Post a new topic
    40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 4:34 PM by bigbearomaha

Cool tech gadgets for running your business?

FashionGal Wayfarer
      Just wondering what type of gadgets people in the Community like to use to make running your business (and life easier)?
        • Re: Cool tech gadgets for running your business?
          gmonkey Wayfarer
          The biggest thing I love is the wireless card I have for my business. I can access the internet anywhere/anytime. It links up through the cell phone network, so the internet is just a click away. I have my card through Verizon, but I think that many companies offer the service. It is also not that expensive, only $60 a month or so. It makes travel time productive time.
            Origins Newbie
            Definitely I could not live without my canon digital camera!
              Techie Wayfarer

Portable memory stick!
                Marzipan Wayfarer
                I actually like my ipod as music is a great stress reliever.
                  akgold Adventurer
                  Since I fly a lot for business, one of my favorite gadgets are the noise cancelling headphones. I picked mine up in the airport in Portland, OR so I saved on the 8.5% sales tax that I would pay in CA. Granted I probably paid a little more due to them being in the airport. :-)

And I also have to say that I have been an avid Mac fan since my college years and I love my PowerBook.
                    JavaJoe Wayfarer
                    Without a doubt i'd have to say my blackberry!
                      DomainDiva Ranger
                      I am hooked on: Verizon mobile broadband, digital camera and iPod. I can always access it, capture it and listen to it. (Whatever 'it' is) ;)
                        MadBiz Newbie
                        I would have to agree with gmonkey on the wireless card, Techie on the memory stick, MarziPan on the Ipod (but get the one with Video, luv it!), and JavaJoe on the Blackberry, though I don't use as much since getting wireless card. Lastly, though I have my laptop & Blackberry with me at all times, nothing captures my thoughts faster than my personal/portable digital recorder.
                        1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          Wellness Newbie
                          I had a cell phone, BlackBerry, and wireless card for my laptop, as no one device did it all. I found that the i-phone does it all. I can open attachments in email, locate addresses from maps and much more. I saved over $1500/yr by combining it all in one, with much greater ease of use. Take a look.
                            Santa Fe CPA Adventurer
                            I have found that using 2 (17" or larger) monitors will increase productivity by at least 25%
                            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              cdavisnow Newbie
                              I believe you need a PDA which is a hand held computer to be effective. There are many to choose from but be careful to get the one you need versus a telephone PDA smartphone which has limited capability.
                                ParadiseOasis Newbie
                                Wireless internet for sure.
                                • I 2nd the iPhone
                                  bboyfanatic Newbie
                                  I would make some improovements on it tho.

• Calendar alerts with a snooze function.
                                  • Tasks

Otherwise, it's excellent for accessing email and a fully rendered webpage. Reading and replying to email is easy enough. I am even able to connect to my work's exchange server. AT&T service is very spotty though, almost aggravating. If the original iPhone carrier was Verizon, I would've been happier.

A personalized feed aggregator like netvibes or pageflakes also helps when you're dealing with tons of thingas to check on.
                                    mpoweringu Wayfarer
                                    Just repeating some others here in a way, but maybe a few new ones.

Totally have to have my Motorala Q 9m with my contacts, voicemail, cell phone, email, calendar, tasks, mobile documents, network connections, and mobile web to access my web-based CRM tool. This is my key device to get business done!

My trusty Dell x300 laptop that weighs less than two poinds and has a 12" screen and mobile wifi to access anything requiring a PC and for working remotely via the free service offered by LogMeIn.com at www.logmein.com (same as GoToMyPC, but FREE!) Also I use Hamachi from LogMeIn.com, a free VPN client to connect my laptop remotely to my internal office network (I can even print documents in the office instead of trying to find a fax machine to print it locally and send it to the office.)

My iPod Nano when I just need to relax and want to listen to some tunes or podcasts (I also use it to "read" the news via podcasts when on trips.)

My Canon Rebel xTi 8MP digital SLR camera for "catching" the sights on any of my trips as photography is a hobby of mine or using it to capture images used in client work.

That's about it!

My trusty Canon travel bubblejet printer for printing documents on the go.
                                      IOJOE1 Newbie

How about a 'tech gadget' that can run your business from anywhere your are? There is a new technology solution that is here today called Software as a Service - SAAS. This solution should be taken seriously as a consideration for running your business and web site because it helps solve the myriad
                                      of day-to-day issues single owner, small and medium size businesses face.

