Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 1:43 AM by dougwoy1

Opening a package store

129Package Newbie
      The county I live in recently voted on beer and wine sales. I am wanting to open a package store soon.

I am looking into a 1250 sq ft location with highway frontage about 2 miles inside the county line. I am meeting with the beer retailer after the Thanksgiving holidays and meeting with bank Tuesday and also the building owner Tuesday.

I would like ANY insights, tips, information, etc that could help me.

Thanks in advance.
        • Re: Opening a package store
          Navigator
          Congratulations on looking into doing business for yourself. Before you do anything, properly secure your business plan and make sure you have everything down. Leave no rock unturned in this! Have all of your suppliers phone numbers written down, and research how much it costs per shipment. Also, do you require licensing in your state? I know package stores here are required to display an alcohol permit.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Opening a package store, Welcome and Good Luck

You need a Lawyer, An Accountant and a Business Plan

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE

LUCKIEST
              intechspecial Ranger

Welcome to the community and I wish you the best in your start up venture.

It seems that you seem to have a firm grasp on what you are doing, I just have a question or two.

Do you have a business plan?

If yes, how indepth is your marketing strategy as well as your break even analysis?
                A_Ellicott Adventurer
                You should very carefully check into zoning laws and other laws about where alcohol can be sold. The county I live in allows alcohol sales. However, there are a multitude of laws that govern where these stores can locate. These laws vary greatly by whatever government has jurisdiction over the store. For example, many communities prohibit these stores within certain distances of schools, churches, etc. Some communities allow alcohol sales in grocery stores and restaurants but ban stores that only sell it.

Assume nothing. I know of a man that purchased a property for a convenience store after being told by the city that alcohol sales were allowed there. When he went to get his liquor license he was told that the first city employee had made a mistake and that alcohol could not be sold there due to the location of a church down the street. Not only did the business fail, but to this day the store sits empty.

Did you get any beneficial info fro this post?