as few words as possible because if yoiu don't generate interest and curiosity within the first 5 seconds or so, you've lost that viewer.

How about returning the favor and reviewing my site as well.(see below). It's actually not a new site, but it was completely revamped and reorganized, and relaunched last week. I'd be interested in your comments.
                    Thanks and good luck with your site.

AMSPCS
                    www.MerchantServices-help.com
                        allcars Adventurer

AMSPCS

Great points. I have thought it best to show the viewer what is available up front. I am old-school, ie. magazines and newspapers, where I have never felt a need to linger on the contents page before delving into the good stuff inside the cover. I will try some changes and see what I can come up with.

I had a look at your site and find it very well done, easy to read and to the point.

Visual nits could be picked but I will not.
                        Allcars
                            amspcs Ranger
                            Here's somebody you really should talk to about website organization, SEO optimization, etc.
                            Very friendly and reasonable. He re-did our website and I am VERY happy with his work. If you
                            spend a few moments with John, you can't help but learn something valuable. He's also a frequent contributor to this forum and a wealth of information.

John Kelly
                            6x6 Design, LLC
                            877-504-SITE
                            (c) 215-208-1702
                            (f) 585-385-1074
                            john@6x6design.com
                            www.6x6design.com

AMSPCS
                            www.MerchantServices-help.com
                                allcars Adventurer
                                Thanks I will check into this
                                    stevepat Adventurer

My suggestion on Design- Images need to be organized properly ,presently looks like not organized.

Quality of images poor, I suggest have some good looking cars ..

Have design which looks more professional , i suggest have pages mike mint.com which look better , check some nascar website ..

And SEO point of view have keyword focused content and links with keywords.

That it for now and get some cool design which small business website design company, like smallbizexpress.com, web.com etcs..
                                        allcars Adventurer

Thank you for your review. I will study your recommendations. However, and this is not in defense of my layout, as everything can be improved on. But your recommendation to follow such sites as NASCAR http://www.nascar.com/ as examples of a well designed site leaves me a bit confused.

I find many of the major sites very difficult to navigate including the NASCAR site as there is ‘stuff' all over the pages.

I have just up-loaded a revised and slimed down opening page based on the suggestions offered from the Forum
                                        Allcars
                                limwebdesign Wayfarer
                                Hi allcars-

your website really need some major overhaul..
                                you need to go back to the drawing board...
                                there are many many things you need to do .. if you want to be successful online
                                here is some thought:
                                1. Brand.. u need logo
                                2. re-design (clean simple design is what best)
                                3. What is your goal doing this website?
                                4. You need DATABASE generated site.. did you create all those HTML?
                                5. SEO -- design with CSS instead of table.
                                6. Navigation... re-think the structure.. and how you are going to display it.

i can go on and on... :) but i'll stop here.

I hope that helps a little bit.. and whoever re-design your website get the idea:)

Andy
                                    allcars Adventurer
                                    Andy

Thanks to you and all the others for the help. All suggestions I have received, I can understand, are necessary in today's net to be at the top of the search ranking. However today's net is not yesterdays or tomorrows net. With the constant improvements in search engine formulas and the constant up improvements in coding from basic HTLM to the PHP, Java, Flash, and who knows what is next, how is a large data site able to keep up and stay search engine and style "current"?
                                        igntesolution Wayfarer
                                        The short answer is, most people do not stay current with changes in the industry. Particularly people who build out their sites on their own. If you intend to do it all on your own, the best you can do is try to build for the now. It is not pratical to try to run your online website/business while also maintaining all of the current and future knowledge required to keep your website modern. Those are both full time jobs if done correctly.

That is where you need to step back as a business owner, and chose to deligate the task of web development to a skilled professional, so that you can focus your attention and efforts on running your business.

I am not sure what your goals are for this website/business so maybe this doesnt apply to you because you are looking at it as more of a hobby that could bring in a little income. But if it is your main source of income, let professional web developers do development, and free yourself of the technical side of things so you can put on your business owner's hat.

Matt Keys
                                        Web Developer
                                        Ignte Solutions LLC.
                                        http://www.ignte.com
                                          limwebdesign Wayfarer
                                          Allcar-
                                          You are right about the technology is always evolving..
                                          You don't know how frustrated i am when i am trying to program a website that works across all browsers (Multiple IE's, Firefox,Safari,Chrome) :( is one pain in the butt... but is it worthed.. you betcha, is my sales improving... hell yeah! :)

neways.. my point is:
                                          You never know what is going to happen next.. its a mystery.. but i can guarantee that it does not change over night or that often.
                                          HTML still arounds.. since the internet born. CSS still the same code as they first invented..
                                          Set the foundation right.. and getting it maintain once in a while.. nurture it.. then it will definitely be fruitful..
                                          I agree that there is always new technologies being invented (for example: .net and then .net 2.0, now 3.0 ), but by developing current Technologies you will find your website much more efficient, easy to maintain and most importantly the perception of professionalism in your business :)

Enough talk.. heh... i need to get back to work :)
                                          Have a wonderful day!