Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 6:07 PM by Lighthouse24

Branding Using President Obama! Can he help  YOUR BUSINESS!

Rick Tillman Newbie

Hello Everyone,

2009 is your time for success. Are you worried about the recession? If yes or no, please read on. Unless you have been asleep under a rock. There are unique opportunities to market simply and effectively using President Obama. Ok before you ask, here's why. Former Presidents Kennedy and Regan was the largest from a branding prospective. Some of you remember Reganomics, and still to this day there exist the Reganomics groups who believe they can obtain income through his spirit. Wow!

So here's how my company used President Obama as a brand. As a specialty coffee roasted we created the "1st Family House Blend Coffee, A Taste Of Unity." This gourmet coffee blend contains some of Kenya's finest coffee beans and is slow-roasted to perfection for a rich, smooth taste that always satisfies. We used Keyan coffees to honor Mr. Obama's father. We have been able to ship this coffee around the country.

Now here comes the question, you don't sell coffee or ice cream like "Yes Pecan" but you have a service. You can add new key words to your website, using political or governemt phrases or words to include Economic Stimulus.
        • Re: Branding Using President Obama! Can he help  YOUR BUSINESS!
          DomainDiva Ranger
          Maybe it's just me but I find this terribly offensive to the Office of the President of the United States. I would not purchase this product if it were available to me.
            • Re: Branding Using President Obama! Can he help  YOUR BUSINE
              Iwrite Pioneer
              I think that is the risk you run, but I tend to look at it on a case by case example. The car company using an Obama impersonator I really don't like, but the coffee flavor I might be cool with. It is like the deli that names its sandwiches after famous people - I've always liked that. I think it is the use of a President's image (any President) that bothers me.

I know, there is no reasoning to my thoughts, but that is the way I feel.
                Rick Tillman Newbie
                I understand your feelings, but there's nothing for you to be offended by because here's why:

Throughout history corporations have capitalized on every President. Of course this is based on the popularity of the President. So we're talking big business. And with our current ways of communications more people are aware of it now than ever before. And like you some takes offense to it. Each President understands going in that corporate and some individuals are able make profit off of them through the selling of their likeness. Now is that fair? Well yes, if this is the United States Of America. Why because, every Presidential Administration uses it as part of their agenda to help show their parties’ success. Also think for minute how the President gets into office, by campaigning, rising money from donations that goes where? Back to the media giants, for example President Obama spent $3.3 million in a single day of TV advertising. His total spending was over $100 Million. And those people of smiling all the way to the bank.

Another point, when a President says look at the jobs and wealth created during my administration. This includes companies that used their likeness to sell products that created additional jobs.

So let’s take the President that made the most for corporations during his time; there was Reaganomics in the 1980, and some of us had the Reaganomic Blues during that time. Old Ronnie ushered in a period of economic empowerment, for some, that is still remembered, by some, as the best ever. To this day, the Conservatives are making every attempt to reincarnate the Great Communicator, by holding séances otherwise known as political debates, like the one we saw held at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, California, during the Republican primary. Those folks love themselves some Ronald Reagan and they loved Reagonomics.

Plus he was my Commander And Chief, and having served our Great Nation for twelve years I take pride in the progress of those who seek to achieve more. So if I see a young man or lady selling Obama T-shirts and NOT DRUGS on the corner I'm all for it. I love to see positive success, but there should also be a return. See I am more than just a CEO of my company, I'm always giving back, during the holidays I had the honor to serve free coffee to over 600 homeless, the in their eyes and the smiles on their faces tell the story. The "1st Family House Blend Coffee, A Taste Of Unity" we are using money from than to put on our Third Annual Black Fathers Appreciation Dinner.
                Thank you kindly for your reply.
                Rick Tillman, Farley's Coffee, Inc. The Coffee With a Classic Taste!
                www.farleyscoffeeinc.com
                    DomainDiva Ranger

Please do not talk down to me and tell me 'here's why you should not be offended' as though I was some retrograde IQ. I am prefectly capable of having my OWN opinions and do not appreciate someone telling me that the opinions I hold , I should actually not hold because YOU are trying to sell something to me that I will not purchase becasue I disagree with the advertising you are doing.

Exucse me is this NOT AMERICA, and am I not entitled to my OPINION which I posted? IWrite posted HIS opinion and I respect HIS OPINION. You sir, do not respect any opinions except those that agree with yours.

I find your advertising offensive to the office of the President of the United States. Period. Dot. THE END.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  I understood the message in the original post to be this: linking your particular product/brand to President Obama might increase your sales.

If that "link" can be accomplished with a short-term, low-cost tactic to implement, I can't really disagree . . . and here's why.

My book, A Pirate Captain's Guide to Leadership, makes no mention of President Obama or Presidential politics. There was never anything posted on my websites that related to the Office of the President, the election process, or even politics in general. Even so, I have seen the benefit of a "connection" to the new President that I didn't even create.

As you may know, Amazon.com has some very sophisticated "auto-merchandising" functions -- tools that quickly scan your web browsing and buying habits, analyze customer histories and purchases, and then present each shopper with selections that have proven to be among the things that such a person is likely to buy. For whatever reason (it wasn't at my prompting, and I certainly never saw it coming!), several people who bought books by or about President Obama also bought my book. Better yet, some of them posted positive buyer reviews, and tagged keywords that were common to both my book and the books by/about the President.

So, when someone searches Amazon for an Obama book now, if their buying habits and profile are similar to those people who also bought my book, my book will be featured right there on the page with the President's. Wow, imagine what I might have been tempted to do when writing and editing the book, if I had anticipated that! Of course, no one knows what the future holds, and this "connection" may or may not always be such a good thing. So in the end, I would not have chosen to exploit it intentionally. But I can't deny that, so far, it has probably resulted in the sale of a few more books.
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger
                      While I never did anything to link my product to/with the President, Amazon (as a retailer) sometimes does -- and a few copies have sold as a result that might not have otherwise.
                      • Re: Branding Using President Obama! Can he help  YOUR BUSINE
                        Iwrite Pioneer
                        Lighthouse, yes that was the message of the original post. I think we are stretching the examples a little, but I'll play along.

I think the responses against this show the potential for backlash. I simply you should go into it with your eyes open, recognizing that this may be a polarizing issue, meaning people may either like it or hate it with few in the middle. I mean, look at how the responses have run. No one seems to be in the middle.

Would I recommend this for a client? No. It is more of a gimmick than a sound strategy, and what happens if his approval rating falls - you are tied to a very unpopular figure. I have seen this happen with celebrity endorsements, the celebrity gets in trouble and a brand takes a hit.

For me, there are better ways to build a brand. That being said, I believe any business person can use whatever methods they want to increase business, just be prepared for the good and the bad.