Post a new topic
    65 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2008 10:05 PM by intechspecial

Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs

intechspecial Ranger

Does anyone know if Bank Of America offers a corporate supplier diversity program?

I am a disabled volunteer web developer and could use assistance on any level.

Outside of doing a google search, can anyone refer me to an organization or corporation that might be willing to assist me in my efforts to locate a Corpotate Supplier Diversity Program Sponsor?

Thanks,

Mike Stratton(330)802-0285
      http://www.freeits.net
        • Re: Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs
          intechspecial Ranger
          Maybe I should have posted this as a request from the Small Business Online Community Support team.

Support Team - Do you know if Bank Of America offers any type of Corporate Supplier Diversity Program?

If they do how might I contact someone?

Thanks
          inTech "Special"
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            Are you a certified minority-owned, woman-owned, or disabled veteran-owned business. If not, I don't think they do. If so, visit:
            http://www.bankofamerica.com/supplierdiversity/index.cfm?template=sddi_supp_cert_pol_ov.cfm
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  So that link answered your question, right?
                      intechspecial Ranger
                      No actually the link did not answer my question, although it was helpful.

I am looking for more of direct contacts if possible.

Bank of America, probably has 1,000 requests a day from businesses that are diverse.

I am nobody to them, and my request and attempt to do business with them via the site you mentioned will only take up more of my time, with very little or no results.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                          They WANT to do business with minority-owned, women-owned, and disabled veteran-owned businesses. They are formally RECOGNIZED and REWARDED for doing so. Consequently, they set up a SPECIFIC PROCESS to help those businesses work with them. That process and the link provided IS the direct contact with them. Who suggested to you that NOT pursuing that path would somehow be a better way to go and a better use of your time?
                          intechspecial Ranger
                          The biggest problem I see with the this type of offering on a corporate level is that it is more of a "marketing" strategy then it is an acutal offering.

The public eye sees you as being a giving and moral corporation, to offer such a thing.

To the little guy like me, it simply means the competition will squash me before I have a chance.

Even if I get past the initial "approval round" when it is all said and done, it works much better for a corporation, to focus their efforts on a business that is owned by a woman, person in a wheelchair, or minority owned.

The public eye would scrutinize and judge the business for making such a poor decision to utilize an "insane" owned and operated business.

So why would I even focus my efforts on this level?

I will give you a very simple answer to this question. Because I can.

I would rather live on the streets living out of garbage cans, then to do business with any organization that despises me because I have a disability that is beyond my control.

I am not ashamed that I have a mental illness, although it is difficult to openly admit this to anyone who might have a "pre-conceived" idea of what it is and who I am.

We live in a society where it is openly and widely accepted that mental illness discrimination is appropriate and correct. Society is convinced on such a level of this that they are biased and blind to how this affects those afflicted by this disease.

Their are laws that protect people from racism, terrorism, discrimination, and such.

A system that encourages discrimination will most certainly not convict or press the issue of discrimination, by any means.

Since the change to my website where I disclose I am mentally ill openly, business requests have plummeted. The really strange thing is that traffic has quadrupled.

Entertainment has a value.

Values also is a man that will stand atop his morals and convictions, even if he stands alone.

I am a nobody, I am societies "MADMAN", yet I will succeed.
                              Lighthouse24 Ranger
                              How do you KNOW that? Have you followed through the entire process with BoA or another major bank before?

You replied "yes" to my question asking if you were a certified minotiry-owned, women-owned, or disabled veteran-owned business. Which is it?

The questions you posted were "Does anyone know if Bank Of America offers a corporate supplier diversity program?" and "Can anyone . . . assist me in my efforts to locate a Corpotate Supplier Diversity Program Sponsor?"

Asked and answered. What EXACTLY are you looking for, beyond that?
                                  intechspecial Ranger

Luckiest,

I do not know this to be fact, but it is only my experience in general when working with corporations. Bank of America could be the exception.

I have a Certified Minority Owned Business(due to disability).

