Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2008 8:13 PM by SOHOguru

How do I generate new sales for my construction company?

unclefester Wayfarer
      About ten years ago I moved out to the sticks, about 45 miles from my target customer area. I did this for scenery and the ability to get away from loud noise of the city. I gladly commute every day to the job sites, distance is not a issue to me, but it seems to be to my customers. They act like they are putting me out if they ask me to come and work on their home. That is not the case. Slowly my customer base is shrinking and I need to get the numbers back up. I am looking for any solutions or ideas. By the way no customers ever have come to my place of business or residence, I always go to them, it is part of being a contractor. I should also add that I have recently added a web site for my company, it just needs to have people pointed to it to work, I think?

Thanks for the help.

Tim
      http://www.eyreandcompany.com - for those that want to look and make suggestions
        • Re: How do I generate new sales for my construction company?
          MktgPwr Newbie
          I visited your site and left a comment for you but I don't know if it made it through to you or not. Would you mind answering a few questions that would assist me in offering you some thoughts?

How big is the community you do your work in?
          Is the address on your business cards and website your home address?
          You show on your site you do home and commercial, do you have a specialty or an area you like better than another?
          Do you geneal or do all the work? If you sub out, are the subs local?
          When you have a job going, are you in that community throughout the day?

This will get us started. Look forward to hearing back from you and we can go from there.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              borrowedtime Adventurer
              I'm not sure if this would interest you but I have many businesses that added this incentive to drive customers in, rewards, gifts, giveaways. Take a look at this it might help you. www.coastalincentives.com/cyounger04. If ANY business needs this contact me. Also call toll free 1-888-833-1763 ext 301. By doing both you will have a great view why this works so well. To your continued suscess.
                unclefester Wayfarer
                MktgPwr

Yes, I did get your email, Thank you.

We work in Portland, Oregon and the surrounding metro area, I don't know how many people in total, but it is a large city.

Yes, the address on my business cards and on the web site are my home address, I have 50 acres, 9000 Sq Ft warehouse, and a 900 Sq Ft Wood working shop. Since I never have customers come to my office / home I have never felt the need to provide a store front. Do you think that is a mistake?

Yes we do have a Specialty, It would be Drywall and Acoustical ceilings, that was what I grew up doing. It was not untill 1990 that I began doing general contracting trade, or doing it all so to speak.

We do general, the local subs are typically Electrical, Plumbing, and Concrete, most of the time we try to keep the rest in house.

Yes, when we have a job going we are in the community through out the day. I have advertising on all of our rigs, three in total. I have heard from various people that the signage is working and people are seeing that form advertising.

Tim
                LUCKIEST Guide
                How do I generate new sales, Welcome Tim

It sounds like you are making all the right moves, From advertising on your trucks
                to adding a web site. You have received good answers so far. Hope that this can help.

It sounds like you need a Marketing Plan. Do you know about SCORE??. SCORE is FREE
                and can help you with the Marketing Plan both in person and online.

One of my favorite ideas is to sponser a local baseball team (in the spring).
                All the boys and girls are running around town wearing your name on their shirts.

I have more ideas. Good luck, LUCKIEST

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  artforart Wayfarer
                  *Unclefester: I too left a comment on your website, and I can identify with moving to a rural area but quite frankly I can see no problem with a 45 mile commute. However, looseing contact with customers should be a top priority and depending on website alone may not be the answer. I have read many good suggestions given to you here online, they may not be what you want to hear, but in the construction business it is not creative art, people know what to expect, excelence in workmanship goes a long way in telling the community what you can do. Word of mouth has always been the best tool a business can have. Answer the question, why did I move out in the rural area, and how can I generate business where I am. Who knows, you might create a housing development! Keep me posted on your progress. artforart *
                    dclgraphics Wayfarer

I think using a postcards, flyers, e-mail and other smaller format media to advertise to drive people to your website where they can learn and where you can tell them much more about you.

Your website should be the core of your advertising program, the key to sucess by keeping your name in front of your customers, and potential customers.

David C. Lopez
                    www.dclgraphics.com
                      SOHOguru Wayfarer
                      Think WAY outside the box.

Consider this. Call your local newspaper, radio station or television station. Ask to speak to the editor or manager in charge of human interest stories.

Tell them you want to know what it takes to get a story out about your construction company wanting to start up a letter writing campaign to Ty Pennington of the Home Makeovers show (ABC) because you want to be the contractor they work with on a Portland Oregon Home Makeover project. Your story for the media would involve appealing to your local constituents (the general public) that you need their help to write to the show and get them to pick you to be the contractor when / if the show would come to Portland.

Not only would this be very effective in your community - it would be FREE.

Cheers!
                      Karen
                        SOHOguru Wayfarer
                        I thought I would chime in again and mention that anything you do, you should put a press release out, targeted to the geographical area that you serve. If you do consider something like the "call for a writing campaign" idea, you should issue a press release and post it to your website. Post *everything *to your website. Use it often.

Cheers,
                        Karen