Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 10:57 AM by JunctionQuest

Can an LLC be an Employee of a Corporation?

Kiralily Newbie
      Can an LLC be treated as an employee of a corporation, or must it be treated as an independent contractor?
        • Re: Can an LLC be an Employee of a Corporation?
          mr_erp Wayfarer
          This is definitely a question for your accountant but as a business owner, I would say no. An entity (LLC, INC.) can not be treated as an employee. I believe the key distinction is that an individual requires a Social Security number for tax purposes and a business entity requires an EIN number. Many of my "employees" are contractors who have formed LLC's or Inc.'s. At any rate, your accountant should be able to give you the official skinny.
          • Re: Can an LLC be an Employee of a Corporation?
            JunctionQuest Wayfarer
            I agree that this is a question for your accountant but from my knowledge, an LLC could work as an indpendent contractor for a corporation. Example: Many years ago, I operated an LLC and was offered a position for a web development firm. I requested that i was hired as an indendent contractor, where they would be basically contracting with my LLC, i would be an employee of my LLC. Where I looked and seemed like an employee to the other co-workers, I was in fact an employee of my LLC, and my LLC was hired by the corporation that i was doing work for.
            Hope this helps

JunctionQuest.com Co-Founder