My original request to become a certified Small Disadvantaged Business was denied because I do not meet any of the requirements you stated. I am not a white man, and I am not veteran.

If you notice you must be a veteran to achieve SDB status when having a disability.

I responded to this disapproval and was able to achieve Certified SBD status because they understood that a disability is a legitimate disadvante in todays business world.

So before I go through all the paperwork, phone calls, emails, collaboration, bidding and such, I need to first establish that I will even be considered, as it seems that my disadvantage will make it even more difficult to achieve success.

Why would I want to waiste any corporations time or mine if their is not even a chance. This is the reason I need to speak to someone directly.
                                      intechspecial Ranger
                                      That was a stupid typo. I said that I was not a white man.

I meant to say, I am a white man.
                                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                          So your company is certified by the National Minority Supplier Development Council?
                                              intechspecial Ranger

The United States Small Business Administration
                                                intechspecial Ranger
                                                I was not aware that the National Minorirty Supplier Development Council offered a Governement certification.

Is not the NBSDC a private sector?
                                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                                    Oops sorry.

SDB8(a) certifcation.

I wish there was a way to hit the back button to correct typos.
                                                        Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                        Going back to my original post, if you're not certified by the NMSDC, then the answer (as stated initially) is "no." It wouldn't matter if you met face-to-face with every person on the bank's Board of Directors, the answer would be "no" (as far as doing business with them as a certified minority supplier).
                                                            intechspecial Ranger
                                                            So I am of the understanding that you work with or for Bank Of America?
                                                              intechspecial Ranger
                                                              Obviously Bank of America is of the private sector.
                                                                intechspecial Ranger
                                                                Read my posts a little BEFORE you comment it might help you in you efforts.

I asked you if the NMSDC was of the private sector. If they are of the private sector then they would have absolutely no bearing on any business recieving a SDB certification. The SDB certification is a government certifcation.

As a business consultant I thought you would understand this.

So are you or are you not a Bank Of America representative?

If you are not then why are you claiming to understand how things work?

Reading the Bank of America website does not give you the authority or ability to act on Bank of America's behalf.
                                                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                                                    Once again, I would like to redirect this post to the Small Business Online Community Support team, and not someone who has a direct contact.

Question is, pleae:

Corporate Supplier Diversity Program, Any referrals someone can give me?
                                                                        Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                        I have gone through the entire process a while back but did not get the project, but I found that doing so was really educational because BOA did consider my small little agency. I have decided not to avail myself of the process for a variety of personal reasons, but I would encourage you try it first.
                                                                            intechspecial Ranger
                                                                            Thanks for the encouragement Iwrite.
                                                                              intechspecial Ranger
                                                                              Iwrite & Lighthouse -

If I may ask you a straight forward question, and receive a straight forward response, it would be appreciated.

Why is it that at times your replies to me are fair and genuine, and other times you attack on every level imaginable?

Would it not be better for this community to always respond from a positive standpoint, then to constantly try and aggravate certain members?

I am not quite sure of your motivation for responding on this level.
                                                                                  Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                                  Intech,

I don't know what to say to this. But I am tired of this.

Look at how you have gone off in this thread and ask yourself who really has the problem? I mean, you attacked me in two other post for telling people not to post the same message repeatedly, you attacked me and another in a post about web design. The way I see it, you are the one always attacking and making accusations about people and their motivates. You ask questions but if it doesn't feel or seem to be the answer you like you accuse people of highjacking a thread. It is you who post questions and then attack people for answering them or you attack folks for not responding.

I refuse to allow you or anyone else tell me how I should answer a question. I and others have exercise much restraint with you considering the things you have written in response to my posts. But even I have my limits. This thread is a prime example, Lighthouse gave you sound and reasonable advice and you launched personal attack after personal attack on him because you wanted some other answer. No matter your situation, you need to look at your actions and words, and realize you crossed the line a long time ago.

