Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 12:47 AM by DussaultPR

Breath Testers USA

Milkage Newbie
      I found out about this franchise while sifting through Google results for franchising oportunities: http://www.breathtestersusa.com

Was just wondering if anyone had looked into this at all. Seems like a good deal on the surface, but they dont really tell you what you get for your $13,000 buy in. I was thinking about requesting more information from them, but I really dont want to be hounded with telephone calls and stuff if I decide its not my cup of tea. So, anyone have more information on this?
        • Re: Breath Testers USA
          NoBullFunding Scout
          I don't know anything about them, but it appears that they are selling a breathalzer machine for $13K. The odd thing is that the site doesn't really explain how it works, or why someone would pay $1 or $2 to use it. I like the idea of a person who is so drunk that they shouldn't be driving, yet sober enough to stop at one of these machine's and pay a few bucks to check. Kind of a silly idea, in my opinion.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Milkage Newbie
              That was kinda my take on it as well. However, it almost looks like, for your $13K, you get 5 machines, which puts it a little closer to an appropriate price. They certainly don't give out a ton of information... As far as finding people to use it, I think people would use it... They would make a game out of it. However, I could also see someone holding you liable in some way when someone wants to keep drinking to see what their BAC is after 1, 5, 10, 15, etc. drinks, and dies from alcohol poisoning, or kills someone in a crash...

The more I look at it, the worse it sounds.
                  NoBullFunding Scout
                  Not to mention the liability of someone checking their BAC, it telling them that they are ok to drive, then they get in their car and either get into an accident or getting a DWI. I think a better idea would be to offer it as a free service and get sponsors or something.
                Lighthouse24 Ranger
                The disposable breath test devices that many police forces use can be bought by consumers for less than $2 each. If there was a viable market for placing breathalyzer machiness in local bars as a vending operation, it seems like it would be more profitable to buy disposable testers in bulk and wholesale those to the same bars (there'd be a lower investment, a comparable unit retail price and overall profit margin, no liability, no vandalism, and no route/vending to mess with).
                  DussaultPR Newbie
                  I would seriously worry about the liability issue here. If someone gets pulled over and loses their licensee after you're machine said it was ok for them to drive, you will have one angry customer looking for revenge.

I don't even want to image what type litigation you would be facing if someone in the same instance killed someone after your machine cleared them.

Another question that comes to mind is do most bar owners want a breathalyser machine located in their establishment. If they did most bars would have one all ready, since they've been around for quite a while. Something must be holding them back, and it's likely the liability issue.

Good luck with whatever direction you take.

Robert

Mailbag Media

Become a partner in a new online media trading service that is about to launch nationwide!
                  http://www.mailbagmedia.com/partners/welcome.htm