Post a new topic
    40 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 12:22 AM by wordperfect

Do you Twitter?

jados89 Adventurer
      I found that having a Twitter account is a Great way to market Directly to your Target Audience and you can follow me at http://twitter.com/David_GBG
        • Re: Do you Twitter?
          Nataliescents Wayfarer

I signed up for Twitter a few weeks ago, I'm still trying to figure things out on it, any advice would be great. my name on twitter is Nataliescents please let me know other things I could do to make it more successful for me.
          Natalie
              jados89 Adventurer
              Well I am in the same boat as you when it comes to twitter I am trying different things, Just the last day or I starting to figure out some things but I don't if I am heading in the right direction.
                tropicalteaco Newbie
                Hello all new twitters,

Twitter is quite simple, it is a quick link to others where you can tell the world what you are doing. I post about 10 comments a day and I have about 300 people who follow me and see my posts. I will post about 3 nonsense posts like "watching a movie right now" and then every now and then throw in some marketing like "running Twitter sale 15% off at my site by using twitter15off promo code" The key is you are giving personality to your e-commerce which is very hard to do in cyber space....You should also check out http://www.twello.com/ and claim your twitter name. This is a growing quickly and you can find tons of people to follow. Also if you follow a person be sure to "direct message" them and they will be sure to follow you back. Don't forget people will stop reading your posts if it is all marketing or SPAM.....Please follow me at http://twitter.com/tropicalteaco and I will for sure follow you back!! I hope this is helpful and let me know if you have any other questions in the tweetville!!
                    johnpaint1 Wayfarer
                    But all in all, it makes you look like there is nothing you have to say other than what people are not really interested in. For real, does anyone what to know what someone is eating right now ,or if they have a headache,or if there kids are off to bed or not.I had a sister in-law that had a mental problem and this is exactly how she soumded to me when she called us over the phone, just random stange things that were suppose to be connected together.
                        johnpaint1 Wayfarer
                        I also want to say that I think a lot of websites are like this someone comes up with an idea and leaves it up to the visitor to figure out what it is about or what use it is.If you look at the site there is no explanation of what you can use it for it tring to play as though we all know what it is about.Crazy. So really I'm open to know what I can us this site for.networking? but how is this going to happen? Please let me know as if I were new to the networking thing.
                          tropicalteaco Newbie
                          Say what you will, however I drive about 100 visits per day from Twitter alone. Not sure if it makes sense or not....really dont care but I like it and it is fun to see what people and friends are up to!! If you do not like it than that is fine, you might like www.squidoo.com or www.thewozone.com or www.chatterbox.com I guess the point of social blogging is all about what you like to do, but I can tell you this that the day and age of online SPAMing is a dead practice and you will get a better response if you show some character!!!
                              johnpaint1 Wayfarer
                              Sorry:I reponded to you, but my frustration was with the site and not you.Glad it is working with you. I will try to work with it some more. good luck with your site.
                                  jados89 Adventurer
                                  One thing about Twitter is you can spur a conversation just like the one here about Do you Twitter? Companies like Pepsi could pose a question like What do you think of our New Label designs? And they can get instant feedback from their customers. I talk about Twitter Briefly in my article "Using Blogs and Social Networks to Grow Your Business Online" http://www.scribd.com/doc/8307438/Using-Blogs-and-Social-Networks-to-Grow-Your-Business-Online since I wrote the article I found the only way to figure out Twitter is to use it. and follow me @ http://twitter.com/David_GBG
                                      Xeequa Wayfarer

Yes I twitter - and I love it. I highly recommend using Twitter for business.

When you start with Twitter check out the twitter search (you will find it on the very bottom of their website) seek for topics you are interested (your profession, a specific company you work in, the name of your competitors, your region... just click on follow the twitterer.

Like in all social networks - you only get something out of it, if you put something into it. Add your comments, stay focused on informed opinions, without marketing BS. This will grow the number of people which follow you.

