Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2008 4:59 AM by intechspecial

startin a group home for mentally ill young adults

hope50 Newbie

Need help or advice on were can I found information on how to start group home business for mentally ill including federal regulations, capital, necessary forms. I live in NY but will consider moving to another state if that means less legislative obstacles and less capital needed.
      Does anyone know about any government grants available for group homes?
      Any help would be much appreciated.
      Lena
        • Re: startin a group home for mentally ill young adults
          LUCKIEST Guide
          starting a group home, Welcome

Who are you. Go to Members page and share some info.

You are looking for help and my best suggestion would be to go to SCORE on line.
          SCORE is FREE and you should be able to find a SCORE Counselor or two who
          have the backgrounds you are looking for.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            intechspecial Ranger
            hope50

You are on an extremely difficult path to achieve success in this venue. You will need alot of the same qualifcations, certifications, and other state and federally approved documentation that you would need to open a nursing home.

Do you have any experience with health care?

Welcome to the community, please do keep us informed on how your venture is doing.

Thanks, Mike
                hope50 Newbie

Thank you for your response.
                I realize that it won't be easy. I am a physical therapist and I have my own consulting company. However the reason behind my decision to start the group home business is strictly personal. My daughter was diagnosed with mental illness and it's been pretty tough on me and my family. I think that if anything good should come from this difficult situation, it might be my and my husband's understanding what other families are going through combined with my years of experience managing a department in the Home care agency materialized in a safe home for many young people with the same challenges my daughter is facing.
                I am very hopeful to find people who successfully accomplished this task and will share their experiences.
                Thanks again and I promise to keep you posted.
                Lena
                    intechspecial Ranger
                    Thank you extremely for your post, as more family members need to get involved on a higher level when someone they love is diagnosed with this horrible disease.

I am as well diagnosed with severe mental illness, and through the grace of God, I have been able to accomplish a few things in spite of it.

I always welcome the opportunity to help anyone in need, and if there is anything that I can do to help your business, please do not hesitate to ask.

For the most part my business focuses on volunteer development, but I have been known to pick up a paying client or two from time to time.

Hang in their, and know that you are not alone.

Mike
                        intechspecial Ranger
                        Sorry, I was so excited to post, considering this is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, I forgot to tell you how I can help.

I volunteer to develop html websites for any person or business that does not have the ability to pay.

5-8 pages will be developed absolutely free. The only requirement I have is that you show evidence of giving back to society or a cause, or people. This could be as simple as you donate $0.50 to an organization on occasion, or you go out of your way to do something nice for someone once a year.

My mental illness has taken so much from me, and I feel from society as well, this is why I decided to develop free sites. Also, I cannot always handle the stress caused by long business hours, so this give me a viable solution to feel like my business is productive.

Well, I am getting of topic, and I might upset some other community members for posting so much here in this way.

All of my Best goes to you and your family.

Mike