Being disabled does not give you the right to behave the way you do.
                                                                              Lighthouse24 Ranger

Intechspecial, you asked:

So are you or are you not a Bank Of America representative?

I am not (and you knew that).

If you are not then why are you claiming to understand how things work?

I have four small business clients that are certified and actively participating in Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs, eleven large business and government clients that have formal programs and incentives to utilize small businesses as suppliers (including a major bank), and am both a veteran and small business owner myself -- so there's a good chance that I know as much about how these programs work as anyone in this forum who was likely to read your question and offer you a response.

If I make a post answering a question in this community, it's because I know something about that topic and am trying to help the member who asked.

I answered your question fully, accurately, and with a desire to help. Your replies back to me seemed argumentative and unnecessarily snide.
                                                                                  intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                  This still does not assist me on the level I need, and this is exactly the problem I run into when requesting assitance.

I could have done a google search and found the information you gave me, or I could of searched the Bank Of America website.

I am most certainly not trying to be argumentative, only trying to understand your qualifications for offering your advice.

I started this thread as a way to find support, not to debate who is write or wrong.

Some of your responses point to that you do not understand SDB Certification, and this interests me as to why you are posting on this thread.
                                                                                      intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                      The original idea behind this thread, was to reach out to the community to find a potential supporter in what I am doing.

Your support is only making it more difficult.

I am just trying to find some contact information (phone or email), of someone that might be able to help.

Leading me to a URL is specifically what I requested I did not need help with in the start of this thread.
                                                                                        Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                        Good gosh, I understand SDB certification plenty well, but it's not relevant to Bank Of America's corporate supplier diversity program -- which is what you asked about.
                                                                                            intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                            Lighthouse -

You stated that you have to be certified as a minority, disabled veteran, woman, etc).

So what certifcation are you speaking in regards to?

Please elaborate.
                                                                                                Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                                As already stated, National Minority Supplier Development Council certification.
                                                                                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                                  For women-owned businesses, the Women Business Enterprise National Council certification.
                                                                                                    Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                                    For disabled veteran-owned businesses, the Association for Service for Disabled Veterans certification.
                                                                                                        intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                        Oops you suddenly added the Disabled Veterans as well.

And how do you apply for these certfications?
                                                                                                          intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                          I feel like I am interviewing for the high school debate team.
                                                                                                              intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                              I am sure that Bank of America would accept the SDB 8(A) certfication as well.

Once again this gets me nowhere lighthouse, but thank you for your assistance.
                                                                                                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                                                  Intechspecial: I am sure that Bank of America would accept the SDB 8(A) certfication as well.

On what are basing that conclusion? I mean, it's your time and energy -- but personally if a big business is telling my small business how to do business with them, and other small businesses have successfully done business with that same big business by following that exact process, then I think I'd follow that process instead the one I want to use.
                                                                                                                      intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                                      I agree with you completely in regards to this.

The problem I have found is that Big Businesses does not wish for me to do business with them, and I am overlooked.

I end up spending days, hours, weeks, months, trying to generate contracts to absolutely no avail.

I felt that it would be easier for me to get a straight forward answer via an email or phone contact, a business or Executive that might be able to assist me considering my circumstances.

If I am not able to speak with someone directly, why would I want to try and generate business when the competition on this level is extreme, and I am considered a "poor choice" for any big business.
                                                                                                                          intechspecial Ranger

If I may try and widen my approach to this thread, please, assistance requested.

Once again I must reempahsize the point of this thread.

If you know of contact information in regards to any Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs I would appreciate your help.

I am not looking for something you can find during a google search, I am more specifically looking for direct contact information of someone that might be able to help.

Thank you.

Mike Stratton

Disabled Volunteer Web Developer
                                                                                                                          (330)802-0285 Cell
                                                                                                                            Lighthouse24 Ranger

Yes, the level of competition is extreme. That's business. Compete or get out. It's the rule for all of us, regardless of abilities or circumstances.