Twitter is one more easy and great tool in the big new social media space which connects you with your business friends, prospects,customers in realtime.

Feel free to follow me @maritaroebkes
                                Adventurer
                                tropicalteaco got some good points there.

I also have a twitter account but sometimes I forget to log in. Twitter is like a mini blog that instead of everyday updates you do it every hour or so.
                              johnpaint1 Wayfarer
                              Yeah me too. Looks cool like you can find people doing the same things you are doing at any givin time.Does anyone know what else is cool about the site.
                                MakinCandy4u Newbie
                                Good morning everyone and Happy Holidays.......I am new on here and I have to admit I know nothing about Twitter......can someone give me some information about it. Like most I am looking for ways to market and bring in more business. Thanks in advance for any help.
                                  WannaDevelop Wayfarer
                                  I just started recently... It is pretty addictive :)

Useful once you get the hang of things and find people to network with.

Best,
                                  Mike
                                    onos71 Newbie
                                    Sorry new here, Didn't know what Twitter was, so found their site, For everyone that asked here it is,
                                    http://twitter.com/
                                      MKTG.com.au Adventurer
                                      Like you guys, we are trying it but so far its a bit.... I dont know... I dont know how to use it so maybe that is the problem... Will wait for more responses here...
                                        nuSenO Wayfarer
                                        yes we started a few months ago and have built a client base. It is a great tool for our company www.flathealthystomach.com
                                          wealthsecret Newbie
                                          I have made many friends on Twitter and the followers keep growing. When is the last time you IM'd Lance Armstrong? This has been an excellent opportunity to network as well. See me at: http://twitter.com/RussSutton Look forward to your "Tweets" :) ==> Here is an example of a gift for my Tweet Friends: http://www.the-secret-to-wealth.com/twitter.html Take A Look! It is really FUN! :)
                                            jados89 Adventurer
                                            My Old Twitter Account got Hacked so you can now follow me at http://twitter.com/Jados89
                                                jados89 Adventurer
                                                I have access to my main account again @ http://twitter.com/David_GBG
                                                    Adventurer
                                                    I think the real question is how often do you twitter.

Because most people will sign up, post a couple of twits then they will forget about it.
                                                        johnpaint1 Wayfarer
                                                        I think the idea is good but they need to change some things to make it more responsive.I really don't have the time to waste with it.
                                                            wordperfect Scout

I am still a little ambivalent about this. I have thought about it as a business tool, mostly because of the hype it has received, but I can't help but wonder if it is mostly hype and people get sucked in to it.

I notice that this thread was begun last year when Tweeting was frenetic, I am just wondering if the heat and steam has subsided, what the general feeling is now.

I have looked at several sites that have the "follow me on Twitter" and quite honestly, as I think Johnthepainter said, it seems rather a waste of time, and, well, unprofessional. Comments like, I went to the movies, saw such and such, or am home now, eldest daughter has mumps may be great as a "social site" to keep freinds and family up to date, but for the life of me I can't see how it can be applied to a REAL business.

Most of the posts here seem to be just a plug for their twits, fair enough, what I am saying is I would really like to hear from someone who has a "MAINSTREAM" business and uses it in a professional, business like manner to communicate with their clients?

How do you do it and does it work?

I am open minded but my experience from other twits is less than positive.

studio 525 Adventurer
                                                                Twitter is a great marketing tool if you use it correctly. Don't SPAM. Provide valuable Tweets (Twitter posts) that other people will Re-Tweet to their Followers.
                                                                Build a big Following. I have over 4,000 and growing fast. When you do throw in a marketing message to drive your Followers to your website (1 out 10 messages), make it interesting, clever, creative and exciting. Then that message too will be Re-Tweeted magnifying your number of Followers and the number of people who go to your website or Sales Page.
                                                                Without a large base of Followers, you won't get much marketing action. So build that first. Only Followers can read your Tweets (messages) unless they are Re-Tweeted to their Followers. If you just send out marketing messages, people will UnFollow you quickly and you'll lose your base. You have to provide valuable content that your Followers are interested in and will Re-Tweet.
                                                                Throw in some creative ways to attract more Followers like creative contests.
                                                                A contest I recently created on Twitter got so much attention and drove so much traffic to my website I had to put it on hold until I have a chance to re-tool to take advantage of such a large influx of traffic.
                                                                So it definitly works if you use it correctly. Twitter has now become one of my primary sources of traffic.
                                                                I'm a convert.
                                                                If you want to see how I do it, you can see my Twitter page @studio525.

