Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2009 6:00 AM by Adducent

    New business in mind

    Delicias Newbie
      I have this idea for baking cookies for weddings/anniversaries or just for a wonderful get-together, my problem is how do I go about at doing it out of my home what licenses do I need, I want to concentrate my sales out of the area via mail, I did a shipment to a sister last year & everyone loved them at their reception, just that I was hoping to get orders from their guest, sort of build a link but it did not work, however my sister mentioned few people have been asking but still no orders. All ideas/guidance are welcome!! This cookies are very famous among Hispanic Fiestas!
        • Re: New business in mind
          Creditbuilder Scout

          Very good question! You may wish to consult with your attorney or other 3rd party sources, but what I am about to tell you will go a long way in helping you, at least initially.


          Bearing in mind I have no idea about licensing or where to advise you to go, but before you do ANY of that, the first thing you need to think about is protecting what you already have from potential lawsuits. What I am talking about is called asset protection. If you don't set yourself up from the beginning, it could potentially cause you legal issues. I advise you to get either a Nevada company or a Wyoming corporation and to foreign qualify the corporation in your state. We can usually do that for you, in some cases in as little as 3 business days.


          Therefore the first thing you should do is start a corporation. A good type for your line of business might either be a C-Corporation or an LLC - either should do.


          For now use your home address, but invest in a business phone line.


          The next thing you need to do is think about building your business' credit report and this can be done through This is an important step as you want to take measurable steps to separate yourself from your business.


          Then the next step is to go to the secretary of state and file for all appropriate documentation and I believe they provide any licensing you should need. If you have any questions or need help call us at 1-800-270-5960 or visit us at


          Best of luck to you!
          • Re: New business in mind
            Food businesses may require extra licensing so you will need to check with your local government on what the requirements are. Here is a link to a general search I did using Google with "food business licenses" as the search:


            You can do a similar search and add your city/state and also call your local business licensing department for specific details. Since you want to focus your sales on mail order you will also want to check for any state requirements for selling/delivering food products via mail. There are probably going to be specific labelling, packaging and safety/health requirements you will need to be aware of and compliant with.

            You can also see if you have a local SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Executives) or SBDC (Small Business Development Center) close to you. Both these organization provide free help to entrepeneurs and small business owners. They might be of assistance to you in answering business licensing questions specific to your area.

            I hope the above helps you.

            Dennis Lowery
            Adducent, Inc.