Post a new topic
    0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 12:21 PM by Adducent

Dilbert™ & The Magic Pill of Self-Employment

Tracker

A few Sunday's ago, the Dilbert^TM ^cartoon for that day struck me (as always) how "dead-on" Scott Adams is about corporate life's funny but sad "truths". Maybe you saw this cartoon as well. The cartoon shows Dilbert's co-workers sympathizing with him about him having a crappy boss. One person offers to refer him to a psychiatrist who can prescribe for him a pill that will make him feel "self-employed".

I had to smile when I read that. Us business owners, the "self-employed" know that we have our own worries and things to contend with but few of us probably would want to go back to working for someone else.

But I do remember what it was like working for someone else and what it was like when I left my corporate career to run my own businesses. I wish it had been as easy as taking a pill. Nobody had one to give me though. I had to figure out things on my own, and with the help of a lot of reading and study, time, effort and trial and error, I learned how to create an opportunity that became my exit from working for someone else. I worked extra-hours on side jobs; side businesses and projects to make extra money ... used my credit cards to bankroll my start-ups ... developed contacts and earned the respect of people who could become financial partners to help me buy other businesses. I worked my butt off to make things happen. No magic pill, no short cuts ... just a lot of often-painful experience. As Kipling writes ... "I've met with triumph and disaster" ... and learned from both. I created this site and write these articles to not only push (sell) my own services and products ... but also to share what I have learned so that others can benefit ... and hopefully make fewer mistakes and have fewer painful experiences than I did.

Right now times are tough, for a lot of people and businesses big and small in America. But we, the people, are tough ... I think we're tougher than the times and things will get back on track. Unfortunately, there is no "magic pill". As a nation we have to focus on doing the right things at the right time, when they are needed to be done; we have to put forth a smart, well-thought out plan to consistently execute and know that the level and quality of effort and determination we have exhibited in other tough times ... can "cure" a lot of things.

Those are also the basic ingredients for success that individuals can use, that for many (and I'm blessed to be one) has led to successful self-employment.

You can do this too. What I (and many others) have done to become successfully self-employed is not impossible.

Here are a few things for you to think about and to follow (yes, I know they seem obvious and common sense but trust me ... it's doing the common sense things that get you to where you want to go):

1. Figure out what it is that you want to do (what type of business you want to be in to start or buy) that will make you happiest and meet your financial goals.
      2. Study and prepare yourself to become self-employed while you still are working and bringing in a paycheck.
      3. Put in the effort to create a detailed plan and timetable so that you have a clear objective and timeframe for accomplishing the steps needed to get you to where you want to go.
      4. Execute your plan, make any adjustments needed as you go, do not stop, make every day count towards accomplishing some part, no matter how small, that moves you closer to your goal.
      5. Never stop learning and expanding on who you are and what you can do.

Remember ... knowledge, preparation, good planning, execution (getting thing done) and personal determination are what will help you change virtually any situation in your life.

If you feel insecure about your job or career, now is the time to start getting yourself in order. So that when the time is right for you, once you have all the right things in place, then your "magic pill" will appear and you can take it to join the ranks of the self-employed and have more control over your financial security and much of your life.

Best of luck and good fortune to you,
      Dennis Lowery
      Adducen, Inc.