The contest won't start up again for at least a week or two though.

Best of luck and join the Twitterverse. The water's fine.

Peter
                                                                    wordperfect Scout

Hi Peter, thanks for that.

It is up there with some of the best ideas and suggestions I have read. Sometimes creativity is like a water pump, it just needs a few drops of outside source to get it prime it again!

I started this self same topic on 3 other forums and the results were either from raving Twitters but little substance, or from those who had been drawn to it but were totally lost and becoming negative. The majority the latter, so it seems even though there is a huge awareness of Business Twittering, few seem to know how to do it successfully.

Typical comments were:

*"I would also be interestd sic in this, as it is something I have been advised to do, but when I look at it I cannot understand how a young business could benefit from this type of low key chit chat.</st<br />Getting my head around facebook though, and I must recomment sic the CPC advertising, best value around! "+

Ahhhh, a rider here, the other forums are UK, Aust and NZ, maybe North America has more support or ?????

I need to read your ideas a few more time and chat with my partner, I have a few questions buzzing in my head, but for now, and a real time indication of where my knowledge is! EXACTLY how do i get to Twitter page @studio525.?

SiteSmart7 Wayfarer
                                                                        Twitter is a great search engine alternative to Google as it is real-time and it takes forever to rank well in Google. Twitter gives small businesses a better chance, so I'm all for it.
                                                                          studio 525 Adventurer
                                                                          Hi WordPerfect,
                                                                          Good to hear from you. I've enjoyed your posts.
                                                                          You can reach my Twitter profile page here:
                                                                          http://twitter.com/studio525
                                                                          That should do it.

Twitter is similar to all Social Networks in that you want to post things of value to your community and in this way build your community and your status in that community. It is easier to build a very large community very quickly in Twitter than in many other social media networks. I'm close to 5,000 Followers now. By tomorrow my guess is I'll be close to 5,400 or more. The larger the community, the larger it seems to grow exponentially. One good Tweet can be re-Tweeted many times to your Followers Followers. If that Tweet has a url to your website, well, you can imagine the amount of traffic you get. It's a lot. The other good thing about Twitter is that you can target who you Follow and thus who Follows you very specifically through keyword searches. That way you build a community with the same interests you have and interests in what you're selling.
                                                                          It takes a little time to learn how to Tweet so your community loves you and doesn't abandon you. You can't be too agressive in your marketing. You need to build trust. But, after a few mistakes, you learn. Each marketing Tweet you write needs to be very effective because you can only send it once. You can't repeat Tweets. You can write variations, but they need to vary a lot. If not, your Followers will see them as Spam and you'll lose them quick. You don't want to do that.

I'm putting together a free report on some of the techniques that have worked for me on Twitter. I'll be releasing it in a few weeks.

It's been great for me once I got the feel for it. And I've barely tapped the pontential. It's huge. You can see the results of your efforts instantly. And I mean within a few seconds of a Tweet. You can see the clicks in real time. Twitter happens very fast. As close to instant as you can get.

