Post a new topic
    23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 1:11 PM by johnnyjoy

Ideas for Teens to make money

EagleEye Adventurer
      I am looking for ideas for ways for my 3 teenagers to make some money. I know they can get a job at McDonalds, but they are more interested in going a more entrepreneurial direction. Anyone have any ideas? They are a 16yog who is very intelligent and enjoys the outdoors. And my 2 teenage sons who are 16 and 18.

Thanks for any ideas you can offer!

EagleEye
      http://blitzlocal.com
      http://avivadirectory.com
        • Re: Ideas for Teens to make money
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Ideas for Teens to make money,

Listen to your children. If as you say they are more entrepreneur in nature, they will have the ideas.

Listen to what they have to say. also working at Mc D or any other local job is a great way for them to get a business education as to what they want to do, what they are capable of.

LUCKIEST
              EagleEye Adventurer
              Well, I was a manager at McDonalds for almost 3 years and not too long ago. I really don't want my teens around the influences they would encounter there and I can pretty much clue them in as far as what they will learn there. They have all expressed an interest in being business owners. We are brainstorming ideas. Also, we are trying to decide if they should start individual businesses or find something they can do together?

I have considered the following:

Pooper Scooper Biz
              Door Hanger Biz
              Lawn Mowing/WeedEating in the summer
              Washing out people's outdoor trash cans
              Washing windows

My boys actually want to learn something computer related as well, but that will take some time. My oldest is interested in programming and game development and my younger son is interested in Internet advertising and SEO type work.
                  puzzleman Tracker
                  I know this is a little late for this season but a job that I created for myself was putting up peoples holiday lights and yard ornaments. a way to expand it, is to follow up with your customers for different holiday times such as, Valentines, St Patricks, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Halloween, etc. There are numerous holidays and people would like to do something but do not have the vision to see what they could do and/or have the time to do it. As far as the computer kids, they could help by creating flyers, sending emails, sending thank you notes, creating lights that go with music, etc.

Jim
                      EagleEye Adventurer
                      That is a great idea. I will have to keep it in mind! thanks!
                          Bridge Navigator
                          "Game Tester", "programmer", etc. all sounds nice but is probably a better long-term career goal rather than a teenage job.

My brother and I did well as teenagers by making business cards (on a type writer, yes it was years ago) and passing them out to neighbors, We advertised car washing and lawn mowing.

In a short amount of time we had "regular" clients and had all the work we could handle.

Personally, the car washing was easier, quicker, and for more cash. We lived in AZ so there were not many lawns to mow - only weeds to pick in the hot sun (yuk).

I can not fine a neighbor kid to mow my lawn now and I would gladly pay. I live in FL and in our subdivision almost everyone has a "lawn service" and pays $40-70.month!

I mow my own lawn because $50/month is just too much but no teenager in our neighborhood seems to want the work.

You daughter could advertise pet sitting/watching/walking and with he holidays, I am sure she could find some clients. She could also call local veterinarians and animal shelters about work.

If your boys drive, the could also approach car lots about being a "lot attendant". I did this in high school. In general, you repark the cars, clean them up before they are picked up by customers, run errands for the sales managers, etc. I was able to work 40hrs/week because it was 3-9pm during the week + 20 hours on Sat/Sun and I was still off early enough to enjoy Fri/Sat night. As a side benefit, I bought a trade in at a great price $450 for a 68 Mustang (it barley ran and was pretty banged up).
                    SOHOguru Wayfarer
                    EagleEye - sure wish a site we are working on was finished and up right now ;-) Look for the launch of www.kidentrepreneurs.com in mid 2009.

That aside (since it is not relevant right Now), I did notice that you mentioned one of your son's is interested in the outdoors.

You can build a website about Fishing for Teens, and let him blog, run affiliate sales for fishing clothing and equipment, and market Google Adsense. If it isn't fishing, and perhaps Hiking - same thing. Get a domain perhaps like TeenHikerZone.com or something like that and build affiliate programs and Google Adsense into the page and he can blog, run a bulleting board, post the "safest hiking trails" list, research and post teen hiking clubs....etc.