Federal, state, and local governments have programs to help disadvantaged businesses, but the private sector (including Bank of America) is under no such obligation. Large businesses voluntarily utilize disadvantaged businesses as suppliers, and therefore get to make up their own rules and establish their own process for doing it.

You're asking for an "inside connection" to someone in one of those large companies who will subvert an established purchasing or contracting process on your behalf -- so you don't have to compete on the same level as every other business owner in your field. If a corporate executive was ethically willing to do that (I certainly wouldn't be), then don't you think he/she would choose to help a relative, friend, or neighbor in "getting around the system" rather than you (a total stranger)?

What you're expecting just isn't realistic.
                                                                                                                                intechspecial Ranger

I would have to agree that it is unrealistic.

It is even more unrealistic to expect to be able to compete at the level Corporations demand, as I have not been able to establish my company.

Federal, state and local governments most certainly do have progams to help disadvantaged businesses, but it is even more difficult to find assistance on that level then you would the private sector.

My idea comes from a standpoint of desperately reaching at things that might be able to help me in my efforts.

I heard of this "Corporate Supplier Diversity Program", and thought to myself "I am as diverse as they get, they would love to help me".

You are absolutely correct that this is unrealistic, so what do I do, throw in the towel?

There has to be some way of success, some way to make this work, in spite of my disability and the discrimination I receive because of it.

Every "challange" I meet in business is met with me out for the count usually within the first 10 seconds of round 1.

As far as business goes, I am the best at not succeeding, and the most persistent in refusing to give up.

Who really cares?
                                                                                                                                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

Hey, I wanted to play pro football, and I might have even had a "connection" to help me (my college coach was Otto Graham, a name I'm guessing that someone in your part of world might recognize). The truth is, I wasn't big enough, fast enough, strong enough, or skilled enough. So I had a choice to make -- spend years dragging around open tryouts, taxi squads, semi-pro leagues, etc. (i.e., "failing" at being a pro football player) -- or pursue something I could be really good at. It was an easy decision, and within a few years I found a career that I didn't even know existed before that (and it wasn't the one I was pursuing initially). Now, I'm happier and more successful at it than I ever would have been trying to do something I didn't have the ability to do.

I hired a new graduate in the mid-80s who majored in computer science because she felt certain that there would be good paying jobs in that field. She was, however, a lousy programmer, and deep down, didn't really enjoy the work. I was honest with her about her skills, and fortunately, she was honest with herself -- so we explored some career alternatives. Today, she is a highly respected surgical nurse in well-known hospital (also makes more money and has more job security than she'd have ever had as a programmer).

It sounds as though you are being honest and saying that you weren't blessed with the ability to successfully do what you're doing -- just I acknowledged that I wasn't blessed with the ability to play on Sundays, and as Nan acknowledged that programming wasn't her thing. You WERE blessed with the ability to do SOMETHING very, very well however -- and it's never too late to explore, discover, and pursue whatever that might be.
                                                                                                                                        intechspecial Ranger

You are talking about football and I am speaking of Information Technology.

You are speaking about not being fast enough to play football, and I am talking about someone that has handicap.

It seems we are still not on the same page.

My qualfications, experience, as well as education validate my abilities.

I can see how you have had continued and ongoing loss in business and such, as your ability to deflate someone on every level is great.

You might want to spend a little more time evaulating your people skills, and a little less time deflating all that come in your path.
                                                                                                                                          intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                                                          I never said that I am not blessed with the ability to be successful, I did state that I have not been given the chance.

Your website states that you have a Phd, and offer assistance as a business coach.

What successful businesses have you coached?

It seems you offer coaching assist from the standpoint of "your stink get better or get out".

I am quite sure this works in the NFL and the military, but for small business it is sure to destroy all that think you are competent.

You may review my testimonials, as well as review my public profile on linkedin to find that I am over qualified in what I do.

