Post a new topic
    28 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 12:36 PM by DianaScents

What are you thankful for?

Howard Adventurer

Every time I turn on the news...it is depressing. I am hoping that people in this community can give us all a boost of optimism. Hey, Thanksgiving is around the corner. So what are you thankful for?
        • Re: What are you thankful for?
          Navigator
          I'm thankful that i'm still above the notch, and not slipping into old habits that ultimatly harm my life. I've changed my life within a year, went from being a nobody to helping businesses with their problems. Overall, I'm thankful for life now.

I'll agree: The news is way too depressing.. Financial ruin, war, poverty... It's all we hear about. Why not have more news stories about puppies or sunshine or something? Which I'll retract sunshine, they'll find a way to turn it around like the sun is plotting to supernova any moment now.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            What are you thankful for?

I am thankful that I am alive, have a wife, children, and grandchildren
            and we are all well. Happy Thanksgiving

• LUCKIEST*
              intechspecial Ranger
              I am just thankful to be alive.
                val_cards Scout
                We should give thanks to Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee, creator of the first web site on the internet. http://www.theprinceclub.com
                  val_cards Scout
                  "The dedicated life is the life worth living. You must give with your whole heart."
                      intechspecial Ranger

Another thing I am thankful for is the ability to be a part of a community where even though most disagree with my views. I can still post them.

Some countries would not allow this.

Great county we live in?
                        intechspecial Ranger
                        {frequency:reference:c0-e7, currentlyExecuting:reference:c0-e8, timer:reference:c0-e9}

I have no idea why this message just popped up.

It said" recover old version of post"

I clicked on yes and the following wording came up: {frequency:reference:c0-e7, currentlyExecuting:reference:c0-e8, timer:reference:c0-e9}

I had already posted so I do not know why it would post this.

I almost think the SBOC has a keystroke logger stored within a java script in the broswer.
                        Howard Adventurer
                        Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
                          Tracker

Like many of you I'm thankful for many things, but most of all for my family. But this being a business forum I have to add this observation:

A few Sunday's ago, the DilbertTM cartoon for that day struck me (as always) how "dead-on" Scott Adams is about corporate life's funny but sad "truths". Maybe you saw this cartoon as well. The cartoon shows Dilbert's co-workers sympathizing with him about him having a crappy boss. One person offers to refer him to a psychiatrist who can prescribe for him a pill that will make him feel "self-employed". Us business owners, the "self-employed" know that we have our own worries and things to contend with but few of us probably would want to go back to working for someone else. And the opportunities that I have as a business person are something else that I am thankful for.

But I do remember what it was like working for someone else and what it was like when I left my corporate career to run my own businesses. I wish it had been as easy as taking a pill. Nobody had one to give me though. I had to figure out things on my own, and with the help of a lot of reading and study, time, effort and trial and error, I learned how to create an opportunity that became my exit from working for someone else. I worked extra-hours on side jobs; side businesses and projects to make extra money ... used my credit cards to bankroll my start-ups ... developed contacts and earned the respect of people who could become financial partners to help me buy other businesses. I worked my butt off to make things happen. No magic pill, no short cuts ... just a lot of often-painful experience. As Kipling writes ... "I've met with triumph and disaster" ... and learned from both.

Right now times are tough, for a lot of people and businesses big and small in America. But we, the people, are tough ... I think we're tougher than the times and things will get back on track. Unfortunately, there is no "magic pill". As a nation we have to focus on doing the right things at the right time, when they are needed to be done; we have to put forth a smart, well-thought out plan to consistently execute and know that the level and quality of effort and determination we have exhibited in other tough times ... can "cure" a lot of things.

Those are also the basic ingredients for success that individuals can use, that for many (and I'm blessed to be one) has led to successful self-employment.

You can do this too. What I (and many others) have done to become successfully self-employed is not impossible. And that this is so, is another reason for me to be thankful.

Here are a few things for you to think about and to follow (yes, I know they seem obvious and common sense but trust me ... it's doing the common sense things that get you to where you want to go):

Figure out what it is that you want to do (what type of business you want to be in, to start or buy) that will make you happiest and meet your financial goals.
                          Study and prepare yourself to become self-employed while you still are working and bringing in a paycheck.
                          Put in the effort to create a detailed plan and timetable so that you have a clear objective and timeframe for accomplishing the steps needed to get you to where you want to go.
                          Execute your plan, make any adjustments needed as you go, do not stop, make every day count towards accomplishing some part, no matter how small, that moves you closer to your goal.
                          Never stop learning and expanding on who you are and what you can do.

Remember ... knowledge, preparation, good planning, execution (getting thing done) and personal determination are what will help you change virtually any situation in your life.

I hope that each and every member of the SBOC community had a great and wonderful Thanksgiving and wish them all the best this holiday season.

Dennis Lowery
                          Adducent, Inc.
                            DianaScents Newbie
                            I am thankful for my family, and friends. God has truely blessed me

www.DianaScents.Scentsy.us