One small drawback on affiliate payouts is the requirement to be 18 - but you can help them through that "technicality" till they are 18. Base web sites on what the other two are truly interested in and follow the same type of formula.

Cheers!
                    karen
                        EagleEye Adventurer
                        That is an idea. It is actually my 16yo daughter that is interested in the outdoors. She says she could never take a job where she is stuck sitting down or at a computer or indoors all day. She has horses, dogs, cats, rabbits and a gecko so she loves animals. She could probably handle a blog of some type because that would not tie her down all the time. She homeschools and is getting ready to start earning her college degree and high school diploma simultaneously next semester so she needs time for her studies. She has been testing college level for almost 3 years so we decided it was really a waste to not earn both together. ;) She is quite independent and enjoys learning new things. Thanks for the idea. I iwsh that new site was up too.. be sure and let me know when it is!

EagleEye
                        http://www.blitzlocal.com
                        http://www.avivadirectory.com
                          Elite1 Adventurer
                          Perhaps your daughter could start a business caring for animals for others in your community. There is exercising (dog walking, etc.), grooming, or feeding and watering the animals while the owners are away. And, of course, let's not leave out cleaning up after them. I'd pay to have someone clean up the manure in our corrals.

Start small. Many times, a good business starts with one or two customers. If she does a good job, her business will grow quickly with referrals.

Also, have her make business cards. This can be accomplished without a lot of money by purchasing blank cards and creating your own on your computer. This will impress potential customers and show that she is serious.

Hope this helps. What are the boys interested in?

Tanya
                          Elite Financial Services, LLC
                              EagleEye Adventurer
                              Hi Tanya,

Thanks for the ideas! I had not thought about making them business cards right off the bat and that is a wonderful idea. The boys would like to do game testing. They love video games. LOL I don't mind them doing game testing, but they need to raise the funds to buy all the different types of gaming systems so they are likely to get more games to test. They also need to make more money than game testing will likely net in the beginning so they can buy themselves cars, insurance, etc. I have 7 kids, so I have had to let my kids know they will ALL have to raise the funds necessary to get their first car and pay for insurance. That may sound harsh, but I am not rich and I cannot do for one or two kids and not for the others as this would not be fair. So, when it comes to things like cars and cell phones with ongoing expenses.. well they have been told they are on their own. ;) To be truthful, I am leaning toward the boys doing yard work for people, whether that entails scooping poop, power washing exteriors, cleaning trash cans, washing windows, mowing lawns, etc. I am open to other ideas as well. This forum has been great to offer ideas and inspire me to think of new ideas and ways of executing them. Thank you so much!
                                  Elite1 Adventurer

EagleEye,

Generally, I believe if children are "willing" to work they can get work. They must be willing to do tedious chores. Our children have gone to local privately owned merchants and let them know that they are willing to do any chore thrown at them. They have cleaned up weeds and bathrooms, painted, hauled off trash, and bagged ice. If they are willing to work. There is always something that needs to be done and the children are respected for their desire to work.

My daughter baked and sold pies for the Fourth of July. She took the orders, then purchased the ingredients, and delivered in a timely fashion. She made an $80 profit. She was very proud. It started with our friends and has expanded since. The holidays are here. Now she can expand her products to cookies, candies, breads, etc.

Tanya

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    Elite1 Adventurer
                                    Hello EagleEye,

BTW...my son would like to "test" video games too. However; I am not aware of a very big market in that field of expertise.

Tanya
                                golfheaven Adventurer
                                I would say start a local neighbor hood news/info sheet for once a week/month your daughter could do outside sales and subscriptions. The boys could do writing and pasting on computers. You will be surprised on how much neighbor's are willing to talk (or gossip) about neighborhood.
                                  billea Newbie
                                  Something that might make them money...in this day and age of "green", it's extremely inconvenient to get rid of items like old gas cans, house paint, etc.