I'm also in the very beginning stages of creating some syncronicity with a new Facebook page for Studio 525. On this page I'm creating longer and more detailed posts on online marketing and social media marketing, sharing interesting videos and trying to build an online community where people can share their successes and challenges with online marketing and social media. This page is just starting, but when I combine it with the contest I anticipate getting a lot of traffic and new Fans. The other nice part of this is that it doesn't cost me a penny. There's a hilarious video on that page right now showing the importance of creativity and thinking outside the box for all marketers, especially Social Media marketers.
                                                                          The name of that Facebook page is: Online Marketing with Studio 525.
                                                                          The url for that page is: http://bit.ly/3uiZCS
                                                                          It's very long so I shorted it with bit.ly, a very common practice on Twitter.

Good luck and enjoy the pages. The best strategy for social media is to develop a hub with all the social media connected: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, blogs, website, social bookmarks, forums, etc. It seems kind of daunting at first. But it works. And the payoff can be very big. I'm already seeing that. And I've still got a ways to go.

Best,

Peter
                                                                          Peter Cutler
                                                                          Principal / Creative Director
                                                                          Studio 525
                                                                              wordperfect Scout

Hello Peter, thank you for that.

I also enjoy and read carefully your posts, both yours and Derek's Iwrite among others. What happened to the bi lateral Emails by the way, did they get going? I see you have updated your site, nice.

I understand what you are saying, but, and please don't take this as arrogance, traffic is not really my issue. Given the quality of our site, the fact we don't advertise, at all, and our size, we seem to get a reasonable amount of traffic, from many parts of the world, and, until the 2008 Olympic Games fiasco, business from it was reasonable. We are simply a 3 directors company with a small staff, so our dish gets full faster than some maybe!

However of course, we would like to grow, our problem is less traffic volumes than confirmed clients. We are still receiving enquiries, down a lot on pre 2007 for sure, but after a short dialogue we are losing them. Ok, there are many variables, from our size, competition to the economy, maybe....?

When we began back in about 2002 we were one of the few "Business Solution for Foreign Companies" in China, now, every man and his dog seems to do it, the "Brand Image" has been diluted and it is beginning to veer towards the dodgy, scammy cheating, SPAM end of the market. Everywhere you look today people from small private Email holders to businesses to forums such as this are complaining about the amount of SPAM that originates out of China. The TRUST is maybe not there any more, people are now more cautious of doing business "remotely" and we are now being hurt by this perhaps?

So, as things are quiet, we are trying to redefine and reposition ourselves, I am working on a new website and coming back to topic! am interested in seeing if and how Social Media can work for us, especially Twitter, to build that closeness and trust that we had with our earlier clients.

When and if the Chinese government ever un-block it! Which leads me to sadly report I can not open your Twitter site yet, but at last I have learnt something.

You mentioned you are putting together a free report. Hmmm, I am just wondering, given there is a huge pool of Twitter interested and curious yet also frustrated small business people in the cyber world, if there is an opportunity for you, or anyone else who reads what is rapidly becoming our private chat! to provide some sort of service, help, or what ever, much as Google et al spawned the SEO business?
                                                                koz4change Adventurer
                                                                Yes, Twitter is a great way to stay up to date with clients, friends, and family. Great marketing tool, very simple compared to other social networking sites. A prime example of how Web 2.0 is changing the way we communicate. Check out The BLÜ Group - Advertising & Marketing at http://twitter.com/TheBLUGroup.

Good Luck,

koz4change
                                                                  PitCrew Wayfarer
                                                                  How exactly do you use Twitter as a marketing tool? I plan to try a few social media applications this year, but I'd like to hear more about strategies and techniques for using them.

Best wishes,
                                                                  Adrienne
                                                                  http://pitcrewautocare.com/
                                                                  408-292-CREW(2739)
                                                                  910 N Bascom Ave
                                                                  San Jose, CA 95128
                                                                    RedTieMedia Adventurer
                                                                    Twitter is great for getting short amounts of information to the public and people who are searching for what you are tweeting about. My personal twitter is http://twitter.com/wolf1337

Red Tie Media's Twitter is http://twitter.com/redtiemedia
                                                                    Good information about Electric Cars and Electric Car Stocks is http://twitter.com/electricarstoc and http://twitter.com/electriccarco