Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 4:00 PM by Christy09

Wordpress rock!

Navigator
      If any of you use WordPress as the foundation for your small business website, please chime in!
      We use it and even add features like mail (mailpress) and photo sharing. It's amazing what you can do with wordpress
      and it costs you nothing (except for a little time).
        • Re: Wordpress rock!
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          Yes, I use WordPress, but it's not the "foundation" for any of my websites. Specifically, it's the tool I use to interact with readers, students, and seminar participants (so the link to it is within the book, course, or program website).

You're exactly right -- piece of cake to set-up and use. One of the more beneficial "free" things out there!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            intechspecial Ranger
            I would have to agree that WordPress is a great open source solution. With a good designer, it can look simply stunning.

Microsoft has made a huge step into the Open Source market, and has been able to help companies generate some pretty intense products as well.

I have used WordPress in the past, and this is good for small business on a budget. You are of course limited to its features and such, and for medium and big business it might not be the best choice.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Navigator
                Mike and Lighhouse--

It's surprising how many sites are wordpress, but don't actually look like it.
                For example, here are a few that we've done:
                eoslounge.com, yourstressmanager.com, jcduchene.com.

Same is true for more complex CMS sites--
                for example, quiznosfranchises.com and theguidetohealthandhealing.com

We're customizing our own packages so that we can repeat implementations for small businesses--
                we're hitting the local service businesses-- dentists, surgeons, lawyers-- can be almost templated.

Love to hear what you think.
                    intechspecial Ranger

Thank you for your kind response and approval of my comment.

I am extremely appreciative to recieve some positive feedback on rare occasion.

I will review your sites shortly.
                      intechspecial Ranger

After reviewing the sites, and giving it hardly a thought, I came to a conclusion.

You will be successful with relative ease, especially if you are skilled in sales.

Door to door in this venue will certainly turn positive results.
                        Lighthouse24 Ranger
                        Yes, my attorney's website is exactly that. She's delighted with it (replaced a "traditional" site that was expensive to maintain and far less functional for her purposes).
                            intechspecial Ranger
                            Believe it or not my attorney does not have a website. He is definitely one of the best in the NE Ohio area in what he does.

I keep telling him every time I touch base that he needs a website, but he does not see a need. I guess it is an old school thing. If I pressure him, he says "maybe when I retire".

Funny thing how the differences in generation can give us a different in perspective on today's technology.
                                Navigator
                                @intechspecial: Believe it or not, there are still those who believe in the old style of doing things, rather than hopping on this 'internet' thing. Alot of them seem to think it would be too hard or the overall increase would be too negligable, but hard figures state otherwise as more and more people gain access and learn more about their markets on the web. I guess if he's the best, word of mouth alone keeps him afloat.
                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                    Yes this is true. In all actuality I agree with the "old school" sense of values and beliefs, I just do not agree with their understanding of technology.

The main point of view I agree with of old school is RESPECT.

Unfortunately to many old schoolers and new schoolers forget this key concept.
                                        Navigator
                                        Precisely the point, intech! The old school style of face-to-face commerce brings a deeper sense of connection and respect for those that you deal business with. Anyone can have a flashy website and write a blurb about themselves, but it's purely reputation that makes a business a good one. For those that take the leap to the internet, it's great if they've already established a firm reputation in their area, that way more people can learn about them and see what a shining example they are. I won't criticize them if they do not care for one, but in todays world, most mediums of information are slowly moving into the digital age.
                              Gberry Wayfarer
                              Are you savvy with Wordpress, could you offer some advice on customizing, i looke at my dashboard and see on up or down!
                              do you have any web support sites, forums etc

would appreciate any input!
                              thanks

-gberry :)
                                Christy09 Wayfarer
                                Wordpress really rock! But in terms of widgets and java application, you should go with blogger.com.