Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 2:54 PM by intechspecial

Hot food truck

onegreatguy08 Newbie
      Hello all ! Im trying to buy a hot food truck.(.kitchen on wheels). I just need info on where to sell my products. Any info will be great.
        • Re: Hot food truck
          Navigator
          A place where people are hungry for hot food. I'm just kidding, but being serious - I see you live in New Hampshire, so it's safe to say that it's pretty cold up there now? What sort of products are you going to sell? I would imagine something like soup since it's the staple image for the hot food market. Personally, I would try to find an area with alot of outdoor construction or business going on and hand out deals to establish roots. That's a dynamic location considering they can't build forever. which is great since You're on wheels. Also, you may want to see about fairs or outdoor events like concerts, and setting up shop there.

Also, just as addendum, please make sure to license yourself through your states Food Safety board for a Mobile Unit permit: http://www.umass.edu/nefe/state_specific/state_nh.html
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            intechspecial Ranger
            You are going to need a vendor license and obviously a license to sale perishables.

Check with your local Small Business Administration or SCORE office.

The great thing about the SBA and SCORE is they offer advice for FREE!

Welcome to the community, and email me a hot dog when you are up and running! ;)

Mike (inTech "Special")
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              There was a related thread back inthe summer that might have a couple of useful tips:
              Just started a food truck in austin any advice is highly app

Another thing to consider beyond what's already been suggested is to explore volunteer opportunities -- maybe deliver food to a shelter or run a meals-on-wheels route one day a week. Most charities that provide those services are suffering in this economy, so it could create some appreciative connections for you in the community that will stimulate other business leads and opportunities. It could also get you featured in a newspaper or TV story -- always good for business!

Welcome to the community and good luck!
                  onegreatguy08 Newbie
                  Thanks once again. Im glad i joined this community. You people have great ideas. If i could give advice i sure will. Cause i sure cant give money.
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      Zip where others zag!! Go after office workers!

Hear me out, depending on your menu - people in offices would love to get a quick and afforded lunch delivered to them. Contact the building managers or the HR folks at the companies to see if you could arrange to come unto their property to sell food, after you get all the needed certification and all. Construction sites are temporary, but offices are constant. I interned at an advertising agency in SC many moons ago where on Friday the Food Truck came by once a week. It was so interesting to see these professionals lined up at the truck like kids in front of the ice cream man.

Everyone enjoys good food! I think by expanding your view of potential targets you can really be successful at this. Don't forget the constructions sites but try to add some non-traditional locations to your weekly route.

Good luck.
                        intechspecial Ranger
                        It is always best when the economy is at a loss, to give advice.

I have not had a hot dog for almost 6 months. After hearing you talk about the vendor truck, I can almost smell the fresh smell of some boiling hot dogs.

Time for lunch, when is the door to door hot dog guy coming?

I wonder what advice he might have for me today.
                      caffeinated Scout
                      Hi *onegreatguy08*!

I found that working with the town can yield great opportunities. Find out when your community has fairs or other outdoor events and set up shop. Given the time of year, any youth sports venue should be a gold mine (soccer, football and field hockey games). As always, industrial parks have always been a staple for hot food trucks.

Good luck,
                      caffeinated