Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2009 12:36 AM by strategery238

Worker's Taking Your Business! What would you do?

candi58 Wayfarer
      Hi everyone.
      As some of you already know, I own a residential & commercial cleaning business. I have been burnt 3 times in the past 2 years by people who I have hired to work for me, by them cutting back on their work schedule, and requesting that I do not fill those slots with new customers. Then come to find out, it was because these cleaning providers were cleaning for the customers that terminated the service.

I know that this business is very competitive. And the money looks good to the workers. But I do have regulations & guidelines that all of my providers sign and are suppose to abide by. I am now starting to have some strong suspicions that it could be happening again. Just too many coincidences on a certain schedule, and it is being requested that I do not fill these slots with new customers either. What would you do? If this person is cleaning for any past, current, or future customers, under my legal policy, they are subject to legal actions. The lawyer that I have consulted about this told me that I have the legal right to drive by these terminated customers homes to see if that certain provider is cleaning for them while the provider is still working for me. And if she is, then proceed with legal actions.

I don't like being sneaky! Yet at the same time, if this person is taking money from my family, shouldn't I do something about it? It's like stealing. And that is literally a few thousand dollars from my income for customers that a provider takes without my knowledge. I hate to pursue with legal actions if this person is being sly. But the lawyer said that I have to do it because it would be an example to all of my other workers to learn that policy is policy, and it's not written down just for the fun of it. What do you all think?
        • Re: Worker's Taking Your Business! What would you do?
          snipperred Scout

I would hire new contractors and terminate the ones reducing their availablity- without question. If you can be recompensated for these violations of contract- then do it. You should also develop closer relationships with your clients. Your policy should be designed to direct all business correpondence through you with the exception of your contractors delivering superior customer service on your behalf. Still, you can specify the interactions and influence that behavior early on by walking both clients and workers through the motions. You cannot afford to lose customers and you are being out competed by your own providers. Set your standards high so you can take ownership for the quality of service and work done. It should be directly attributed to you. Also, put your money where it counts. Rework your payout plans based on minimum requirements and a progressive series of bonuses based on customer satisfaction with your business. You should also reward increased savings and profitability where those contractors contribute. Finally, if you can get new business then go for it. You might want to factor in a supervisor who can visit onsite, inspect, be the customer service face of your business with the client, and who can fill in when you have changing workloads or provider availability.

DomainDiva Ranger
            Follow your attorneys advice. These workers signed an agreement. As soon as some start the 'don't fill the slot' thing you need to go into action immediately and get totally in their face about what they are doing and that you KNOW what they are doing.

I would also contact these so called 'clients' that seem to be dropping like flies and find out why.
              strategery238 Newbie
              Legal action can be quite expensive and a bad idea for all involved. This is dishonest for both your employee and your customers. You might be better off without either.

One solution may be to avoid having customers form long-term relationships with staff by rotating them and making their services more "commoditized."

Good luck!