You may continue to deflate me if you would like, but how is this helping your efforts to be validated as a "Business Coach with a Doctorate"?
                                                                                                                                              intechspecial Ranger

If of course you have the ability to specifically point out where I am lacking in skills, I would be more then happy to discuss this with you.

It seems to me you are coming from a standpoint of telling someone they stink in a field you have absolutely no knowledge in.

What relevant knowledge do you have in information technology, or even business for that matter?

Who if anyone can verify this experience?
                                                                                                                                                  intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                                                                  Ok here is another try.

Again I must reempahsize the point of this thread.

I am looking for assitance from anyone that is an employee or representative of Bank Of America. My request is to find contact information in regards to the any Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs Bank Of America might have.

If you are not a rep or employee of Bank of America please do not respond to this with information you find on the internet, as this will not help me.

Also, if you know of contact information in regards to any Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs I would appreciate your help.

I am not looking for something you can find during a google search, I am more specifically looking for direct contact information of someone that might be able to help.

Thank you.

Mike Stratton

(330)802-0285 Cell
                                                                                                                                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Your exact words: "I have a disability that will insure (sic) my failure. My business is a complete loss on a financial level. I am down and out for the count."

Excuse me for interpreting those words as an indication that maybe you ought to consider another type of business or line of work. Again, I'm trying help and you respond with snide remarks.
                                                                                                                                                        Lighthouse24 Ranger

You wrote: "I can see how you have had continued and ongoing loss in business and such."

You have me confused with someone else. I've certainly not had a "continued and ongoing loss" in any of the four businesses I have ownership interest in.
                                                                                                                                                            intechspecial Ranger

Very Good. Thank you Lighthouse.

Ok here is another try.

Again I must reempahsize the point of this thread.

I am looking for assitance from anyone that is an employee or representative of Bank Of America. My request is to find contact information in regards to the any Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs Bank Of America might have.

If you are not a rep or employee of Bank of America please do not respond to this with information you find on the internet, as this will not help me.

Also, if you know of contact information in regards to any Corporate Supplier Diversity Programs I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Mike Stratton

(330)802-0285 Cell
                                                                                                                                                            Lighthouse24 Ranger

You wrote: "What relevant knowledge do you have in information technology, or even business for that matter?"

Obviously, you looked up my name and at least one of my business' websites (which anyone else is welcome to do, too), so you know darn good and well what the answer to that is. But since you decided to question my credentials in a public forum . . .

You already know my BS was in computer science and my MS was in management, you've seen links to dozens of articles and stories that appeared in mainstream IT publications, and you know I was named one of the top five IT project managers in North America. You also know that I have 30+ years of management experience, that I teach both business leadership seminars and MBA courses, and have co-authored 26 textbooks on the subject.

None of which has anything to do with the original post, a subject I also have knowledge and experience with (as previously stated), and which I answered accurately.
                                                                                                                                                              Lighthouse24 Ranger

Some people are "coachable." Some, clearly (and sadly) are not.
                                                                                                                                              Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                                                                              You apply for the Women Business Enterprise National Council certification through the Women Business Enterprise National Council.
                                                                                                                                                Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                                                                                                You apply for the Association for Service for Disabled Veterans certification through the Association for Service for Disabled Veterans.
                                                                                                                                  Thespian Newbie
                                                                                                                                  Looked int he CCR and you ARE NOT a certified 8(a) company. I do see the self certified SDB dertification, but as of October 1 everyone in the industry knows that is pretty useless.

Remember that there are no 'levels' of disadvantaged certification. If you hold one, you are competing head to head against all other companies in your field that hold that.
                                                                                                                intechspecial Ranger

Once again I must reempahsize the point of this thread.

Thank you.

Mike Stratton

(330)802-0285 Cell
                                                                                                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

The more you do what you've always done,

The more you think what you've always thought

And the more go where you've always gone . . .

The more you'll get what you've always got.

If you are in any way unhappy with anything in your personal or business life, nothing about that situation will change until YOU do.

Again, that's not a slam or putdown -- it's a genuine piece of helpful advice. Please consider it.