If they could locate a place that does accept these items, they could go door-to-door and offer to pick up these kind of items on the spot. Provided the place they find handles things the right way, they could put a "Green/Environmental" spin on the sales pitch.

Personally, I'd hand someone $20 to haul off the 10 or so old house paint cans in my garage if they showed up and asked.
                                    SOHOguru Wayfarer
                                    It's amazing what i learn from working on sites that previously - I had no knowledge about. I've been doing work for ProCirCuitProducts.com and they sell new batteries, testers and accessories, so I've had to do a lot of research concerning battery products.

Of course, anything 'green' these days will garner support, however, handling hazardous materials under a 'business' environment would probably carry local, state and federal regulations.

Don't mean to be a party-pooper here; it's a fine idea. Just look up what might be required. I know a 16 year old in North Carolina would not be able to work for someone as an employee if required to handle battery products, particularly if they were potentially damaged or had acid corrosion exposure around the battery.
                                      jados89 Adventurer
                                      I am 19 and I am Independent Representative for a company called GBG, it is a Great Business Opportunity for anyone who looking for Great Business Opportunity and for details on GBG you can check out http://superliquidvitamin.com and http://drinkliquidvitamins.info. Depending on the laws in your state for the 16 yo he may need a business partner that is 18 or older but this perfect business opportunity for anyone from any background even those who have a limited business experience. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at david@drinkliquidvitamins.info

David Jados | Independent GBG Representative
                                      http://superliquidvitamin.com
                                      david@drinkliquidvitamins.info
                                        val_cards Scout
                                        When I was a teenager I made handpainted t-shirts and sold them to small boutiques in Fire Island, the Hamptons and NYC. I thoroughly enjoyed talking with the buyers and I loved seeing my stuff in the windows. I remember learning a valuable lesson. This one boutique owner freaked out when her next door neighbor also a boutique carried the same T-shirts in her store. Supposedly there's a law that prohibits a company from selling an item within a certain radius of another store. I learned other valuable lessons as well. I learned about how to handle shopkeepers when they neglect to pay on time. But mostly there was nothing more delightful than seeing folks in the Hamptons and Fire Island wear my T-Shirts.
                                          jones9985 Newbie
                                          Hello to all this is Jones. making money is a very simple aspect. As now a days there are so many online works available it is so easy for the Teens to make money by just spending only a maximum of 2 hours which is simply possible. I hope they will well concentatre on this.
                                          _________
                                          Jones

Make Money
                                              herculestex1 Wayfarer
                                              SOOOO MANY GREAT IDEAS HERE!!!
                                              I dated this girl in, highschool, who had 2 brothers. they did the lawn care business........their peers laughed at them cuz they were mowing lawns......the money they made....OMG they were the kids that drove nice cars that they payed for themselves..........anyways, they did lawns, trimmings, and basic clean up. in the winter time they shoveled snow and put up lights........if only "go green" was in like it is now, that is an awesome idea. they went all out, business cards from vistaprint.com, and everything. they started first using daddy's lawn mower, then they bought another, then a trailer......it went on and on. very successfull venture i must say.
                                                  herculestex1 Wayfarer
                                                  Delivering newspapers is great and they can do it year round. it not only teaches responsibility, waking up early everyday 7days a week it will keep them out of trouble, from those late night activities. my cousin at 17 worked his moms paper rout and made 1000 a month for 2 hrs of early morning work. he was responsible for buying his paper supplies and the office handled all the money activities. thinking about it, i my might look into it myself for that extra cash..........
                                                johnnyjoy Wayfarer
                                                Hello My dear friend i would like to advise the Teens how to start a successful Home Based Business
                                                These are the 5 proven principles to success
                                                1 Find prospects
                                                2 Qualify those prospects
                                                3 Make a powerful presentation
                                                4 Professional follow up using Autoresponder
                                                5 Duplicate your success
                                                On this site they will teach,train,mentor and sponsor you using
                                                Attracting Marketing
                                                http://johnnyjoy.marketingmerge.com