Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 5:51 PM by LUCKIEST

Have small business and work fulltime

asante1103 Newbie
      I am the sole owner of a small 2 year old janitorial services company. I started out under capitalized and have struggled financially from the beggining. However, I do have customers (mostly residential) which use my service according to what the economy is doing. In tough times my service is seen as a luxury item and the first thing to be eliminated on the budget. The same with my commercial accounts they are cutting back on the frequency of their cleanings. I have been considering going back to work full-time with my Business Administration/Marketing Degree to give me a reliable income stream. I do not want to give up on my dream as it is one of the only things that I am passionate about and truly to love. How can I do both.
        • Re: Have small business and work fulltime
          NoBullFunding Scout
          If you need the income, I think getting a full time job with benefits makes sense, meanwhile you can continue to run the business on the side so you don't need to close it all together. If it's too much for you to handle, you could always hire someone to help you out. Of course, you'll be giving up some income but at least you will be able to keep the client. Especially since you say you've been struggling financially, getting a full time job seems like the way to go.

Good luck!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            logikonline Newbie
            How much overhead does it take to manage the service? Have you thought of automating most of the service/customer interaction with a website geared towards service industry?

If you need a person fulltime to manage the service, then I suggest outsourcing to an India callcenter for basic call routing.

If you automate the service via a website (my suggestion), then for an upfront cost - you can scale it larger when times get better.

In a recession, it is never unwise to ensure a steady income by going back to work, plus it may open up new avenues. (my two cents)

regards,
            Dave
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Have small business and work full time, Welcome

*As NoBull said "*If you need the income, I think getting a full time job with benefits
              makes sense, meanwhile you can continue to run the business on the side
              so you don't need to close it all together."

It was nice talking to you and your idea of offering to help a senior citizen or handicap for FREE is a great idea.
              Hopefully the newspaper will pick up on the idea and run a story.

Good luck, LUCKIEST