Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2009 8:49 AM by DomainDiva

A Complicated Problem for All Small Business Owners

CoolHandMatt Wayfarer

Ok here is a question for all of you small business owners. Its a complicated question so I ask it in general and then explain more in depth so you get what Im saying.

How do you "Set-Up" your business with technology?

Here is what I mean. I own a small business and organization is not one of my strong suits. I have to manage customers, track sales, keep up with my books, manage employees, track emails and correspondence, track website issues, send invoices, run marketing campagns etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. You know what you need to do. Sell stuff but actually doing it and more over keeping track of everything you do is much more complicated.

I was wondering how all of you do it?

I recently purchased MS Office 2007 in order to help. This is a fantastic program suite and will do everything I can throw at it. The problem is however, how to do you actually go about setting it all up? You know taking advantage of all it has to offer. Getting the programs to work with one another and keeping all the data in line so that its organized and where it needs to be. Everything I need it to do can be done but the task of setting it all up seems daunting. I want inegration across the board Sales, Finance, Marketing, Operations etc etc. How do I do it?

Your thoughts?
        • Re: A Complicated Problem for All Small Business Owners
          colmfmurphy Newbie
          http://www.salesforce.com/demos/

I have several associates who use this and apparently, it's quite good. I don't use it, have no plans on using it nor do I have any interaction with salesforce...

C.
            DomainDiva Ranger
            Are you trying to do this all by yourself?

How you answer will then give me an idea of what to tell you since my company handles all of those things...but then I have a team...
              DomainDiva Ranger
              Are you trying to do this all by yourself?

How you answer will then give me an idea of what to tell you since my company handles all of those things...but then I have a team...
                  CoolHandMatt Wayfarer
                  Yes for the most part I am trying to do ALL of this myself!

If I had some people around to spread the load this would not be a problem. One thing I dont get about business is how peoele are making money? I hear IDIOT ideas everyday and people claim to be making money with them. But, I tend to believe that they are just lying to make people think they are doing ok.

I feel I have a great idea.
                  I feel I have an uncomplicated business.
                  I feel Im offering services and products that are insanely cheap compared to the market.
                  I feel like Im much smarter than the people I encounter that are running their own businesses.

But for some reason my business is just spinning its wheels. Its hard to do business when you cant give your product away!!!!!!!!
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      There is a delicate balance between discounting your product and cheapening it. People tend to see things price to low as expendable or low quality. Giving it away may actually hurt you in the eyes of some consumers, especially in marketing and advertising. Some business people may interrupt your actions as being desperate - if you had the visitors would you be offering it for so low?

This is an insight not a characterization of your business.

It is all about making a connection, giving them a reason to want to use your business. Look at your message.
                          CoolHandMatt Wayfarer

I have indeed considered that, but never actually done any kind of analysis on it. However, right now Im just trying to get people in. Once their in (on the cheap) competition will hopefully take over. Im selling ad space which is suprisingly similar to real estate, in that once you own the land and good negibors move in you dont want to get rid of it even though someone will be willing to pay more for it.

However, even though I acknowledge it was my fault for sending it that way with the rant, this was not my original question. The original question was (read above) concerning the organizxation and integration of my business with technology.
                              DomainDiva Ranger
                              Trust IWrites' answer. I finally got my pricing right after IWrite gave me the same lecture in person!

If you are trying to do alla of this by yourself them you are going to have to make some kind of time plan. However what you really need is an assistant, one of those multi tasking types that never stop to breathe (so it seems...)

I am sure you have this one friend who can do everything at once. You need to convince this person to drink your kool aid. Maybe you can pay a little maybe even better give stock options in your venture and get them personally involved. Trust me on this.

Your best bet is to look really sad and helpless. This sounds terribly unprofessional, but you would be amazed at how many people work long hours for bosses that not only are sad and helpless but are able to convey the look as well.