Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2008 6:22 PM by eyespyli

How to deal with employee theft?

teacup Wayfarer
      My cash register is short lately. Coincidentally, I've hired someone new recently. A bad thought popped in my mind: Could it be employee theft? Or maybe I'm over reacting and it's just bad counting. What should I do to monitor this? I've never had this happen before.
        • Re: How to deal with employee theft?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Great question. You are in business and part of running a business is handling employees.
          It would help to know more, like how many employees have access to the cash register??
          How much money is missing?? Are we talking nickels and dimes or larger sums??
          What is the background of this new employee?? Is the employee use to handling money
          and making change or is this a new situation for the employee.
          How is the register on days that the new employee is off??
          Another thought - -Does the register automatically respond with the change amount??
          Lastly if you really suspect that the shortages are related to the new hire, a pep talk or
          a warning that you are aware of the shortage might be in order.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
            Flowers Newbie

Ever since I can remember, our family business has always counted and balanced the cash in the register near the end of every day and this activity is visible to all employees. We've never had an issue with a short register and we've had lots of different employees over the years, so you may curtail the issue if your employees are simply aware that you monitor this daily.
              WEBillions Adventurer
              You should try to find out more about your new employee and maybe others. Have they had a sudden change in financial status that may have prompted them to be less than loyal? Or have they started buying expensive clothes or any other red flags? It would be ideal to be positive before you talk to them or let them go. Is the person otherwise a good employee?
                SpeedE55 Newbie
                Two words: Hidden Camera. That will eliminate any guessing as to who's doing what.
                  eyespyli Newbie

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, in our business (surveillance) we hear this repeatedly. Fortunately, you CAN protect you business. Today surveillance systems offer more then just "seeing" what's going on in your store. Check out our findings at if you need any additional tips just send us an email. We would be more then happy to help.

herculestex1 Wayfarer
                    luckiest, once again your answer is correct and awesome. I have been a restaurant manger for 10 yrs and every time 100% my money comes up short it's because of the new person I hired. sometimes it's counting but most times its theft. depending on how much money is missing, i'll give a personal training on counting back money. if it's more i'll immediately discharge. once again different states have different rules on discharging. you have to think of unemployment costs and always document on a writeup sheet of some kind and have party in question sign. As a manager it's someone else's money as an owner it's my money. and I have little to none, in tolerance to thieves.
                      eyespyli Newbie

herculestex1, the best way to avoid problems when discharging someone for stealing is to have the evidence. Our clients who have CCTV cameras "aimed" at the registers, stockrooms and such have only to present the evidence to police (or the employee) and it's over.

The defense of "No, I didn't take it" when faced with overwhelming evidence is dismissed.

Today's DVR and CCTV system are inexpensive compared to lawsuits and loss of inventory and/or money. An added benefit is it helps with "slip and fall" lawsuits.

ESLI Surveillance