Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2008 1:26 PM by intechspecial

Positive Reinforcement?

intechspecial Ranger
      So you are new to a community, and you are fragile when it comes to your understanding of business and such.

You have dreams and aspirations, but are not sure if they will work or not.

You stop into the community, and post your idea, and it is met with an overwhelimingly bad response.

Your idea was immature at best, but you were really just trying to reach out to the business world, and did not desire the response of a military drill sargeant trying to form an army.

Overwhelmed and distraught, you realize you are a failure, and do not return to this community.

From that day forward you remember the community as being forcefull and direct and insensitve to anything but their own needs and views.

Would it not help that community to open its doors to you with encouragement? What if you might have some ideas that will actually work?
        • Re: Positive Reinforcement?
          NoBullFunding Scout

I see your point Intech. My only thought is that sometimes by discouraging someone from making a bad decision, you are really doing them a favor. These days, I spend my days working on loan deferments (reduced payment requests) for small businesses who get in over their heads. In many cases, they would have been better of if there were told NO at the very beginning. I agree that we don't need to be mean about it, but an honest assessment up front can save thousands of dollars on the back end. Besides, if someone abandons an idea based on some message board feedback, then I'd say the person wasn't all that serious to begin with.
            Navigator
            It's often misconstrued as being critical, but advising against a bad idea always sounds like you're out to get them, to say the least. It's a bad idea to sugar-coat things if it's blatantly detremental to the business owner, and I hate to put things in these terms, but a business owner will face many criticisms. If they're truly adamant about what they're planning, then they'll do it regardless. I haven't seen this 'Military Drill Sargeant' treatment, then again, I am always open to harsh criticism.
                intechspecial Ranger
                These are extremely valid points, and I agree 100%.

What if this was just a 74 year old lady, trying to sale her collection of quilts?

Does she really need the same level of advice as a 30-something year old man who plans on being the next Bill Gates/Donald Trump?
                    Navigator
                    I saw a commercial that made me think, and it's slogan went like this:

"Maybe instead of questioning the advice, you should question who's giving the advice"

I'll agree that peoples business models may clash and cause conflict, but that's with any business advice. You take on the knowledge of your surrounding peers, EG: We're learning from each other, partly because we're generally all on the same page. I wouldn't turn down giving advice to a 74 year old who's trying to sell quilts, but I would tell her that I'm usually used to giving advice to businessmen
                        intechspecial Ranger

This is true.

My main point is that you have to be considerate of the indiviudal, and their needs. and cannot treat them all the same.

Maybe some people do not even want advice. Maybe they are just here to meet other business owners.

They come into the community only to share their idea. They might have asked for feedback, but their real point of being here is to be a part of a community.

Suddenly they are bombarded with a ton of feedback from people that seem to talk a good game, but in the actual perspective of things, the work they display is less then your own companies work.

To ad more insult to injury, they go into every single part of the website, and claim they are an expert in that specific area, forever backlashing anyone they feel will fail.

Since you are able to point out specifically how they are wrong, you receive more backlash, yet all the time they try to make you look like the real idiot, although they cannot respound to direct quetions about there credentials.

Because they are the biggest part of the leaders of the community, their opinion about the individual that doubts their credentials is offered to everyone, and no one wants to be bullied by the popular crowd.
                            Navigator
                            On the topic of the popular crowd: It's the syndrome I coined earlier as 'the cool kids table' - it seems to happen everywhere, if you look around. People look up to seniority and deem that if they're in such a position, they did great things to get there. I try to avoid being cocky or critical of anyone, we're all on the level. The world seems full of people willing to tell you how you're going wrong and how they would fix it.
                                intechspecial Ranger
                                This is completely true.

I agree that you should never be cocky or critical of anyone.

Unless the popular crowd continues to be critical and cocky towards you.

At some point you have to start placing out the facts on the table, so that the entire school can formulate their opinion on factual evidence and not public opinion.

It is easy to persuade public opinion if you just offer an idea about someone or something. If you are passionate enough about the opinion you offer, and if the idea is extremely controversial, this persuasion comes with relative ease.

Once again, you are pointing out the facts, while others base the view they offer as being justified.
                              intechspecial Ranger
                              So yes I questioned who was giving the advice, as I did not see any real evidence of their advice being professional other then receiving a response that says "you better be careful, I have contacts, and I know people".

They cannot respond to a simple question.

A question like: "What successful business have you owned?" Or......"What successful business owner have you coached?"

These very questions makes it so that you are hit at an even higher level of the same negativity, although they still have not validated their credentials.