In today's work place issues like travel, two offices, part-time workers, teleworkers, stay at home mom's are becoming a large factor in the operational ability of a company to be efficient and productive. Additional issues of email mgt, shared contacts, shared calendars, order management, inventory management - all need to be addressed. This tool not only provides easy management of your web site thru simply to use Content Tools and centralized your business data - you can access it from any computer/pda/cell phone - with an Internet connection.

In typical software you have 5-9 pieces of software, phones, pda, servers, web site designers, hosting - and the story goes on and on. What if you could lease a 'service' for a low monthly fee (like cable television) that solved all these problems and significantly cut those expenses! Take a look at http://www.internetoffice.biz as one of the providers of this new 'gadget' to help business get organized, centralized, efficient, productive and most of all happy doing their job!

To learn more about the new SAAS watch this short video: http://www.internetoffice.biz/overview/whatisSAAS.aspx

IOJOE
                                        Wirelessany1 Newbie
                                        I think one of the coolest "gadget" for running a business is a Remote Deposit scanner. This scanner coupled with the software provided by your bank allows you to make your deposits from your very own PC. The checks are imaged and the deposit is made available to your account.

A huge plus to this is that these deposits, no matter how large are not subject to the hold regulations placed by a teller in a branch. The regulations governing how deposits are handled only cover deposits made in a branch. When you are making the deposit from your PC, you are not in a branch. So that 100k that may have been held by the branch is completely available when you make the deposit from your own office.

Talk to your banker about Remote Deposit Service!
                                            ogonzy Newbie
                                            I like the Remote deposit service info. Sound interesting. Thanks for that.

The lates coolest "gadget" I've found is a Cellular Wireless broadband router. This is a router where you can insert a Verizon wireless card (commonly used in laptops) and you will get 4 broadband hot ports where you can connect 4 devices like in any other network. This is a cool way to share your Wireless broadband connection which it's been always subject to only your laptop. I use it when I install my Camera security system in construction sites where there is no power, phone or internet wiring yet. This way my customers can keep eyes on their constructions from their offices. Also they can use a VoIP phone for a temporary construction office.

Another cool gadget is my Vonage wireless WI-FI phone. Any place where there is a free internet hot-spot (restaurants, hotels, airports or neighbors) my vonage wi-fi picks up the internet signal and I get unlimited nationwide calls over the internet at a very unexpensive flat montly rate.
                                            talbratton Newbie
                                            Skype VOIP is a must, very very cost effective and with most headsets totally mobile. For international business a necessity.
                                                crewology.com Wayfarer
                                                You really should look at Globalinx for your international calling needs visit www.5linx.net/crewology an see the future of internet long distance service providers. We can give you all the home and office phone services you can ever wish for and you can get all of this with video connection. Yes, See who you are talking with. If you are into media you can share video over the system in real time. My friend and I have put together commercials for clients in no time because we where able to work in real time with sound and video over oue video phones. You talk about cool tools at $24.95 a month unlimited long distance. National and International Plans . We can set your small business up with PBX solutions as well check it out you will love what you see.
                                                The best to you, Crewology.com The Study of Working Together
                                                    ScubaDive Wayfarer
                                                    > {quote:title=crewology.com wrote:}{quote}
                                                    > You really should look at Globalinx for your international calling needs visit www.5linx.net/crewology an see the future of internet long distance service providers. We can give you all the home and office phone services you can ever wish for and you can get all of this with video connection. Yes, See who you are talking with. If you are into media you can share video over the system in real time. My friend and I have put together commercials for clients in no time because we where able to work in real time with sound and video over oue video phones. You talk about cool tools at $24.95 a month unlimited long distance. National and International Plans . We can set your small business up with PBX solutions as well check it out you will love what you see.
                                                    > The best to you, Crewology.com The Study of Working Together

Sounds cool
                                                  NatOnline Tracker
                                                  I've got a widescreen computer, very nice to manipulate multi windows, softwares, etc...

Another gadget, I build my computers myself all the time, I choose my CPU, my motherboard, etc...put all parts together it was fun, work great, very very fast computer.
                                                    Faerie Wayfarer
                                                    LogMeIn is the remote access program I use to remote access the primary business computer when I'm at home. I have it installed on two laptops both upstairs and downstairs so it's as easy to work from home as at the office.

RingCentral is the 800 service we use. I absolutely love it. When I'm in the office it rings there. When I'm working from home I have it forwarded to our distinctive ring number. If I'm expecting a call I can forward it to my cell phone. I set business hours so during evenings and weekends it goes straight thru to the message service.

