This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2007 10:57 AM by LUCKIEST RSS

How to save when you need to fly at the last minute

Techie Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My company often has to fly out to prospective customers' locations at the very last minute - - and although we are excited about the opportunity, it can also be very expensive to secure tickets only a few days in advance. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the lowest fares possible?
  • Re: How to save when you need to fly at the last minute
    Mozart Newbie

Unfortunately you always get penalized for a last minute purchase! If possible, try making your flight arrangements during non-peak travel times and days. For example, if you have to stay through Thursday, it could be cheaper to actually spend the night at a hotel and fly out on Friday morning vs. fly Thursday afternoon and be packed in like sardines.
    gmonkey Newbie
    Sometimes I look online at the big travel agencies for last-minute deals. Orbitz, Expedia and Hotwire all "occassionally" have something good. Otherwise, you really do have to look at red eye flights and off-peak travel times. Call the airline and ask them if they can tell you the lowest fare offered from point a to point b, and they can usually help out as well.
    Marzipan Newbie

Always book online even if you inquire on the phone! Some airlines are charging as much as $20 to book a reservation on the phone.
      DomainDiva Master
      Thats because the airlines now 'farm out' reservations to stay at home moms and other people working from home. That extra fee helps pay them. I have found that the 20 or so you spend for an online booking is a lot of times a really good value. I have saved tons of money on reroutes and other things. If you can establish a rapport quickly with the agent they can find you all sorts of deals, they make money when they book not how much the booked travel costs. Also thes4e reservationsists have all of the info there to do the quirky tings that you cannot do online.
    Ed O'Gee Apprentice

I'd suggest looking for your ticket the day of the flight and finding airlines that have open seats on those flights. When they lack stand by passengers they usually will sell those seats at big discounts.
    DomainDiva Master
    The airlines 'see you coming' for the last minute fares, the business traveler pays a huge price.

If you have only one days notice you may be out of luck, going standby is risky when a client is expecting you at a meeting. For anything with more than a 24 hour notice I would suggest the online travel agents.

ALSO, having a land line friend in the travel business can be a help too....lots of times travel agents get the last last minute deal notifications and you can save a bundle.

We have also found that we can schedule meetings in advance it helps as well.
    travlguy Newbie
    Hey there when you have to fly do you have to get a room and car also ....if you do check out my site for last minute deals or weekend specials that include package deals that might save money ......Another thought when you go to my site go to flights and go to advance search and you will tie in to a booking engine that gives you more choice you may save some money .... www.JBFlytravelgroup.com
    LUCKIEST Master

Getting
    the lowest airfare from Point A to Point B can be a ridiculously
    frustrating experience, especially if in mid-flight you discover your
    neighbor paid a third what you did. The way airlines work, failing to get
    the best fare happens more often than you would like to believe.

UNDERSTAND HOW AIRLINES SET THEIR PRICES IN THE FIRST PLACEAirline

pricing is a complex, unpredictable beast driven by three ugly words:
    competition, demand, an you must know the forces at work.

All
    major airlines feed their available seats and prices into four central
    reservation systems that are owned by various airlines. . Airlines then change their prices based on demand. If a
    certain flight is selling well, the price will increase. If another
    flight has no takers, the fare will drop until the airline gets some.
    As a result, fares and inventory are changing every minute.

Do your homework, LUCKIEST

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points