The last thing is something I learned from my first business mentor - task specific printers. With the affordability of good printers it is more time efficient to have dedicated printers for specific tasks or work areas. For example, I have one printer that does nothing but print our packing slips/label sheets. One drawer is for printing USPS labels and reciepts and the other drawer has the paper oriented differently for printing from our order management program. On the same computer is attached a second printer for plain paper printing. No more swapping out paper - just print as needed.
                                                      unicorn Newbie

Without question the hottest is D.E.X.S.A.R. (digital exchange, storage and retrieval system) which lets me manage my entire business digital estate including electronic copies of bank statements, deeds, warranties, wills, trusts,medical records, and tax records. It alleviates having crates of paperwork and clutter. DigitalNow, the company that markets DEXSAR is giving away free business accounts at http://www.dexsar.com.
                                                        score81 Adventurer

There are following possible suggestios:

1. Banking on Line with microsoft Money /Quicken books.
                                                          2. Wireless LAN connection with in store for easy access on every corner.
                                                          3. USB memory stick to take home all daily data from your computer.
                                                          4. PDA to get recent updae about your needs of the work.
                                                            NatOnline Tracker
                                                            Well score81, I really careful about the new gadget like the PDA for a few security concerns:

1) They don't provide firewall

2) The Bluetooth can be accessible by anyone if close enough from your devise.

3) All anti-virus software companies start to offer this service for PDA or smart devise.

I don't understand why Microsoft Mobile don't have any firewall, that's a shame when you know how Microsoft is targeted. I hope to see some main updates very soon.
                                                                GoGators Newbie
                                                                1. Most PDA's and smartphones really don't need a firewall and the web browsing is fair at best. I personally never use the browser except for the Bank of America mobile banking (which is secured by SSL) however I do use the secure wireless sync to my Exchange server so all of my appts and email are updated in realtime.
                                                                2. Another bluetooth device can only access your device if you have your device is set to discoverable and not password protected.
                                                                3. Anti-virus should be done at the server level for email.

In my opinion the must have gadget is a smartphone wirelessly syncing my calendar and email in realtime.
                                                              MyBizGuru Newbie
                                                              As with most posts....My must haves are my wireless Internet, laptop, gotomypc.com. The best thing is that now flash drives are getting very inexpensive! I also love my Digital SLR camera with telephoto and my GPS.

I'm still wondering how humanity managed to survive back in the day before all this technology? LOL
                                                                seeker Wayfarer
                                                                a back up external hard drive?
                                                                  Bluesuit Adventurer
                                                                  This is a great question. I am going to bump this to get more responses. I'm always looking for new toys!
                                                                    Ryan524 Wayfarer
                                                                    Oh where to start...

• My laptop for sure

• External monitor to extend my desktop onto when I am in the office with my laptop (just find a free or cheap CRT on Craigslist and save some $$$)

• Open Source Software (this one is my fav, saves so much $$$ vesus commerical software. My fav OS software I use would have to be Sugar CRM, I use the community edition which is GPL'ed, 100% free as in no cost, and as in free to modify the source to meet my needs, saves so much versus say salesforce.)
                                                                      procompare Newbie
                                                                      WHEN SEARCHING FOR A TECH PRODUCT FOR YOUR BUSINESS, IT'S HARD TO KNOW WHERE TO EVEN BEGIN. If you want reliable and quick advice on which software, hardware, or webware solution is best for your small business, ProCompare.com (http://www.ProCompare.com) is where you should go. It uses a unique recommendation engine that ranks tech products based on reviews by a community of trusted IT professionals. It also has a cool personalization slider that lets you optimize the results based on the criteria that are most important to YOU.
                                                                        KadosTech Newbie
                                                                        I love Timeframe Professional, www.kadostechnology.com. It allows the peace of mind to know that I will be able to restore my computer or retrieve files that I think I may have lost in less than a minute. So, I have virtually no downtime. Great product to add to your existing portfolio of products used on your desktop. If you have a business with multiple desktops you can use the Enterprise edition. Worth looking into.
                                                                          Qvinci Adventurer
                                                                          You should take a look at Qvinci. Its designed to make running a business easier by saving the business manager/owner time and money. All vital information is aggregated into a graphical dashboard and displayed in real time so that you can always know how your business stands. Its totally customizable to any business and its very easy to use. Its also very low cost.

http://www.qvinci.com for more information.